Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > best way too store digital pictures?

best way too store digital pictures?
TubaMuffins
Senior User
Mar 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

In a few weeks I will be leaving for Europe for a 3-4 week stay. Anyway, my digital camera only has a 128mb memory card and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get more free space. Should I buy another memory stick? Should I try to upload them to my iDisk at and internet cafe? Should I buy that ipod thing where i can stick my card into it? Any other suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2005, 02:05 PM

iPod - Great idea, probably the best, but you have to make sure you don't lose it.

Another memory card - Why not? Get a 256. Could get lost also.

Uploading it - probably the safest way, but the most time consuming and maybe costly.

Another alternative - see if you can burn them to a CD while you're out there.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

benb
Mar 7, 2005, 02:29 PM

I did a seven week road trip and used my iPod and the Belkin card reader. I took over 2,000 photos (about 8GB) and it worked wonderfully. My only gripe is that it imports them as one roll in iPhoto. I would wholehartedly recommend the Belkin card reader for this task.

Oh, and also I used the iPod under less than ideal circumstances. On more than one occasion the iPod battery ran out in the middle of copying the photos, usually in the National Parks; I just deleted the last import and started again when I had a charge. No ill effects.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 02:52 PM

It depends on how many pictures you might want to take, and at what resolution you're shooting at. On my 4MP Kodak, shooting at highest resolution (which I do, because it's easier to modify a pic with more detail than one with less), I can get about 180 shots out of a 256MB card. which is generally plenty, especially since I rarely travel enough to worry about it. If I were going on a 4 week trip, I would buy another card, as that would probably be the cheapest.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 05:23 PM

You should have them backed up in Photo paper. They are inmune to EMP* attacks and airport X-Rays.

* Electromagnetic pulse.

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Mar 7, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
You should have them backed up in Photo paper. They are inmune to EMP* attacks and airport X-Rays.

* Electromagnetic pulse.
airport x-rays damage memory cards? thanks
i think i will get another memory stick, thanks for the advice

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
airport x-rays damage memory cards? thanks
i think i will get another memory stick, thanks for the advice
No. No. I am kidding. I actually have no idea if the X-Rays will damage your flash cards.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 05:35 PM

i spent 3 weeks in alaska a couple years back and took my powerbook along too. after each day of taking photos, i uploaded them to the powerbook and burned a cd. i did this for the other 3 people in my group as well. it came in very handy. of course, if you don't have a powerbook, then it wouldn't be an option

extra memory cards are good, but it isn't a backup. it simply allows you to take more photos. the powerbook option above, and the ipod suggestion, are ways to create backups. that is the most important. even if you had 3 memory cards and filled them on your trip, if one were to get lost or hosed at xray, you are SOL for that part of your trip's archive. burning a cd is the only way i travel now (and now that there is a 12" laptop option, even easier to travel with, and dvd backup).

for alaska, i had a 15". a little too large, but still worked just fine. before i left on the trip, i stripped it down to only the OS as i was only using the laptop to burn cds and hop onto the net when i could to update the trip's website. i made a copy of the OS cd so i could restore the laptop if it got hosed too.

my carry on was: laptop, OS cd, 10 blank cd-rws, digital camera, 2 extra batteries, 2 extra memory cards, extra ac adapter for laptop and camera battery charger. all fit in the backup 15" laptop case sold on apple.com. traveled great.

there is another option, and doesn't require a laptop and is much smaller to travel with. for around $250, it is a cd-rw with memory card readers built in. put in a blank cd and plop in your memory card. it has a little built in display with a basic menu. make copies to the cows come home if you wish. much smaller to travel with and a cheaper solution then a powerbook (unless you have one). course, a little more expensive then the cheap ipods.

here is one of about 5 different models/brands:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=312193

edit: added a link

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Mar 7, 2005, 05:39 PM

yea, i have a 12" ibook but i am wary of taking it with me on my trip, it would be the simplest and cheapest solution (and i don't know if i can part from my ibook for 3 weeks) but it seems like a risk that i'm not sure i want to take. but that is still an option.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 11:56 PM

I just did 7 weeks in new zealand, internet cafes are a dime a dozen and charge probably $5 to burn a cd with your photos on it. Grab an extra memory stick or two, then when they're all full get em burnt and format them.

I came back with 7 CDs, with varying amounts of fullness, about 1000 3mpxl photos, cheap as chups

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 12:48 AM

Just get a larger memory card. 512 CF (if that's what you use) are getting to the very cheap realm. Plus you will have it for a long time...

Forum Links
Forum Rules