Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kernel Panic in Mail - is it Norton Utilities?

Kernel Panic in Mail - is it Norton Utilities?
Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2002, 11:35 AM

Just yesterday, I ran into a Kernel Panic (multiple times) on the Mail app in OS X. It seems if I go into Mail right after I boot up it causes a Kernel Panic... and it seems the Kernel Panic is reproducable. Now I was able to get into mail... I haven't figured out how I did it... it seems if I go into mail after going into system preferences (or possibly another app) or after a certain amount of time, it works. So it doesn't seem like mail is causing the problem. I haven't had Kernel Panics before, except maybe 1 every couple of months, certainly not reproducable ones.

I'm wondering if it's Norton Utilities (I installed Norton Systemworks 2.0 which includes Dantz Retrospect, NAV, NUM). Is Norton doing something on startup? I notice Norton is apparently watching for MacOS X updates... I updated to MacOS X 10.1.4 from 10.1.3 and Norton popped up a stupid reminder on startup that I might need to upgrade Norton. That's why I'm thinking it's Norton. I can't see it being a HD problem if I can start up any other app, like IE or Photoshop.

I see someone else had a similar problem: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=005010

Liquidity, are you still around? Did you fix your problem? Looks like you had Norton installed too... not sure if it was there current version, though.

I definitely need to improve my knowledge of MacOS X... I'm still a little lost after 8 months. I knew where everything was in MacOS 9... the startup extensions, the extensions, the preference fies. Don't know where any of that stuff is now.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

K++
Senior User
Apr 26, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
<STRONG>Just yesterday, I ran into a Kernel Panic (multiple times) on the Mail app in OS X. It seems if I go into Mail right after I boot up it causes a Kernel Panic... and it seems the Kernel Panic is reproducable. Now I was able to get into mail... I haven't figured out how I did it... it seems if I go into mail after going into system preferences (or possibly another app) or after a certain amount of time, it works. So it doesn't seem like mail is causing the problem. I haven't had Kernel Panics before, except maybe 1 every couple of months, certainly not reproducable ones.

I'm wondering if it's Norton Utilities (I installed Norton Systemworks 2.0 which includes Dantz Retrospect, NAV, NUM). Is Norton doing something on startup? I notice Norton is apparently watching for MacOS X updates... I updated to MacOS X 10.1.4 from 10.1.3 and Norton popped up a stupid reminder on startup that I might need to upgrade Norton. That's why I'm thinking it's Norton. I can't see it being a HD problem if I can start up any other app, like IE or Photoshop.

I see someone else had a similar problem: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=005010

Liquidity, are you still around? Did you fix your problem? Looks like you had Norton installed too... not sure if it was there current version, though.

I definitely need to improve my knowledge of MacOS X... I'm still a little lost after 8 months. I knew where everything was in MacOS 9... the startup extensions, the extensions, the preference fies. Don't know where any of that stuff is now.</STRONG>
You guys never learn. Norton is the devil, it will only screw up your computer. It never does anything good for you. Norton is a terrible terrible utility, however as a disk destroyer it is head and shoulders above about the competition.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 03:01 PM

yah it is Norton Antivisrus Auto Protect, just uninstall or disable NAV auto protect. and i have also found that NUs auto protect will stop the machine from rebooting/shuting down. hope this helps.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by K++:
<STRONG>

You guys never learn. Norton is the devil, it will only screw up your computer. It never does anything good for you. Norton is a terrible terrible utility, however as a disk destroyer it is head and shoulders above about the competition.</STRONG>
Yes, I know what you mean, although I've never had problems with it in MacOS 9. Of course I usually avoid installing some of the background apps (disklight, crashguard, and a few others were junk in MacOS 9) as they cause a lot of problems (just like the one I'm having). Of course it seems you don't have the choice to not install certain parts in the MacOS X version.

I'll try Liquidity X's suggestion...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules