Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Coupling TV Series

Coupling TV Series
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 12:28 AM

I recently started watching Coupling (UK) on DVD through Netflix. I'll be buying the series soon. It is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen! The writing is excellent, the actors have great chemistry together, and saying that it's Friends with more sex would be a disservice.

I had heard this show was good, but I had no idea how good. I have never laughed so loudly while watching something as when I was watching Season 1. I'm on Season 3 now, and it keeps getting better.

I know I'm late to the game on this show, but I had to share.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 12:36 AM

It's excellent. Americans who can't get complex humour (or anything complex) tried to do a remake. Disaster. Sometimes I really wish we never gave you guys independence. And I know some of you feel the same way.

frankiec
Apr 11, 2005, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
It's excellent. Americans who can't get complex humour (or anything complex) tried to do a remake. Disaster. Sometimes I really wish we never gave you guys independence. And I know some of you feel the same way.
Yeah, the Internet isn't complex? Macs aren't complex? Television isn't complex? *Yawn* More Eurotrash jealousy spewing out of anti-social losers mouths hidden deep below in their mommy's basements.

More nationalistic bull$hit coming from the people that enslaved half the world from Africa to Palestine to India. No wonder people were jumping from your country, leaving in ships destined for the edges of the earth, not knowing if they'd ever see land alive again.

You still have a monarchy, for the love of god.

By the way, you didn't give us independence, you ran like rats from a sinking ship sipping pu$$y tea the entire time.

Take your bigoted remarks to the Politics/War board.
( Last edited by frankiec; Apr 11, 2005 at 01:10 AM. )

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by frankiec:
Yeah, the Internet isn't complex? Macs aren't complex? Television isn't complex? *Yawn* More Eurotrash jealousy spewing out of anti-social losers mouths hidden deep below in their mommy's basements.

More nationalistic bull$hit coming from the people that enslaved half the world from Africa to Palestine to India. No wonder people were jumping from your country, leaving in ships destined for the edges of the earth, not knowing if they'd ever see land alive again.

By the way, you didn't give us independence, you ran like rats from a sinking ship sipping pu$$y tea the entire time.

i only agree with you in regard to ror's post.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 01:18 AM

Haha, you're right. That show sucked so bad, it was painful to watch. We suck at remaking British comedies.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 01:27 AM

Perhaps it is because the UK has a monoculture when compared to a much bigger market.

Catering to smaller markets affords the inclusion of in-jokes.

But that's me, who knows nothing about British culture. Why don't you tell me a joke that will go over my head?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:42 AM

Yeah, the Internet isn't complex? Macs aren't complex? Television isn't complex? *Yawn* More Eurotrash jealousy
Silence, spoilt child, descendant of a Briton who went afar and very astray! The internet's creator was British and so is the guy who designs the best Macs. What is your Fox and CNN compared to the Beeb?
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Apr 11, 2005 at 01:56 AM. )

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:

But that's me, who knows nothing about British culture. Why don't you tell me a joke that will go over my head?
One day an Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman walked into a pub together. They each bought a pint of Guinness. Just as they were about to enjoy their creamy beverage, three flies landed in each of their pints, and were stuck in the thick head. The Englishman pushed his beer away in disgust. The Scotsman fished the fly out of his beer, and continued drinking it, as if nothing had happened. The Irishman, too, picked the fly out of his drink, held it out over the beer, and started yelling, "SPIT IT OUT, SPIT IT OUT YOU BAS**RD!!!!"
An Englishman and an Irishman are driving head on, at night, on a twisty, dark road. Both are driving too fast for the conditions and collide on a sharp bend in the road. To the amazement of both, they are unscathed, though their cars are both destroyed. To celebrate their luck both agree to put aside their dislike for the other from that moment on. The Englishman goes to the boot and fetches a 12 year old bottle of whisky. He hands the bottle to the Irishma who exclaims,''May the Irish and the English live together forever, in peace, and harmony.'' The Irishman then tips and gulps half of the bottle down before handing the bottle back. The Englishman replies, ''No thank you, I'm waiting for the police to get here.''

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 11, 2005, 01:55 AM

If you don't like the US, then why did you move there? whinger

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by blue storm 1337:
If you don't like the US, then why did you move there? whinger
I didn't. ???

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2005, 01:58 AM

BBC, KTEH (and their affiliates), and PBS are my favorite stations. They all play Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Father Ted, and a bunch of others. I also enjoy the Hitler... err, History Channel with an occasional special with Terry Jones.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:58 AM

There was an Scotsman, an Englishman and Claudia Schiffer sitting together in a carriage in a train going through Wales. Suddenly the train went through a tunnel and as it was an old style train,there were no lights in the carriages and it went completely dark. Then there was this kissing noise and the sound of a really loud slap. When the train came out of the tunnel, Claudia Schiffer and the Scotsman were sitting as if nothing had happened and the Englishman had his hand against his face as he had been slapped.

The Englishman was thinking: 'The Scottish fella must have kissed Claudia Schiffer and she missed him and slapped me instead.'

Claudia Schiffer was thinking: 'The English fella must have tried to kiss me and actually kissed the Scotsman and got slapped for it.'

And the Scotsman was thinking: 'This is great. The next time the train goes through a tunnel I'll make that kissing noise and slap that English b**tard again .

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:02 AM

At an auction in Manchester a wealthy American announced that he had lost a wad of cash worth �10,000 and would give a reward of �100 to the person who found it. From the back of the hall a Scot shouted, "I'll give ye �150!"

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 11, 2005, 02:02 AM

I didn't. ???
From http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...51#post2464786

I've been in the US for two years now and will move back home shortly. No offense to my good American brethren but I hate it here. Some love it but I'm not cut out for it at all.
It sounds like you moved there to me.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:04 AM

An Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman are sitting in a pub full of people. The Englishman says, "The pubs in England are the best. You can buy one drink and get a second one free". Everyone in the pub agreed and gave a big cheer. The Scotsman replied,"Yea. That's quite good but in Scotland you can buy one drink and get another two for free." Again, the crowd in the pub gave a big cheer. The Irishman said "Your two pubs are good, but they are not as good as the ones in Ireland. In Ireland you can buy one pint, get another three for free and then get taken into the backroom for a shag". The Englishman says "Wow! Did that happen to you?". The Irishman replies "No, but it happened to my sister!"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:06 AM

It sounds like you moved there to me.
Wew, ye be clever at grooming people's history but it says 'been here' not moved entirely. Get along now, besterd child of a Native American killing Puritan.

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 11, 2005, 02:09 AM

I didn't search your history, that would've taken ages. I read it earlier.

you lack discipline!

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:11 AM

you lack discipline!
Thanks Ahnuld.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 02:25 AM

Thanks Ahnuld.
i hate you.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Mafia:
i hate you.
Is that like one of those love-hate relationships where you hate what you love but can't have?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 02:28 AM

nope, just hate. of course i wish i did have your joke telling ability. /sarcasm

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 02:33 AM

An Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman are sitting in a pub full of people. The Englishman says, "The pubs in England are the best. You can buy one drink and get a second one free". Everyone in the pub agreed and gave a big cheer. The Scotsman replied,"Yea. That's quite good but in Scotland you can buy one drink and get another two for free." Again, the crowd in the pub gave a big cheer. The Irishman said "Your two pubs are good, but they are not as good as the ones in Ireland. In Ireland you can buy one pint, get another three for free and then get taken into the backroom for a shag". The Englishman says "Wow! Did that happen to you?". The Irishman replies "No, but it happened to my sister!"
You must have been hanging out with the wrong Americans if you have such a low concept of their IQ.

I asked you to post a joke so complex only a Brit would understand it.

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 11, 2005, 02:33 AM

hey i liked those jokes

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 05:13 AM

Going back to the subject of Coupling, when I visited the London Apple Store, Jack Davenport (Steve in Coupling) was in there . Think he had a Titanium powerbook with him.
12" Rev B PB

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
I asked you to post a joke so complex only a Brit would understand it.

Britain has some great food but the chips all suck.

OT: My s/o loves the show. I thought about starting from the beginning but have been too lazy to do so.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Corintheus
Apr 11, 2005, 07:50 AM

Uh oh. British smart arse remark, followed up with an American smart arse remark. Here's trouble. I hope they don't stereotype each other, and then reference the war of independence. Like it ****ing matters. You both suck. Get used to it.

And Aussies are convicts something something, yeah I know.

It's not a drinking problem if I don't have a problem with it.

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 08:12 AM

This thread is the best proof that certain bord members don't have a slight idea what humor is!!

to Coupling and the english humor!!!

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 08:16 AM

british humour:
british music:
british food:

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 08:19 AM

coupling is an awesome show.
i watched it years ago when i lived in london and then when i moved here i completely forgot about it. i happen to see it on tv a while ago and i can't help but feeling that i've seen this show before and then geoff (sp?) talks about the "sock gap" and it all came back.

what a great show.

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 08:33 AM

Get over yourself.

To get back on topic: American members here have complained that we have a low estimate of American intelligence; however, it seems to be that it is in fact Americans that have a low estimate of American intelligence. Otherwise why would they consider remakes necessary? Top Gear (a driving program) has had to be re-done recently removing references to '4x4s', 'petrol' etc. I'm sure that Americans could understand this stuff, especially in context, but obviously your network bosses think you're all too stupid.

Similarly with the jokes in things like Red Dwarf, The Office and indeed Coupling, all of which have been disastrously remade for America because American studio bosses assumed their fellow Americans were too stupid to 'get it' as such programs refer occasionally to bins instead of trashcans and 4x4s instead of SUVs
( Last edited by willed; Apr 11, 2005 at 08:43 AM. )

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2005, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by dav:
british food:
British food is great after a sixpack of beer - and not to mention the best hangover medicine.

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 10:03 AM

Fishcakes are good though.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Randman:

Britain has some great food but the chips all suck.
mmmmmmm mushy peas - they rock! [as do the fish and chips hidden under]

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 11:03 AM

All but the chips. Never seen a chip worth a damn in the UK. Too soggy, too limp. Something to do with the British psyche, I suppose.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 11:11 AM

All but the chips. Never seen a chip worth a damn in the UK. Too soggy, too limp. Something to do with the British psyche, I suppose.
You, are a nasty man.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Albert Pujols:
Haha, you're right. That show sucked so bad, it was painful to watch. We suck at remaking British comedies.
Suck at remaking everything including English phrases and spelling. How does a nutritious German meal involving meat and bread become a lump of undigestable junk? I was watching a documentary on Iraq where these Marines joke that if Iraqis had a McDonald's on every corner they would have peace. Sorry, but Arab food is great. Why Americans have accepted such low standards will remain an enigma for historians to ponder. Maybe because they think low standards + high flare + bright adverts and marketing = teh winnar!

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by dav:

british food: n:
British food = Indian, Chinese, Italian, German, Greek, Arab, Japanese, pies, mash, etc

American food = Indian, Chinese, Italian, German, Greek, Arab, Japanese, pies, mash, etc with extra additives.

benb
Apr 11, 2005, 12:41 PM

British food = Indian, Chinese, Italian, German, Greek, Arab, Japanese, pies, mash, etc

American food = Indian, Chinese, Italian, German, Greek, Arab, Japanese, pies, mash, etc with extra additives.
Can we get a mod in here to ban this guy? This whole thread is nothing but his flamebait.

Grow up man.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Can we get a mod in here to ban this guy? This whole thread is nothing but his flamebait.

Grow up man.
We need a flame war now and then. How about some old school poking like, American Football? It's bloody rugby with padding! Baseball? It's rounders with the players overdosing on steroids.

benb
Apr 11, 2005, 12:53 PM

We need a flame war now and then. How about some old school poking like, American Football? It's bloody rugby with padding! Baseball? It's rounders with the players overdosing on steroids.
No, we don't. What needs to happen is for people to grow up and realize that just because this is an anonymous medium that does not give you license to act like a jerk. The way people act on the internet is abhorrent. Granted I don't think that you act like this when talking face-to-face, but it sure is a window into who you really are.

I swear, adults on the internet just end up acting like kids. Look at the amount of time the moderators here have to spend reminding adults of what our mother's were supposed to teach us by the time we were twelve. It's pathetic.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:01 PM

No, we don't. What needs to happen is for people to grow up and realize that just because this is an anonymous medium that does not give you license to act like a jerk. The way people act on the internet is abhorrent. Granted I don't think that you act like this when talking face-to-face,
Uh, yes I do and many Americans love it. But I guess I don't hang around with nationalistic types who need a flag on their lawn to look at each morning so they won't forget what it looks like. They only want self-improvement and are willing to listen to jokes and criticism just as Brits are in return. Laugh at yourself. That's where the famed British humour comes from.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 01:08 PM

Ben,

I think you're overreacting. No one else is getting that bent out of shape. A round of good-natured ribbing (taking the piss if you're a Brit) isn't hurting anyone. Remember, in an online forum, you have to be able to take it across the chops once in a while, just as you get the chance to give a little grief back from time to time.

If you really think someone has crossed the line, send them a pm. Most people around here, despite acts here and there to the contrary, aren't total asses.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:11 PM

Ben,

I think you're overreacting. No one else is getting that bent out of shape. A round of good-natured ribbing (taking the piss if you're a Brit) isn't hurting anyone. Remember, in an online forum, you have to be able to take it across the chops once in a while, just as you get the chance to give a little grief back from time to time.

If you really think someone has crossed the line, send them a pm. Most people around here, despite acts here and there to the contrary, aren't total asses.
That's the attitude to have. It's the way the British have been for eons (go back, Shakespeare was making fun of his country). It's the way the Japanese have turned after WWII. The way the Germans have been too. Now the Chinese, they can't take any form of dissent.

Anglophile ---> <--- My victim

benb
Apr 11, 2005, 01:15 PM

Ben,

I think you have me pegged wrong. I'm upset at the part of human nature that seems to think that anonymity is an excuse for behaving like a child. Anonymity brings out the worst in people, including myself as you have just seen. Well screw it. I'm done with this internet forum thing.

And sorry for the slight meander in an otherwise stellar thread.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 01:18 PM

I think you have me pegged wrong. I'm upset at the part of human nature that seems to think that anonymity is an excuse for behaving like a child. Anonymity brings out the worst in people, including myself as you have just seen. Well screw it. I'm done with this internet forum thing.
Just make somes jokes about the Brits and have fun with it.

tae667
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 01:59 PM

Brittish humour is excellent. Today they're broadcasting Fast Show on largest Finnish TV channel for the fifth time, and I'm watching it because it's the funniest show since Monty Python! Arse!

Edit: Coupling comes also today. I don't like this season as much as the previous one, but it's still great.

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 02:36 PM

I don't know how talking about a TV show turned into a pissing contest over who's country has the better food/sports/shows/etc. I was just saying I liked a TV show. Sure there are some references I don't fully get (Steve's obsession with that TV reporter -- I take it she's with BBC) but everything else is spot on funny.

Any other UK shows in the vein of Coupling to recommend? I tried The Office, but it wasn't anywhere near as funny and some of the jokes seemed stupid.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 02:38 PM

Get out the time machine and pick up The Young Ones.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
I tried The Office, but it wasn't anywhere near as funny and some of the jokes seemed stupid.
You really really have to be British to get it fully. I don't think many Americans would get Goodness Gracious Me either.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:44 PM

Another joke, this time from Spike Milligan's The Old Testament According to Spike Milligan.

"And Moses yelled "Charge!" And lo, the Israelites were afraid because they didn't like to be charged for anything."

Forum Links
Forum Rules