Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > powerpoint 2008 : animated bullets

powerpoint 2008 : animated bullets
PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2009, 04:14 AM

update : its solved

Hi, it seems that MS Office 2008 lacks the possibility of animated bullets. I mean that a bullet will appear every time you hit enter.
In the office 2004 you would just use the template-page with bullets, in 2008 this template is no longer there. I have checked the MS support pages, internet. I don't understand how to do this essential thing in Powerpoint 2008

I cant use Works or OpenOffice here. Thanks
( Last edited by PB2K; Jul 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2009, 08:45 AM

That's called "transitions." I haven't installed '08 yet, but I'll bet it really works, you just were looking for the wrong term. And if MS didn't have eleventy-bazillion® different routes to exactly the same function (most of which aren't well described, if covered at all, in Help), you probably wouldn't have this issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2009, 09:12 AM

Animation in PPT ?

Get the heck out of here.

-t

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2009, 10:01 AM

i mean these kind of bullets. iPowerpoint help doesn't say how to animate them

i'll try the transition dialog screen

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2009, 10:40 AM

ok appearantly this transition thing works, but it's really complicated

in short :
• add a bullet
next bullet cannot be added in ppt 2008 so you select the numbered bullets instead and add new bullets like :
1 - bullet
2 - bullet
then you select all and convert to • bullets.

In menu / slidehow / animations you can add some animation/sound to the bullets.

ibook_steve
Jul 14, 2009, 06:15 PM

Not sure what you mean here. All you have to do:

1: Create your bullets.
2: Select the text box containing the bullets and add an animation for it. This creates an animation action with the flippy triangle on the left in the custom animation section of the toolbox. Flipping the triangle reveals the list of animations for each of the individual bullets. Powerpoint does not allow you to *add* animations to individual bullets, only to all the text in a text box (stupid, yes), but it does let you remove or edit animations on individual bullets using this list.

I don't understand your whole regular bullet/numbered bullet thing. Hitting enter in a text box always creates new bullets if either kind is enabled.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Not sure what you mean here. All you have to do:

1: Create your bullets.
2: Select the text box containing the bullets and add an animation for it. This creates an animation action with the flippy triangle on the left in the custom animation section of the toolbox. Flipping the triangle reveals the list of animations for each of the individual bullets. Powerpoint does not allow you to *add* animations to individual bullets, only to all the text in a text box (stupid, yes), but it does let you remove or edit animations on individual bullets using this list.

I don't understand your whole regular bullet/numbered bullet thing. Hitting enter in a text box always creates new bullets if either kind is enabled.

Steve
It's ALWAYS easier to add transitions AFTER you complete the slide. No matter which version, which platform, or which template, make the slide the way you want and then add transitions.

And as Steve says, Return by default adds another entry at the current indent setting. If you're at the top level, no bullets and no indent. If you're below that you get the appropriate indent and bullet for that outline level.

It really is easy to do, but MS doesn't make it obvious that it's easy.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules