Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > buffing out scratches in cover?

buffing out scratches in cover?
vixi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 03:14 PM

My ibook took a small tumble off my bed, and landed on my fiance's PC. Ha ha.. I have some very small surface scratches on the top cover. I wish macskinz would hurry up and release their new covers.. but until then these will bug me. I remember people mentioning that they have though about buffing out these scratches with automotive polish? Did that work?

I've had my ibook for a month, and otherwise it is in pristine condition. I know these are just cosmetic scratches.. but they still bug me!

- vixi

Klay2122
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 02:40 AM

yeah you kind of beat me to the punch on this thread...My iBook has been taking a beating since I went TDY in this sand filled country. It has so many scraches, but you only see them when you get closer to it. The screen is still scratch free which is a plus. I just hope there is a way to rub them out when I get home. If not it will not bother me too much, aslong as it runs beautifully like it always has that will be good enough for me. Oh and the iskinz idea is pretty good too never thought of that. Sorry this does not help you. I just felt like adding my story too....
Diztantendz coming soon...

Daniel_R
Aug 30, 2004, 10:56 PM

I dont know about the newer solid white iBooks, but for the older clear with white paint under (the original G3 white iBooks), Brasso works a treat. A bargain at about $5.

Works on iPods (not iPod mini) too. See this MacNN thread

edit: I've never tried this for the later iBooks such as the G4 iBooks. Try it removing scratches from the battery/on the bottom case first to see if it works.
-- iBook Dual USB 600MHz/384MB/20G/DVD-CDRW
-- PowerBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1GB/80GB/DVD-R
-- PowerMac 9600/300 300MHz/96MB/2+3+4GB/CD/ OS X 10.1.5, 9.2.1
-- iPod 15GB, 3rd Generation

Forum Links
Forum Rules