Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office My Day or other PIM iPhone sync-capable programs

Office My Day or other PIM iPhone sync-capable programs
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2009, 12:59 AM

I need some help making decisions here and I need some much needed input from other users, power users hopefully. I really like the idea of My Day from MS Office 08. Only problem is that our company is using a mobile me account to sync our calendars and address books. I have an iphone and my partner has the BB pearl flip from Tmo. We use the Groups in Address book for our email needs and use Mail. Thus far we're all Apple for the office stuff like ical and mail, then word & excel for docs.

My problem is this... Office 2008 came with this part of it called My Day. I'd like something like that to use with mail & notes & ical. I havent found much but for one program called Anxiety, of all things... buty it only does the tasks. I'd like to see the notes and tasks on a widget or something that sits on the desktop to show me what I'm supposed to do next.

Is there an in between piece of software that will help with the workflow of projects? That was the MAIN draw of Office was that I could keep documents, emails, and every other relevant piece of info in just one quick space to look.

So I guess I'd like some feedback from power users who need to sync specifically to the iphone and how you guys do it. Anyone do it from Office to the iphone? keeping in mind that we use the Groups in Address book and the colored calendars for categories in ical. And I was hoping that this thread could be sort of a rolling discussion to help figure out a work flow.... I guess. I just know I'm so tired of not having anyone around me here that can talk like me and help me sound out some tech ideas to help me keep going in the right direction.

Thanks guys.
Bishop
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 04:53 AM

For tasks and events in iCal, MenuCalendarClock is a good place to start (note, there is also a version that integrates with Entourage if you use it). Shareware.

Alternatively, there is the iCal Events widget for Dashboard which will show you events for up to the next two weeks. Freeware.

Growl is probably another option, but I have no experience using it so I don't know for sure. Freeware.

However, if you are truly serious about getting things done on schedule, you need a dedicated GTD app such as OmniFocus or Things, both of which have iPhone clients that synch back to the Desktop apps. Both are Commercial apps.

Personally, I use OmniFocus which is a fantastic app. I tried Things a while back, but found it too limiting at the time (it might have improved since then as this was about a year ago). From what I have read of the two apps, I believe the OmniFocus iPhone app is better than that of Things - it has more robust (and more) synching options for starters. However, if you don't mind only being able to synch when you are near your Wi-Fi network, Things would probably work fine.

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2009, 11:24 AM

I edited the title because it was vague. If you don't like this one just propose another and I'll re-edit.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2009, 12:00 AM

Cold, it's fine, thank you very much. I'm sorry about the vaugeness of it... much thanks.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules