Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > R.I.P CompUSA

R.I.P CompUSA
TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 12:28 AM

Sad to see how they lost their way in the last decade, but they did help to make the computer business what it is today. In 1997, they were one of the few to believe in Apple, and helped Jobs to return the Mac to glory.

Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 12:50 AM

Why? Are they suddenly gone? AFAIK, the "near"est location to me is still open.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2007, 12:56 AM

They closed most of the locations they had. It is sad to see them go but some of the advertising they have done in the past wasn't the best. They then had problems sending people rebates. I know several people that took computers to compusa to get repaired and ended up worse off afterwords. I did enjoy shopping there until I went to Fry's in Las Vegas. The other computer/electronics places aren't doing that great either. The internet hasn't been kind to the box retailers since they have a hard time competing with the likes of Amazon, Fry's and others.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2007, 12:58 AM

yea, i know it's a rather depressing retail destination but they're still there for now, right? announcement, link?
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2007, 12:59 AM

oh yea, I remember reading about them closing some locations. Any around me are all still open though, 3 or 4 I can think of.
ice

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 01:08 AM

Free Preview - WSJ.com

Slim to Close Last CompUSA Stores
By GARY MCWILLIAMS
December 7, 2007 11:54 p.m.

Mexican telephone and retail magnate Carlos Slim, in a rare defeat, will exit the U.S. consumer electronics market, shutting the last 100 CompUSA Inc. stores after sinking about $2 billion into the business.

Gordon Brothers Group, a Boston-based retail store liquidator, will oversee a piecemeal sale of the Dallas-based business, the company said in a statement. Financial terms were not disclosed. Stores will remain open through year-end under the supervision of Gordon Brothers, which will also negotiate the sale of real estate and other assets. Two law firms were hired to represent creditors, CompUSA said.

"An orderly and expedited wind-down and asset sale process is the best option for CompUSA and its creditors," Bill Weinstein, a principal at Gordon Brothers, said in a statement. Mr. Weinstein was named interim president of the firm. He was unavailable for immediate comment.

CompUSA did an estimated $4 billion in annual sales last year, but with store closures in February, sales were expected to shrink to about $1.5 billion this year, according to industry executives. The business has not been recently profitable, they said.

Mr. Slim, the powerful chairman of Telefonos de Mexico and operator of a string of retail businesses in Latin America, has long coveted a big name in the U.S. retail market. He took his first stake in the business in 1999 and expanded the business through acquisition. After taking a minority stake in the retailer, he later spent $800 million to take the company private.

In 2003, CompUSA acquired California consumer electronics chain The Good Guys Inc. In 1998, he purchased Computer City from Tandy Corp.

The retailer has struggled for years, hurt first by competition from direct personal computer sellers such as Dell Inc. and more recently by intense competition in consumer electronics. Bigger rivals such Best Buy Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. have been able to offer greater selection and lower prices for flat-panel televisions and other consumer electronics gear.

As reported, CompUSA had been in discussions with rivals about selling parts of its retail holdings, and a spokesman for the new management says the talks are ongoing.

"Active discussions are under way to sell select stores in key markets as well as the company's highly-regarded technical services business," CompUSA said in its statement.

People familiar with the situation have said that CompUSA has been talking to TigerDirect, an arm of Systemax Inc., a Port Washington, N.Y., PC maker and electronics marketer, buying stores and CompUSA.com Internet operation. In addition, it has held talks with Hilliard, Ohio, based Micro Electronics Inc. about the sale of about 10 stores.

In early 2003, Mr. Slim made an unsolicited $1.5 billion bid for Circuit City after accumulating about a 9.2% stake in the company. He later sold the shares after being rebuffed by the Circuit City board. Since then, he has pursued investments in retail outside the U.S., recently opening the first Saks department store in Mexico City under a license with Saks Inc.

In February, it announced plans to shutter 126 stores, more than half of its then-total, and accepted a cash infusion from U.S. Commercial Corp., a unit of Mr. Slim's holding company, Grupo Carso. The money was intended to finance a turnaround effort that targeted small businesses and affluent consumers.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2007, 01:14 AM

As of a month ago they listed locations that closed 6 months ago on the site as open.

List of closed stores. That list is missing a lot of stores that closed back when the closings first started. CompUSA.com - Closing Stores

CompUSA Announces Realignment Strategy

DALLAS, Feb. 27, 2007 - As part of its plan to realign the organization, CompUSA today announced a comprehensive strategy to improve the company's financial status. The realignment includes a cash infusion, store closures, major expense reductions and a corporate restructuring.

As part of CompUSA's realignment strategy, the company will receive a $440 million cash capital infusion. The financial boost will be designated to improve the company's balance sheet.

"Based on changing conditions in the consumer retail electronics market, the company identified the need to close and sell stores with low performance or non strategic, old store layouts and locations faced with market saturation. The process began last week with the closing of four CompUSA stores and over the next 60-90 days, the company will close a total of 126 stores in the United States to focus on initiatives that enhance its top performing locations," said Roman Ross, chief executive officer, CompUSA.

CompUSA will continue to offer products and services at 1-800-CompUSA and online at compusa.com, providing more than 80,000 items for consumers and small and medium businesses, along with top-notch technical service from CompUSA TechPro.

Today's announcement allows the company to focus its efforts and ensure a strong presence in its 103 stores in 39 states and Puerto Rico.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2007, 01:21 AM

That last update doesn't even appear on the compusa site.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2007, 01:42 AM

I'm sad to see them go. They had a better selection to computer equipment than Pest Buy and Circuit Shitty.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2007, 02:47 AM

Internet > Fry's > everybody else
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm sad to see them go. They had a better selection to computer equipment than Pest Buy and Circuit Shitty.

-t
You're a fan of CompUSGay?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 03:26 AM

CompUSA was getting worse and worse. I still remembered that I bought Mac OS 8 from the local CompUSA store. During the closeout period, I went in and picked up a copy of MacAddict. However, the cash register didn't honor any discount marked, but over the suggested retail price printed on the magazine itself. I argued with the cashier and he said there was nothing wrong about it. I left right away.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2007, 03:29 AM

Newegg is the best there is!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 04:14 AM

I don't think I've ever been in a CompUSA. I feel better knowing that.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Newegg is the best there is!
I gotta agree here, Newegg is the shizzle. B&M stores suck.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I gotta agree here, Newegg is the shizzle. B&M stores suck.
That's only 'cuz there's hardly any good stores around anymore, with dedicated employees who know their **** and DON'T get commission (or don't care).

I'll gladly pay a couple of € more for a decent sales experience without having to waste time on becoming an expert on everything myself.

Or rather: I would, if I still could. Sadly, the world is becoming a giant mega-mart of money-grubbing imbeciles intent on selling me **** they KNOW I don't need.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 07:05 AM

Seconds after ChumpUSA closed, the location was reopened as a MicroCenter. Somebody will be there to fill the void.

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 08:58 AM

Back in the early 90s, they were the best place to get Apple products. I used to stop in all of the time when i was in college to see the latest stuff.

It wasn't until the maturing of the internet that they went downhill. Shopping there was pleasant once. I remember they were close to buying Best Buy in the late 90s. But when the computer business changed, they didn't see it coming, and were crushed by mismanagement. It's a shame, because they were the one place outside of the Apple Stores where you might actually find a decent selection.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 09:32 AM

I remember when they opened up in a nearby town and then see them over the years go down hill. I wouldn't quite say it was all of their fault.

The computer market evolved in such away they were unable to compete. Places like bestbuy and circuit city was able to sell computers and software and near the same price, plus all sorts of other electronics. It appeared that compusa tried to compete with them by starting to sell TVs, DVDs etc but that never really caught on. PCs basically became a commodity, and a store specialized them just couldn't handle that shift.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 09:48 AM

I'll be a little sad to see them go. They're the closest retailer to me that has a broad selection of Apple products. Best Buy has some, but their Apple section is much smaller. Oh well.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 10:14 AM

I get a ton of stuff at CompUSA. I am good friends with the Mac lady and she gives me a ton of free stuff. I got an old shuffle for free, I got JBL Creature IIs for $20, I've gotten a case for my PB for free. It's the best.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 8, 2007, 10:24 AM

I will NOT miss CompUSA at all. My experiences have always been miserable. The two I have been in were the same. The store in Novi, MI and Lansing, MI both had last generation Apple products at current generation prices.

I am glad I live within 30 minutes of both a Fry's and an Apple store now.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I will NOT miss CompUSA at all. My experiences have always been miserable. The two I have been in were the same. The store in Novi, MI and Lansing, MI both had last generation Apple products at current generation prices.
Yup. Usually they would have the old models at the old prices for about a month before an update. I wonder if they will have any price reduction on Apple products?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 11:07 AM

CompUSA does have a big selection, and has some stuff that you can't find locally in places like Circuit City. But I normally only bought stuff there when I had no choice, especially since their restocking fees are a joke, and if you know you won't be returning something, you're better off buying it in the Internet anyway. I won't miss it when it's gone, but I'll pay attention to their clearance sale!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 11:17 AM

when the one in california near me closed, they had something around a 10% off for all apple software/ accessories.

Chooglin'
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 11:23 AM

Nobody is going to miss a store that employs high schoolers who know nothing about what they are selling to avoid paying a fair wage and benefits. They might as well employ trained monkeys in diapers who retrieve the stuff you point to and then ring it up for you. You can be sure the former executives at CompUSA had actually explored this idea before ruling it out because they couldn't get a good deal to purchase the monkeys.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 11:44 AM

I am glad I live within 30 minutes of both a Fry's and an Apple store now.
I'd be interested in knowing when that was, as CompUSA updated their Apple lineup as soon as Apple shipped them current generation product. Apple has also had their own employees in both of those stores for the last five years, full time.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chooglin' View Post
Nobody is going to miss a store that employs high schoolers who know nothing about what they are selling to avoid paying a fair wage and benefits. They might as well employ trained monkeys in diapers who retrieve the stuff you point to and then ring it up for you. You can be sure the former executives at CompUSA had actually explored this idea before ruling it out because they couldn't get a good deal to purchase the monkeys.
This makes them different from Best Buy / Circuit City how?

When a company makes $20 selling a $500 computer, there isn't much money left for overhead. The Internet retailers took all of the money out of selling computer products at retail. BB and CC are only in it because it brings traffic and sells their high-margin TVs, CDs and DVDs.

Back in the Day, CompUSA used to pay a decent wage, and actually had good, smart employees. Now, you're better off shopping online for any electronics you might buy.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 12:21 PM

Another vote for Newegg.

I have nothing against CompUSA, I just never found it convenient to go to with Staples & BB so near.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Another vote for Newegg.

I have nothing against CompUSA, I just never found it convenient to go to with Staples & BB so near.
And that's been their problem.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 01:43 PM

I will remember with nostalgia that this is were I received my free beta for OSX. These were the days...

Railroader
Banned
Dec 8, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
I'd be interested in knowing when that was, as CompUSA updated their Apple lineup as soon as Apple shipped them current generation product.
From about 1995 to now. Not at the locations I listed. Selections sucked.

Apple has also had their own employees in both of those stores for the last five years, full time.
If they were there, I never saw them. And if I did happen to talk to them, then Apple had some terrible hiring.

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2007, 02:00 PM

ARRRGHHH!!. Now all we have here in Lexington Ky is Best Buy. Oh God, that sucks. They have a small, pitiful Mac section with nobody willing to help. They seem. as always, hostile to the Mac user. I couldn't find any Mac software or parts. I couldn't find a sales person to point me in the right direction. They had one cash register opened with about ten people in line.

We need an Apple store here. We are a city of a quarter million, better off financially than the rest of the state. We would have been the biggest city in the state, but the biggest city merged with the county to keep us from passing them.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 02:23 PM

The last time I went to a CompUSA store was in 2003, in Columbus, Ohio, near Easton Mall. I wanted to buy a new digital camera.

I walked over to the digital camera display, browsed there for 20 minutes, and once I found the one I liked, stood there for another 20 minutes. Not one salesperson approached me the entire time. Ever. I even looked around to see if I could flag a salesperson down. No luck there, either. The store was not very busy.

I walked over to Customer Service, waited 5 minutes, and asked the lady to speak with the store manager. The manager came out, and I politely said, "I'd like to buy a digital camera from your store, but I can't seem to find a salesperson to help me. I've been standing at the digital camera display for 40 minutes. Could you please help me?"

A competent manager would have 1) called a salesperson over the PA system to come and help, or 2) gone back to the counter with me and opened the case and gotten me my camera.

He said, "I'm sorry, that means the salespeople are all busy with other customers." I said, "Well, I don't have a lot of time left, do you think you could come and open the sales cabinet. I know which camera I want." He told me, "Sorry, that's not part of my job description."

WHAT???

I looked at him and said, "Apparently customer service isn't part of your job description either. You just lost a $400 sale that Best Buy is now going to get." I walked out of the store, drove to Best Buy, walked to their camera counter, and within 30 seconds a salesperson approached me. 2 minutes later, the camera I wanted was in a bag on the seat next to me as I drove home.

Good riddance CompUSA, I say.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 02:25 PM

From about 1995 to now. Not at the locations I listed. Selections sucked.

If they were there, I never saw them. And if I did happen to talk to them, then Apple had some terrible hiring.
Obviously, you weren't there more than once. I am intimately familiar with Apple's, and CompUSA's, practices at both of those stores, and the only time current product wasn't on display was when Apple didn't ship it to them immediately after announcing new product, which happened occasionally. That wasn't CompUSA's fault. During my tenure at the Novi store, as a CompUSA Mac Specialist, in 1997 - 1998, that store was one of the top ten in the chain in Mac sales. When I went to work for Apple, as an Apple Solutions Consultant, working full time out of CompUSA in another Michigan store, I had the great pleasure of knowing the ASCs who worked at Novi and Lansing, and they were anything but terrible hires, as they also increased the Mac sales at their stores tremendously, and knew their Mac products. We had to do weekly seminars, and go to user group meetings and do presentations, and we did in fact increase sales very considerably. I also know several of the managers at some of the CompUSA stores, and Mac sales were largely responsible for keeping those stores open as long they were. I'm not going to defend CompUSA's business practices, but people who say that their Mac sections (especially the ones with Apple ASCs in them) didn't do anything for Apple are full of it. From the time that the ASC program was initiated, in late 2001, until the closures, Apple sales at CompUSA increased exponentially, growing more than seven-fold in under four years, to some numbers that would shock you. You may have had a bad experience or two, but it was hardly representative of what really happened there

finboy
Dec 8, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
CompUSA does have a big selection, and has some stuff that you can't find locally in places like Circuit City. But I normally only bought stuff there when I had no choice, especially since their restocking fees are a joke, and if you know you won't be returning something, you're better off buying it in the Internet anyway. I won't miss it when it's gone, but I'll pay attention to their clearance sale!
The ones in Charlotte were always great -- one had a full-time Mac staff (for the store within a store) and the other didn't, but still had plenty of knowledgeable folks and lots of stock. Sad to see them go.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 8, 2007, 10:40 PM

Obviously, you weren't there more than once. I am intimately familiar with Apple's, and CompUSA's, practices at both of those stores, and the only time current product wasn't on display was when Apple didn't ship it to them immediately after announcing new product, which happened occasionally. That wasn't CompUSA's fault. During my tenure at the Novi store, as a CompUSA Mac Specialist, in 1997 - 1998, that store was one of the top ten in the chain in Mac sales. When I went to work for Apple, as an Apple Solutions Consultant, working full time out of CompUSA in another Michigan store, I had the great pleasure of knowing the ASCs who worked at Novi and Lansing, and they were anything but terrible hires, as they also increased the Mac sales at their stores tremendously, and knew their Mac products. We had to do weekly seminars, and go to user group meetings and do presentations, and we did in fact increase sales very considerably. I also know several of the managers at some of the CompUSA stores, and Mac sales were largely responsible for keeping those stores open as long they were. I'm not going to defend CompUSA's business practices, but people who say that their Mac sections (especially the ones with Apple ASCs in them) didn't do anything for Apple are full of it. From the time that the ASC program was initiated, in late 2001, until the closures, Apple sales at CompUSA increased exponentially, growing more than seven-fold in under four years, to some numbers that would shock you. You may have had a bad experience or two, but it was hardly representative of what really happened there
As much as you want to pat yourself on the back... CompUSA at Lansing and Novi sucked horribly!

I lived 20 miles away from the Lansing store, visited there about once a week or so. I had a friend who owned two sign shops who lived in Novi, and we had to go to the store there once a week or so as well. You may think they did a good job, and that being in the top ten for CompUSA was a good thing, but to set such low standards is pathetic. They stocked old merchandise at current product prices. You worked at the best of the worst. Medal for you.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2007, 01:23 AM

Okay, you win. The numbers and Mac customer satisfaction prove otherwise, but you're right.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 01:31 AM

I remember going to a CompUSA in the beginning of the summer since it was across the street from the office I was interviewing at and I was really early. I ended up buying a tv tuner, but they did have some heavily discounted mac stuff so maybe I will see if there are any more in my area.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 04:51 PM

I went to work for Apple, as an Apple Solutions Consultant, working full time out of CompUSA in another Michigan store
Was the ASC program still going on? If so, what is happening to those employees? Is Apple going to take care of them or are they losing their jobs?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 04:59 PM

The CompUSA 3 minutes from here is still abandon. Hoping a Fry's moves into the Seattle area. The 40 minute drive to Renton is not exactly fun.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Was the ASC program still going on? If so, what is happening to those employees? Is Apple going to take care of them or are they losing their jobs?
The ASC program is still in existence. The ones that I still know have been put into Best Buy stores, to increase their Mac sales, just as they did, well beyond Apple's hopes, at CompUSA. Before the Comp closures, the ASC people were considered the gold standard in sales at Apple, as they increased sales at Comp almost seven fold in under four years, making Comp the largest partner that Apple had, by far.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2007, 10:43 PM

Let me know when things are 75% off.

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2007, 03:32 PM

From what I heard from an Apple Rep, other computer retailers will be moving into CompUSA retail space. That's not going to be true everywhere, just in some cases. Look for people like Fry's and Tiger Direct to take this opportunity.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 03:35 PM

I would LOVE a Fry's to go where my old CompUSA was.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Why? Are they suddenly gone? AFAIK, the "near"est location to me is still open.
They will close in late January from what I heard. Look for good deals on everything but low margin items like computers.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 05:36 PM

Good deals are subjective. I've noticed in the past when a chain goes under, two things can happen.
First you get great deals (rare occurrence).
Second option is there's only crap that's been discounted and usually is the case now a days. The failing company liquidates everything to another company who is then in charge of selling the stuff. What usually happens there, is the good stuff is sold en-mass to some third party and the junk that is left is supposedly reduced in price.

I've seen this happen all to often when the regional stores were crushed by the mega-chains moving into the northeast back in the 80s and 90s.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 05:46 PM

I remember when my local kmart when out of business I bought a few games that were 75% off. Later that year I exchanged them at EB for more than I had bought them for. Fun times.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I would LOVE a Fry's to go where my old CompUSA was.
So would I, but Fry's are generally very large. CompUSA's generally are not.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Or rather: I would, if I still could. Sadly, the world is becoming a giant mega-mart of money-grubbing imbeciles intent on selling me **** they KNOW I don't need.
Yup, it's that bottom line. I when I was working for Office Max (My first graphics) the people who sold the computers were pushed NOT to sell the computer, but little things like cords, printer paper, mouse pads and the like. The stuff the company really had marked up and made a profit off of. Companies REALL pushed that crap. I wont even get into printer cartridges..

Forum Links
Forum Rules