Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Deleting Administrator Account in OSx Tiger

Deleting Administrator Account in OSx Tiger
electricblue73
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 04:52 PM

I just got a powermac G5 with Osx Tiger, previously owned, and it still has the previous owners account (administrator account).

I tried to delete this account in the sys prefs>accounts menu, but there is no option to delete the admin. account.....only the user accounts.

I am trying to delete this, and have the powermac boot up without having to log in a password. Basically how do I delete this and have the powermac running as if it was new out of the box...in terms of booting up without any password prompts etc.....

I am selling this powermac G5 so i want the Osx Tiger to be able to run as if it was new ...for the new owner.......so the owner can create his/her own account when they use it for the first time.

I have the install discs on order from Apple store, so i dont have them in my hands yet.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Apr 19, 2006, 07:43 PM

There has to be at least one administrator account, maybe that's why it won't let you delete it. An administrator account doesn't have to be called "administrator." You can make any of the accounts the administrator account, but there has to be at least one.

Offhand, the best way I can think of to go about all this is to create a new default user account, make it the administrator, take away the administrator rights of the old administrator account, then delete the unneeded accounts.

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2006, 12:38 AM

If you don't have the password for the ONLY existing admin account then you will need to boot off the OS X install CD and reset the password to something that you know. You can't create a new admin account without the current admin password!

If you are going to sell it why don't you just format the drive and reinstall from scratch?
--Laurence

Detrius
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 02:14 AM

This sounds stolen to me. You "bought" it, but they didn't wipe it clean, and they didn't supply any of the installer software. But now, you are trying to restore it to factory condition so you can sell the thing, so that no one will know that you weren't the owner. You created a brand new account on a forum to try to get help with making it look legit. Obviously, if you actually had the install discs on order from the Apple Store, you wouldn't need help with this, as you could just wipe the thing and reinstall the OS.

And we have your IP.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules