Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > No Mac Sound/Audio works - only in Logic?!

No Mac Sound/Audio works - only in Logic?!
Xatonia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 01:57 AM

My problem started when I installed bootcamp. Windows has sound and everything works normally and perfectly.

On my mac side however, sound no longer does. I get no system sounds, can't play music etc. But, strangely in Logic Studio, audio still works and I can listen to things etc etc - the only problem in there is everything has to be cranked up to full volume settings (my speakers and the internal logic volume control) which is strange.

I took a photo of the audio midi setup - volume is set to nothing, I wonder if this is the problem but theres no way to adjust it.

PLEASE HELP. Getting desperate now as I can't work, and this is my career >.<

Many thanks

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8

5496/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2012, 03:23 AM

Have you reset the PRAM?

Reboot, and immediately hold down Cmd, option, P, and R keys until you've heard the startup chime for the third or fourth time.

Xatonia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 03:33 AM

I just tried. The start up 'chime' did get louder when the PRAM kicked in, but no change to my problem unfortunately. Mp3s, sound in itunes, browser etc - all sound. None of it works except in logic as previously described.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2012, 06:12 AM

Could you try deleting the midi prefs maybe?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Xatonia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 06:21 AM

I copied com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist to desktop, then deleted it from the preferences - was this what you meant? Restarted. This didn't work unfortunately.

Thanks for helping me guys - no solution yet. :-(

Xatonia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 06:25 AM

Also incase it means anything - when I'm in Logic (and audio there is vaguely working, as described in first post). the keyboard volume control, and the volume control slider on desktop (up near the time and date) make absolutely NO difference to sound output volume. If they're completely turned down, logic plays music at its volume regardless. So it seems Logic is somehow operating independently of all other sound. Just incase that helps towards solving the problem?!

Xatonia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 07:19 AM

Solved. Was an error in values in the built in output. I set to use built in output then added values and it worked. Thanks for the help guys!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Xatonia View Post
Solved. Was an error in values in the built in output. I set to use built in output then added values and it worked. Thanks for the help guys!
Glad you got it solved, but out of curiosity: Which values did you add, and where?

I noticed you had two aggregate devices in Audio/MIDI setup, but no inputs/outputs were assigned in your screenshot. Did you mean adding up channel numbers to use the correct channels?

Xatonia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2012, 02:33 AM

Should there be input / outputs assigned that aren't then? Honestly I don't really understand what SHOULD be setup and what shouldn't in this mixer. :-( I've attached a screen shot of what it looks like now. Seems to all be working. I haven't gone back into windows yet though to confirm windows audio is still working. A little confused why this should have happened in the first place.

5511/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 04:35 AM

You changed it from "built-in line output" to "built-in output".

That makes sense.

But which "values" did you "add" to make it work after that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules