Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook Memory

ibook Memory
techzone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2004, 08:58 PM

Hi, I just got my ibook. I installed a 512mb sodimm ram. But When I checked that in OX X it doesn't show 512mb. It says 256mb built in memory. I realy don't know my 512mb memory is working or not. Please help me. Thanks

CKr
Dec 30, 2004, 09:09 AM

Open it back up and make sure it's seated correctly. I'll bet the module isn't pushed in the whole way. There are notches on the sides of the chip where two metal bracket type things will rest. I know on my first attempt it wasn't pushed into the slot the whole way and those things were not in the correct place. Pull it back out and on the next attempt make sure you slide it into the slot at a 45 degree angle and then push it down flat. You'll know it's pushed in the whole way when the notch in the slot wont let it move any further.

brickcam
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2004, 07:04 PM

It's actually a 30� angle I think, but I agree with your diagnosis. It's probably not seated.
Cameron

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2004, 05:03 PM

It is not seated. You have to push on it harder than you think. Don't put all your weight into it but don't be scared of it. When it is seated all they way you shouldn't be able to really see any of the connectors on the ram module.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

ksujjs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 01:01 PM

I had the same problem. Just got it fixed. Thanks! The upper left keyboard lock is a little fidgety, but that's the only complaint i have about my ibook.

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 05:17 PM

My situation is a bit stragner.

i bought the 1g memory chip a while ago and it only reads half of it when i sticked it in my iBook, i've tried plugged and unplugged the chip a few times but the result came out the same.

so it gives me 768mb ram in total, the 256 built-in + 512 from the 1g chip

i wont be able to return the chip since im currently away from the country. but i do want to know if the problem comes from the chip or the way i installed it

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by d0GGii:
My situation is a bit stragner....
That all depends on which model of iBook you have. Some of the recent ones seem to like a particular type of RAM better than others. Yes, that's a general statement, but it's valid whatever model you have.

Memory timing on the faster iBooks is pretty critical. While some will work with just about any part, others are very picky. It comes down to two questions: does your particular model ACTUALLY support 1GB SODIMMS, and where did you get it from?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 04:51 AM

i got the 1g chip from one of the thread on the PowerBook forum on this site =/

and the iBook was purchased 3 weeks ago

i will try having the chip installed on the other machines later to see if they problem comes down to the chip or the ibook i got

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2005, 12:42 PM

I hate to have to remind you of this, but iBooks are not PowerBooks. They are very different internally, and it seems that PowerBooks are less finicky about RAM than iBooks.

On the up side, I don't think that there's anything wrong with the SODIMM. I think your iBook just doesn't like that particular chip.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules