Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's your latest thing?

What's your latest thing?
wolfen
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 06:24 PM

So we're all a bit above-average intelligence wise around here. And I was wondering what others are doing for entertainment, lately.

I've decided to study Buddhism. Now, don't jump on me for BEING a buddhist because I'm not...I'm just reading a few books and learning about it. I'm also considering picking up some italian.

What's turning on your mind, lately?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 07:03 PM

warts.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2005, 07:09 PM

(Nice opening statement )

I have nothing particular at the moment that I am getting into just for the fun of it. I am being introduced to the world of alarm call centres, comprehensive car insurance policies and terms, and many other fun and exciting things in that general area; but the only reason I'm learning about that is that I've just started a job at SOS International, a Danish alarm call centre. I'll be spending all summer there, helping Scandinavians whose cars have somehow malfunctioned on holidays.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2005, 07:10 PM

Why would someone jump on you for "BEING" Buddhist?

My thing is graduating college. Sadly, I have so much to do that it's the only thing I can do for the next week and a half. After that, my thing will be sitting on the couch for the next 4 years while my mom yells at me to find a job.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 07:16 PM

My thing at the moment is learning how to ice skate. Its quite addictive, when I'm not skating I'm thinking about when I can go next. My current nemesis is learning how to do backward crossovers ...

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 07:17 PM

eBay. Baseball Cards. Rickey Henderson. $$$$$. Broke.

alligator
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 07:23 PM

Just took up inline marathon skating. I'll be doing my first this fall.

Also became a Skywarn member.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 07:24 PM

taking up photography
iamwhor3hay

Mafia
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 07:50 PM

learning german before my trip in june .
http://www.mafia-designs.com

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 08:50 PM

I'm not proud of this, but lately I've developed a fascination with those two rednecks that sell hunting knives at 1 a.m. If I'm up, I watch them. So far I've ordered two sets (about 30 knives each) and given them out to friends.

I can't explain why but I'm vexed by these two guys and their twangy sales pitch. I hope they put out an album.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
I'm not proud of this, but lately I've developed a fascination with those two rednecks that sell hunting knives at 1 a.m. If I'm up, I watch them. So far I've ordered two sets (about 30 knives each) and given them out to friends.

I can't explain why but I'm vexed by these two guys and their twangy sales pitch. I hope they put out an album.
Seek help. Now.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
May 17, 2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi

I'm in Guam and I've seen those guys too! They are frickin' hilarious! Haven't ordered anything though.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 09:08 PM

I've been trying to learn how to play the guitar...for the last year or so...for the second time around.

I reckon I should dedicate more time to it

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 09:14 PM

my "thing" now is discovering The Carter Family. There was a documentary on PBS recently and i watched it and though, oh ok. and didn't think twice...and of course, the songs got on my mind and now i can't stop listening to them. also a few dylan songs, a cup of coffee before i go and hurricane

also learning about mathmatics...not sure what but find it fun

Mafia
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 09:16 PM

the gorillaz has sparked my interest lately... plus the new nin album has definitely made me more interested in garageband.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 09:20 PM

I am kicking ass and taking names with Logic Pro on my G5 tower. Mixed these last week:

http://dukesofsimpleton.com/Audio.html

Recorded straight up live, microphones-->preamp-->hard disk, in our rehearsal room. Cost=$Zero. Now that I'm getting the hang of this gizmo, (after 2 years) I'm totally stoked about its potential.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 10:08 PM

Studying stats.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by wolfen
So we're all a bit above-average intelligence wise around here. And I was wondering what others are doing for entertainment, lately.

I've decided to study Buddhism. Now, don't jump on me for BEING a buddhist because I'm not...I'm just reading a few books and learning about it. I'm also considering picking up some italian.

What's turning on your mind, lately?
I'm reading up on krsna Consciesness (Hare Krisna) a bloke in Auckland gave me a copy, not a bad mindset really, but i'm starting to read about the prtoection of cows and the book is losing it.

Buddhism is next on my list, recommend any books?

Not that i'm on a religion quest or anything, just sick of the materialistic nature of existance at the moment and want to look at other areas of the world, so I know where your coming from.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 02:07 AM

iMovie 5 and 16:9 video. It's great to be filming again.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 02:36 AM

Searching for a job in the Seattle area.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 02:58 AM

Putting together iMovies/iDVD's for my kids' hockey team and researching audio equipment for a new home theater.

viperstrike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 03:27 AM

Motorcycles and photography...the toys just get bigger and more expensive.

willed
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 03:46 AM

( Last edited by willed; May 31, 2005 at 02:08 AM. )

Yose
Senior User

After finishing a contract in an industry I had little knowledge of beforehand I'm getting back into school with a couple of summer classes - photography, etc - and leading into my final year at college. I'm also trying to tame the garden here at my house by learning how to prune and what plants do well in shade/sun, etc.

Oh, and racing season has started so I'm out on the lake every Tuesday and Thursday evening!
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Cipher13

SCUBA diving, and learning Japanese.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 03:54 AM

I'm in the midst of switching jobs right now, which will include a move of continents as well. In the interim, between post-whoring here, I finally started a blog page and I'm working on some stuff trying to land a book deal, which would be my first.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 03:57 AM

Dissecting dogs in front of school children.

Actually drinking lots of caffeine and sitting on my arse seems to be more the trend.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 04:01 AM

Hey, is that --?- ?? They finally fixed your name. Nice.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ω
Dissecting dogs in front of school children.

Actually drinking lots of caffeine and sitting on my arse seems to be more the trend.
Hey, I can see the omega sign! Good deal

Ω
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 04:07 AM

Tooki pulled me through. DH is arse!

....No Trogdor, no.......AARRRGGGH!!!!

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 04:07 AM

Chemistry...

KNO3 + Sugar --> awesome.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 04:16 AM

In 4 hours I will have been working straight for 24 hours on a project that someone else did not complete and I will make 3X what I would normally get paid for it. I've just been working a lot lately so no time for much else.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 04:19 AM

Job hunting... planning my trip to Toronto... working a lot with my youth group kids... trying to woo a girl I like... continuing to do the whole work out/get in better shape thing... planning on buying some supplements and stuff once I have money from a job... soon I have to start writing material for the Bible study I'll be leading this summer... as well I think I might do my normal summer attempt at my book haha... dang it's been a recurring thing the last several years...

As for looking into Buddhism, it's a trendy thing to do these days in intelectualish circles... now tell someone you're reading about Baptists or something like that... then watch the sparks fly! That said the Anabaptists have some interesting history about em too...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 04:24 AM

Bicycling.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2005, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
As for looking into Buddhism, it's a trendy thing to do these days in intelectualish circles... now tell someone you're reading about Baptists or something like that... then watch the sparks fly! That said the Anabaptists have some interesting history about em too...
Why do you think it's a trend? Learning about Buddhism is a key step to opening one's eyes to the culture of a huge portion of the world's population. It's about learning something completely different from the world you grew up in. If that's "trendy" then I very much support the trend.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 04:44 AM

Buddhism is a kind and gentle philosophy. I hesitate to call it a religion, per se. It is an enlightening reperception of the world. My friend became a buddhist and it turned his world around. He is much happier and in control.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2005, 05:29 AM

Thread derailment stopped.

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 05:30 AM

Nothing really entertains me anymore.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Nothing really entertains me anymore.
Educating Cody about religion vs philosophy was working for me.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 06:07 AM

Ultimate Frisbee

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 06:23 AM

Turning ESP 'off' on my 350Z so i can have some sliding fun [dry weather permitting!]

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 07:14 AM

Living life, learning languages and patterns, having fun..

my latest thing is to enjoy the summer!

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:19 AM

Hi Xeo:

Thanks.

(Whew.)

When I'm not working I just enjoy being with my children, working on a book, and I love visiting the beach here where we live. Sometimes we go boating down in the Florida Keys.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
I've actually been reading up on the Anabaptists, lately. I got intrigued about Christian sects that eschew iconography after the recent spate of "Jesus in a Tortilla" and "Virgin in the Underpass" business. We've got a decent-sized Mennonite community just over the border in Northern Mexico. They seem like very dedicated, serious, spiritual people. I admire them, in a way.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
taking up photography
I soundly agree. I just purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ5 5MP 12x optical zoom camera w/ a Leica lens. Great for all the sporting and travel (I hope to) do. It's been quite fun! Also I'm planning on getting engaged in the upcoming months and want lots of pictures of us.

ANDDD I'm going to Busch Gardens w/ that special lady all this weekend and I've gotta take pics of the new DarKastle Ride! Woohoo!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2005, 11:06 AM

Shamefully, I've been playing WoW (World of Warcraft), 3-5 hours /day. Which means, I'm only working 10-12 hrs /day now. I feel like a slacker... but I needed a break for a few months.

On a more intellectual note, I've been studying Chaldean/Babylonian cryptography. Neato stuff.

Illsheena nu'breda (long life and prosperity)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 11:39 AM

On a more intellectual note, I've been studying Chaldean/Babylonian cryptography. Neato stuff.

I'm still working on a project. Got sleep for two hours and now I'm back on it. I'm determined to get it out tonight by 5:00 PM via FedEx so I can collect my cash and Pass GO!

willed
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Shamefully, I've been playing WoW (World of Warcraft), 3-5 hours /day. Which means, I'm only working 10-12 hrs /day now. I feel like a slacker... but I needed a break for a few months.

Illsheena nu'breda (long life and prosperity)
Cool. To what end? Are you planning to be able to read the original tablets? Are you interested in the history? Or is this just an intellectual challenge?

historylme
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 12:36 PM

This is what I been thinking... What is my next distraction? I know that I need to continue to write, but I just feel... blaw. I feel directionless at the moment.

My core pursuits are going strong but I just feel like tunning out for a bit... maybe I should try WoW.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 12:37 PM

Music-wise, I'm waiting for my copy of George Russell's Lydian chromatic concept of tonal organization. I'm pretty excited about that...
Programming-wise, I've peen playing around with Ruby, and plan on learning LISP in the next weeks. Any good advice on the LISP-side is appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules