Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube-can't find hard drive

Cube-can't find hard drive
Lesadept
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2001, 07:23 AM

Hello;
I have a Cube in which the following has occured:
cube was on, came back into the room to find blinking question mark on screen.
I can startup from the PowerCube Software Install or Restore Disks, Disk First Aid and Driver Setup do not see the Cube's drive. I tried making a startup cd from another G4 desktop(volume partition, install of system software from G4 disk, and included Norton Install as well, using Tost Titanium to create a bootable disk,) trying to start from this cd gives me a "bad file mapping" error and I can go no further.
I am about to pull the drive out, throw it into the other G4 desktop as a slave drive and hopefully proceed. At best I am hoping that this is a simple desktop file issue- once I get to mount the drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Leslie Bartlett

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2001, 10:30 AM

Make sure the drive is fully connected. Unlikely, but it happens and would explain the symptoms. Good luck.

Versanick
May 30, 2001, 05:20 PM

This same thing happened to me.

After restarting with the system CD and restarting once more, the problem was fixed. Go to your Startup Disk control panel after starting up with the boot CD to see if your software is recognizing the drive at all. If it is not, then you'll know that your problem is more than skin deep. If it is there, there is something basic wrong with your system. Make sure you have the latest disk drivers if you can... erm

There may be something in the apple tech info libraries http://til.info.apple.com

good luck

MiniMan
Forum Regular
May 30, 2001, 05:21 PM

I had a similar problem and I think it came down to a bad hub (USB or Firewire - I can't remember). When I got it all back up and running though I plugged the same hubs back in and it's worked since, so I don't really have an answer....
For a while mine would only boot up on the Hardware Test CD and would only proceed if you ran all the tests... crazy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules