Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I have to leave MacNN.

I have to leave MacNN.
jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 01:47 PM

It's been a great few months, but unfortunately this is my last post.

I just got back from my interview, and have now been hired to work at the Apple Store. I had an interview with the store manager who explained to me that posting on Mac forums will result in termination. He also explained why Apple hates rumor sites - because they make it hard to sell products right before a refresh. What ends up happening is people hear about updated PBs and such coming, so it makes it extremely hard to sell anything before a refresh. Then, the refresh comes, and they have to get rid of all the old stock.

Apple has a policy that none if its employees can post information related to the company, so I'll just have to read from now on.

I just might be able to find a few ways around this though...

Laters!!!@2LOLZ11

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 01:50 PM

Because of those pictures I thought you were leaving because you were going to die in 7 days :/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Warung
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
What? - Like not using your real name when posting? *duh*

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 01:53 PM

Or not mentioning that you're working for Apple maybe?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 01:57 PM

What a crock. I just called a friend who is an Apple Store manager to ask about this "policy" and she said Apple does not tell people what to do in their "off-time" and said that you must be "confused." She also said that telling people what to do in their private time sounds against the law.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 02:02 PM

I think you're not allowed to post confidential information. Like when new Macs are coming into the stores. Anything that you could have learned outside of your job is fair game.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
What a crock. I just called a friend who is an Apple Store manager to ask about this "policy" and she said Apple does not tell people what to do in their "off-time" and said that you must be "confused." She also said that telling people what to do in their private time sounds against the law.
To a certain amount, yes. Obviously, if you're a lawyer, you're not allowed to betray your clients' secrets in your free time any more than you are in your work time.

Jamil—they can probably legally forbid you from posting about Apple products, but I don't think they can forbid you from posting on Mac forums altogether. As long as you don't post in any Apple-related threads (or at least don't post Apple-related posts), you should be fine.

Oh, and what's with the blurry pics

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 02:04 PM

How much could they possibly pay you an hour to control your personal life?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2005, 02:08 PM

It's weird. Some employees have told me they've been told not to post, while others have told me that they most certainly may.

It seems this confusion is widespread.

tooki

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 02:13 PM

/applicable?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2005, 02:16 PM

Could you take a few people with you?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 5, 2005, 02:33 PM

there are dozens of apple store employees that still post on here, btw.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 02:41 PM

Apple does certainly prohibit employees from posting on any mac related forums. It's crazy, but they do it. It's a fairly common occurrence for people to get canned over it too.

ImpulseResponse

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 02:43 PM

I know two people who work at Apple stores and they both were told not to post in Mac related forums. As far as I know, they both still post in such forums, they just stay away from the mac related topics.
... She also said that telling people what to do in their private time sounds against the law.
Tell that to the Google employees who were fired for blogging about "life at Google." Not exactly causing any harm, but that's not how Google saw it.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
Tell that to the Google employees who were fired for blogging about "life at Google." Not exactly causing any harm, but that's not how Google saw it.
That is more understandable as they are talking about the internal workings at the company they are at.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 02:47 PM

And what about that airline stewardess who got the axe because of her blogging, and a few pics she took. Plenty of people have gotten fired for doing similiar things.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 02:50 PM

While true, there's that whole issue about the company that fires people for smoking

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 02:52 PM

Look, it's as simple as this:

NEVER POST THAT YOU WORK AT AN APPLE STORE.
CHANGE YOUR NICK.
NEVER POST ANYTHING THAT'S NOT ALREADY KNOWN.
EDIT: AND NEVER, EVER POST FROM THE STORE.

There, you're safe.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
It's been a great few months, but unfortunately this is my last post.

I just got back from my interview, and have now been hired to work at the Apple Store. I had an interview with the store manager who explained to me that posting on Mac forums will result in termination. He also explained why Apple hates rumor sites - because they make it hard to sell products right before a refresh. What ends up happening is people hear about updated PBs and such coming, so it makes it extremely hard to sell anything before a refresh. Then, the refresh comes, and they have to get rid of all the old stock.

Apple has a policy that none if its employees can post information related to the company, so I'll just have to read from now on.

Laters!!!@2LOLZ11

That would be illegal here and thats just freaking stupid. Just dont post about any privliaged information you get and dont post from work.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 02:59 PM

gorickey was a high ranking official at Apple...he had to stop posting supposedly due to "retirement"...now the truth comes out!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 03:00 PM

okie... *waving goodbye*

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by starman
While true, there's that whole issue about the company that fires people for smoking

Man the US could use a few more laws on employee rights. It’s ridiculously hard to fire some one here who is aware of the laws and rights, even if they deserve it.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 03:01 PM

Is this the new MacNN member post pics page?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Is this the new MacNN member post pics page?
only if you're leaving macnn...then you have to post a picture of yoursekf with your shirt off

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2005, 04:13 PM

Ummm, just don't tell us anything and you should be fine...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 04:15 PM

Please don't ever leave, Kevin.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
Man the US could use a few more laws on employee rights. It’s ridiculously hard to fire some one here who is aware of the laws and rights, even if they deserve it.
This isn't a US thing Athens... it's a "trade secret" thing. And last I knew, publishing trade secrets in Canada is just as illegal as in the US.

It's not hard to understand. If you posted an ad in the local paper with a trade secret, would you be amazed if you lost your job? What is the difference between posting said trade secret on the web?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:26 PM

Why do people insist on posting "goodbye" threads? Are they looking for some kind of self-gratification? Just leave.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 04:32 PM

I would like to introduce you to a concept known as "interpersonal relations," Alpha Subzero. Some people have these things called "friends." When one is parting ways with one of these "friends" (or something else called an "acquaintance," which is slightly different, but I don't want to confuse you with the details), it is considered polite to say goodbye.
Chuck
___

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I would like to introduce you to a concept known as "interpersonal relations," Alpha Subzero. Some people have these things called "friends." When one is parting ways with one of these "friends" (or something else called an "acquaintance," which is slightly different, but I don't want to confuse you with the details), it is considered polite to say goodbye.
There's a big difference between "friends" in real life and a bunch of anonymous posters on a message board. But thanks for trying to acquaint me with your introductory material.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2005, 04:44 PM

Still, being rude to someone for saying goodbye is just unnecessary assholery.
Chuck
___

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
There's a big difference between "friends" in real life and a bunch of anonymous posters on a message board. But thanks for trying to acquaint me with your introductory material.
Not all the time. There are people who have been visiting my sites (since back in the day of maurym.com) for almost a decade. I exchange email with these people more often than I see some of the people I grew up with -- my "real life" friends.

Point being, just because it's TEH INTERWEB, that doesn't mean that legitimate, good relationships cannot be cultivated.

Apparently you don't know this because you suck at the internet.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Apparently you don't know this because you suck at the internet.
Thanks for that wonderful insight.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 5, 2005, 04:52 PM

Bye Bye.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
I think you're not allowed to post confidential information. Like when new Macs are coming into the stores. Anything that you could have learned outside of your job is fair game.
Apple store employees don't have any better idea about when new Macs are coming into the stores than non-store people do. Even managers don't have access to that kind of info.

To jamil5454,
They certainly can't stop you from posting on forums, but they can penalize you if you post confidential information and even then only if you're under a confidentiality agreement. But, I don't think there's much information you would have access to at an Apple Store that would be sensitive enough to get you fired.

My employer requires that I not post anything about the company, but I can use and post on industry related sites.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2005, 04:53 PM

Thanks for that wonderful insight.
I think there was a certain amount of sarcasm in it...

Anyway—one good reason to make a goodbye thread is to make sure people don't worry. I've had someone just suddenly go completely off-line one day (for personal reasons). Those of us who had developed a certain friendship with this person, both on forums and via chatting, were actually worried about whether something might have happened to her, in much the same way as you would be if one of your classmates one day just didn't come to school anymore.

Letting people know that you're fine, and that you're just leaving for X reason is plain courtesy, plus you'd expect that there is someone who'd like to know why you suddenly just disappear.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Still, being rude to someone for saying goodbye is just unnecessary assholery.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín

Anyway—one good reason to make a goodbye thread is to make sure people don't worry. I've had someone just suddenly go completely off-line one day (for personal reasons). Those of us who had developed a certain friendship with this person, both on forums and via chatting, were actually worried about whether something might have happened to her, in much the same way as you would be if one of your classmates one day just didn't come to school anymore.

Letting people know that you're fine, and that you're just leaving for X reason is plain courtesy, plus you'd expect that there is someone who'd like to know why you suddenly just disappear.
Man, I've thought about crap like that before. If I kill over, how will my online friends know? Should I "train" my wife on how to post a blurb on my site or mass email everyone in my address book? Should I whip-up a "Launch if I die" program that'll do it all for her?

Hm. Maybe I need to look into Automator again...

Maury

budster101
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 04:57 PM

What store?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Apple store employees don't have any better idea about when new Macs are coming into the stores than non-store people do. Even managers don't have access to that kind of info.
I assumed this much, but they obviously get a heads-up when some products are delivered to the store that week. Big announcements that occur weeks before they ship, of course, will remain secret to store employees.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Man, I've thought about crap like that before. If I kill over, how will my online friends know? Should I "train" my wife on how to post a blurb on my site or mass email everyone in my address book? Should I whip-up a "Launch if I die" program that'll do it all for her?

Hm. Maybe I need to look into Automator again...

Maury
Make sure she knows to post that you died in the Lounge, not the Marketplace.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Make sure she knows to post that you died in the Lounge, not the Marketplace.
Yeah, good point.

Maury

budster101
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 05:11 PM

What store?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 05:28 PM

Why do people insist on posting "goodbye" threads? Are they looking for some kind of self-gratification? Just leave.
I wish they would actually go after they post their little dramatic tirade. If they feel the need to go and make such a fuss over leaving that they make a thread about it then stay gone. Speaking of which...

She also said that telling people what to do in their private time sounds against the law.
Tell her she is wrong and an idiot. Maybe her lack of intelligence is why she is stuck in such a dead end job at her age.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
I wish they would actually go after they post their little dramatic tirade. If they feel the need to go and make such a fuss over leaving that they make a thread over it then stay gone. Speaking of which...
Ya like the stink after the intel announcement. They are ALL still kicking around.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
How much could they possibly pay you an hour to control your personal life?
Most probably $8/hr.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ya like the stink after the intel announcement. They are ALL still kicking around.
That was about leaving the Mac platform, not 'NN.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
Most probably $8/hr.
He should get a job at taco bell and continue to do what he likes on his personal time.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 05:34 PM

That was about leaving the Mac platform, not 'NN.
So in other words leave the Mac platform and continue to troll on MacNN.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

jamil5454  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín

Judging from the responses, I'll continue my posting journey.

False alarm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules