Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Picture Thread

Mac Mini Picture Thread
pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 02:43 PM

Apple introduces Mac mini. New member of Mac family Slot-load Combo optical drive. Play DVDs, burn CDs. Queit. Tiny, FireWire, ethernet, USB 2.o, both DVI/VGA output. Very tine. Height is half the size of an iPod mini. BYODKM. Bring Your Own Display, Keyboard, Mouse. Firs tone is $499: 1.25GHz 256MB/40GB More memory and larger hard drive for $599. Will ship on January 22. Ships in a box smaller than the regular iPod box.

i look in your general direction

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 02:58 PM

Can't wait to watch the movies of the mini mac on apples site...

C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 03:06 PM

Apple once again shoots themselves in the foot...

Look at it this way...A PC user wants to switch to the Mac Mini and goes to the Apple store and is told that the mini is "under $500"..GREAT!!! But wait there's more...since your PC uses a PS2 keyboard and mouse you need to shell out another $50-75 for a new keyboard and mouse. "But wait, I already have a keyboard/mouse..." But this is a Mac and it won't work with a PS2 KB/Mouse...

So your "under $500" computer is now closer to $600. Even the cheapest Dell comes with a KB and mouse.

Big mistake Apple. You just lost 80-90% of all PC switchers that wanted a Mac under $500.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 03:19 PM

What a fantastic new addition to the Apple line. So small and compact and packs enough power to please the home user!

Sweet!
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2005, 03:20 PM

Some folks will complain no matter what.

Me? I love this thing ... I'll be ordering 1 ... or 2 ...

:-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 03:20 PM

1.25GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo drive
DVI or VGA video output
AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth optional
$499

1.42GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo drive
DVI or VGA video output
AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth optional
$599

Looks like a winner to me. The whole lack of keyboard and mouse I believe is a non-issue. I know a few people that this system will be great for.

brianb
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by C.A.S.:

Look at it this way...A PC user wants to switch to the Mac Mini and goes to the Apple store and is told that the mini is "under $500"..GREAT!!! But wait there's more...since your PC uses a PS2 keyboard and mouse you need to shell out another $50-75 for a new keyboard and mouse. "But wait, I already have a keyboard/mouse..." But this is a Mac and it won't work with a PS2 KB/Mouse...

So your "under $500" computer is now closer to $600. Even the cheapest Dell comes with a KB and mouse.

Big mistake Apple. You just lost 80-90% of all PC switchers that wanted a Mac under $500.

Ummm doesn't every P/S2 device sold in a store come as a usb device with a P/S2 adapter now anyway?? And I can walk into any CompUSA and walk out of the store with a new USB keyboard and mouse for under $50
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

trevorM
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 03:23 PM

I hardly think that will be the case... Seriously.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 03:26 PM

Most of the keyboards are USB, but there are some that are PS/2, and to plug it in to the mini you can just buy a PS2 to USB adapter for $5.00. These are y-cables that have an input for both the mouse and the keyboard. No problem.

WOW HUGE BARRIER!

This thing is going to sell like nuts.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 03:26 PM

Isn't the mac mini nearly portable?

I have a problem, I need to be portable between two places do I get a powerbook which weighs 3.1 kg or do I get two monitors and keyboard and mouse and one mac mini (1.32 kg)to shift between the 2 places?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 03:29 PM

I'll be buying one if I could upgrade the HD myself. I'm instore for an external HD, but for a few hundred more I could get a digital hub for all my vid's and music and good enough for some photoshop and illustrator work......not too shabby Apple.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

osxisfun
Jan 11, 2005, 03:29 PM

daddy wants. (3 of them)

ps. wow it only took a minute for someone to complain. a new bitch record.

osxisfun
Jan 11, 2005, 03:31 PM

kiwibabe, i would consider going the mini route if i where you.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 03:33 PM

So if I read the article on apple's site correctly it seems that you can upgrade mini mac's graphic card!! SWEET!!
( Last edited by phobos; Jan 11, 2005 at 03:38 PM. )

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 03:38 PM

Apple once again shoots themselves in the foot...{snip insane babble}
Wow dude, you're seriously out of touch. But hey, I guess we'll see, won't we? I really doubt people will let a $20 (not $75) keyboard and mouse stand in their way of getting rid of Windows and Spyware from their lives. Those that want a Mac mini will get a PS2->USB adapter or new keyboards/mice, simple as that.

mbryda
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 03:42 PM

Or the salesguy says "You just need this $10 PS2 to USB adapter".

That would be the more realistic thing to do.

Nice try, Troll.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by phobos:
So if I read the article on apple's site correctly it seems that you can upgrade mini mac's graphic card!! SWEET!!
a Radeon 9200 graphics chip and 32MB DDR SDRAM for it.

Nope. NOT upgradable.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 03:45 PM

It looks like the RAM and possibly the hard drive are required to be upgraded by an Apple Authorized Service Center.

Other than that I really like this machine. The Cube for the rest of us. Now, if only my better half would let me get it....

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 03:48 PM

It's fine not to have a keyboard and a mouse. I mean, MOST people already have an old computer, anyway - and especially switchers, of course, they already have a machine with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor - so for them, the Mini should foot the bill. Except it has too little RAM.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 03:53 PM

I'm not sure why Apple is recommending authorized dealer install, the thing seems to open up pretty simply:

But most places can no doubt fill it up with more RAM either for free after rebate/with promotion, or for the usual $35-odd. Personally I'd get a cheap dimm and put it in myself.

jbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 03:55 PM

I am a newbie to Apples.. i was a long time hater based on what others said. But once i actually tried one i loved it and bought an ibook for school. This new mac is really nifty and would be sweet for a living room computer to serve mp3/dvd/other media..

if only it had come with 5.1 Anyone know of a decent USB 5.1 sound card?

jnrjr79
Jan 11, 2005, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
I'm not sure why Apple is recommending authorized dealer install, the thing seems to open up pretty simply:

But most places can no doubt fill it up with more RAM either for free after rebate/with promotion, or for the usual $35-odd. Personally I'd get a cheap dimm and put it in myself.
Would that void the warranty on this one? I'm saying, does Apple consider this a machine that isn't user-serviceable?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 04:05 PM

I didn't see this anywhere but how many RAM slots does this thing have? I am guessing only one since it has a 1GB limit.

Rychiar
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 04:09 PM

if the user can pop in a 250 gig drive it would be so worth it but i doubt they designed it so easily. plus yur lookin at addin almost 400 bux in extras to make this thing wireless, with decent ram, etc. i mean my imac G5 cost me 2280 with the 100 discount apple had after thanksgiving and thats not counting the airport express i later bought or the external backup harddrive cus i liek to have 2 drives
iMac G5 1.8 ghz 20in. 1.5 gigs RAM, 250 gig Harddrive, Fully Wireless
60 Gig Original Overpriced iPod photo
Power Mac G4 450 768 Megs RAM
5 Gig Original iPod (RIP 12-20-04) :(

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by jbass:
I am a newbie to Apples.. i was a long time hater based on what others said. But once i actually tried one i loved it and bought an ibook for school. This new mac is really nifty and would be sweet for a living room computer to serve mp3/dvd/other media..

My only serious complaint with the Mini is a lack of optical digital out supporting 5.1. That's a deal-breaker for those who want to use the Mini as a multimedia PC.

M-Audio and others have or will have some solution but built in would have been more consistent with Apple's current line of Macs.

-S

viaChgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 04:18 PM

Does the graphics card have enough juice to run Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator?

PC user here wants to buy one!!

I'm thinking with this, I could get one to hook up to my Samsung DLP in the living room for use as the 'home' computer. Bluetooth keyboard + mouse & surf the net form the couch, view photos, iTunes...firewire in from my Moto 6208 DVR box to archive HD shows...wow...the possibilities!!

Jonathan-Tanya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 04:18 PM

hey, don't shoot the messenger, but Apple SHOULD have included a cheap keyboard and mouse.

The original iMac was a great seller for Apple, but it could have sold even more with a floppy drive. A lot of people that considered it, chose not to get it, since they couldn't see buying a computer without a floppy drive. Doesn't matter if they didn't need it, if apple was right or wrong.

Steve said this computer finally eliminates the excuses for switching. Actually, it should be a great seller too, but they will lose sales for not having a keyboard and mouse.

The dummies of the world will find a computer with the keyboard and mouse to be a better value.

I want them to drive marketshare to the max...hate to see that they aren't firing with every cylinder...even if this is a great product that will undoubtedly sell OK.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by jbass:

Sonica Theater

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 04:23 PM

Not too bad a toy. The RAM upgrade thing bugs me (Apple Authorized Service Center?...c'mon!). But this was true back in the old Mac Plus and SE/30 days. I'm waiting for my PowerBook's warranty to run out before I re-Mac again...

Voch

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 04:26 PM

Anybody have the tech list on whats user installable and so forth. I really want to be able to up the HD myself, if so this new Mac is definetly in the books for me.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Jonathan-Tanya:
hey, don't shoot the messenger, but Apple SHOULD have included a cheap keyboard and mouse.

The original iMac was a great seller for Apple, but it could have sold even more with a floppy drive. A lot of people that considered it, chose not to get it, since they couldn't see buying a computer without a floppy drive. Doesn't matter if they didn't need it, if apple was right or wrong.

Steve said this computer finally eliminates the excuses for switching. Actually, it should be a great seller too, but they will lose sales for not having a keyboard and mouse.

The dummies of the world will find a computer with the keyboard and mouse to be a better value.

I want them to drive marketshare to the max...hate to see that they aren't firing with every cylinder...even if this is a great product that will undoubtedly sell OK.
As long as Apple keeps plenty of these in stock I don't see an issue:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3581&CatId=469

mbryda
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by viaChgo:
Does the graphics card have enough juice to run Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator?
YES!!!! Any graphics card can handle those apps. They are just shuffling 2d images around, which even an aincient video card can do. The super video cards of today really only are needed for 3d games. My iMac/800 with a GeForceMX runs Panther perfectly.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 04:57 PM

NEVER BUY RAM FROM APPLE!

They charge up the wazoo. If you are getting a mini from Macmall or such they usually toss in 512+ RAM for like $39 after rebate usually. I don't see them up at Macmall yet but I'm sure they will be soon with some kind of bundle deal.

I think the Mini will be very nice for alot of things--writing stuff, surfing, email, light DTP, all the ilife stuff, which is what most people do with their computers anyway.

I would have liked to have seen a keyboard and mouse tossed in too!

That's really my only beef with it.

segfault66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I'll be buying one if I could upgrade the HD myself. I'm instore for an external HD, but for a few hundred more I could get a digital hub for all my vid's and music and good enough for some photoshop and illustrator work......not too shabby Apple.
I've read on avsforum that the hard drive may be a 1.8 inch notebook drive. That would be a bummer for me. I'd like to put a 3.5 inch 400GB drive into the iMac mini and get rid of my external FW drives that I use with my PowerBook.

Update: Oops, I mean 2.5 inch notebook drive.
( Last edited by segfault66; Jan 11, 2005 at 05:51 PM. )

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 05:20 PM

I don't believe that it is 1.8" hard drive, which is too expensive for Mac mini price point.

While it is a good system for someone else, it is not for me. I cannot play World of Warcraft on 32 MB VRAM very well. If it has BTO option, I will buy one.

RoRo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 05:25 PM

So it looks like the RAM card is right up front. Any reason why a pull out and replace with a cheap 1Ger scenerio would not work? I think I can live with 80G for what I am looking for.

One more question...if you are looking at this product...why would you ever need more RAM than 1G? It seems like this would be a serious product mismatch for you?

Just curious.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 05:30 PM

First I'm gonna say good job apple on making a LOGICAL progression for those with the old CRT iMac, most of us using a G3 DO NOT NEED a G5 a 1.42G4 is exactly what I wanted. also, I am a little pissed about the continued lack of a 17" display, but I won't complain about a 20". As for the video card it is a vast improvment over the Rage 128 I've been using. And for RAM Apple only wants an extra $67 for 512MB RAM not bad, but if you want a gig look elsewhere (newegg)(assuming it is user-servicible or u can have a apple person use the memory u purchase) as a gig of pc2700 can be found for under $160 and apple wants over 350(let's all say rip off in unison, shall we)
I can only think of this one way, Old iMac G3 new:750w/Edu discount, Mac Mini less than 700 w/o monitor that's a pretty good deal when u consider the size and power in this little box

P.S. I doubt it is anything smaller than a 2.5" NB drive as the pricepoint could accheived!
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 05:33 PM

Everyone saying that it SHOULDn't be a problem for us geeks to open it up and replace the RAM ourselves...

Look at the picture of it without it's top on. See those giant clips lining the sides? Those = hard to release. I'm betting at least - my experience with them, disassembling iBooks and PowerBooks and plenty of other stuff that wasn't meant to be taken apart, makes me think that Apple has a custom tool for popping that top off...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

indigoimac
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 05:37 PM

I know I'm double posting, but don't the tabs look like what hold some of the ipods together,I could be wrong, but if that is the case the technique for opening those could be applied to the mac mini
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

RoRo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 06:00 PM

Hmmm...credit card removal trick??? Kinda like removing automobile liner?

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 06:05 PM

I'm sure there'll be some service manuals out somewhere soon that someone will be kind enough to host or link to or, or, or,....

I haven't taken apart an iPod so dunno what that involves.

P
Jan 11, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Jonathan-Tanya:

The dummies will go to an Apple Store or a local dealer, who will also sell them a keyboard and mouse - price lowered today, btw. Or maybe they'll use the Apple Store, and considering that it asks if I want an iPod with my new iMac, I'm quite certain that it will ask quite prominently if I want a keyboard with that Mac mini. This is not the same as the iMac lacking a floppy. External floppy drives were expensive and I don't think Apple even carried them at the time.

The PC switchers might want a keyboard but definately not a mouse. Either they'll get an 87-button monstrosity from MS or Logitech or (most likely) they'll use an old mouse they have lying around. Mice have been USB with a PS/2 converter plug for long time. There is also a third market - extremely low-budget Xserves - where a keyboard is not needed.

RoRo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 06:20 PM

So what does everyone think of this configuration?

Mac mini 1.42GHz
Part Number: Z0B8
Accessory kit
Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
80GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive
56K v.92 Modem
512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
Mac OS X - U.S. English 903.00

BlueTooth Key board and Mouse 99.00

APP for Mac mini 149.00

Dell UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel 599.00 (right now)

Total package of 1,750.

I am looking for a computer to store Music and Photos, to surf the web, and misc projects like photoshop and word processing, but I do not want to get the iMac because once you are done with the computer...bye bye monitor.

What do you guys think?

P
Jan 11, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Sparkletron:
My only serious complaint with the Mini is a lack of optical digital out supporting 5.1. That's a deal-breaker for those who want to use the Mini as a multimedia PC.

M-Audio and others have or will have some solution but built in would have been more consistent with Apple's current line of Macs.

-S
That feature is only available on the G5s for now. They use a very different chipset that is not in any way compatible with the G4s. If we start seeing G4s with 5.1 sound, be very afraid - that means that the G4s are going to stay with us for long enough that Apple thinks the chipset development work needed is worth it. With the G5 being both cheaper and more powerful, I'd like to see it in every Apple line as soon as heat and power consumption allows.

mamamia
Jan 11, 2005, 06:36 PM

This computer would suit your needs fine, but you must realize you have crept into 20 inch imac terrotory in price. i know you don't want to get an imac, but i estimate that the imac will be satsifying to use literally twice as long as your loaded mac mini. The G5 and 64 mb graphics will simply run circles around the mac mini. if i were you, it would be a no brainer. besides, in three years when you are ready to sell the imac, 20 inch displays will probably cost $200, and you'll be salivating over the 30 inch display for $599.

Originally posted by RoRo:
So what does everyone think of this configuration?

Mac mini 1.42GHz
Part Number: Z0B8
Accessory kit
Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
80GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive
56K v.92 Modem
512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
Mac OS X - U.S. English 903.00

BlueTooth Key board and Mouse 99.00

APP for Mac mini 149.00

Dell UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel 599.00 (right now)

Total package of 1,750.

I am looking for a computer to store Music and Photos, to surf the web, and misc projects like photoshop and word processing, but I do not want to get the iMac because once you are done with the computer...bye bye monitor.

What do you guys think?
funky bitch

jamesl
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 06:40 PM

Would this mac be suitable for doing video editing on, in either iMovie or even Final Cut Express?

Also, wouldnt these small macs be susceptable to theft?

brianb
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 06:51 PM

It is meant to be a computer to edit i iMovie it will also work with FCE so yes you can edit video. If that is what you plan though get the 80gig version
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by jamesl:
Would this mac be suitable for doing video editing on, in either iMovie or even Final Cut Express?

Also, wouldnt these small macs be susceptable to theft?
i'm sure it's suitable for simple video editing. though I would probably go for @ least 512MB RAM.

I don't think Apple would sell it w/iLife if it wasn't capable of doing simple editing.

Gig103
Jan 11, 2005, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by viaChgo:

PC user here wants to buy one!!

I'm thinking with this, I could get one to hook up to my Samsung DLP in the living room for use as the 'home' computer. Bluetooth keyboard + mouse & surf the net form the couch, view photos, iTunes...firewire in from my Moto 6208 DVR box to archive HD shows...wow...the possibilities!!

The graphics card would do photoshop stuff okay; but gaming not really at all. Oh, and by the way you would probably find the Apple not to be ideal for home theater. For DLP (like my front projector) you want to output the exact resolution of the chip (1280x720). Until Apple allows you to change the resolution to a custom value, this isn't a good idea, since the interpolation ruins the point of having a crisp DLP.

On subject, I think it's a neat computer and Apple is on the right track, but even putting in the 64mb video card from the Powerbook would have helped tons (i can at least play WorldOfWarcraft on my pb). And 5.1 digital? Would have rocked.
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

ChadC
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 07:22 PM

Well, I would definatly be buying one if it had a better video card.

32mb is just not nearly good enough for 3D rendering.

Guess I'll just have to wait till someone cracks one open and figures out a way to put in some other card!
( Last edited by ChadC; Jan 12, 2005 at 04:14 AM. )
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Forum Links
Forum Rules