Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 3 gig in a quicksilver?

3 gig in a quicksilver?
the_glass_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 02:25 AM

I've noticed the prices of ram going up, and need to upgrade soon. I noticed on ram seeker that a few places are selling 1 gig sticks of ram. Am I missing something here? I thought the quicksilvers had a max of 1.5 gig, so does this mean I can have one stick and then a 512, or can I go higher? Can I go up to 3 gig? Whats the deal? Is there a firmware update of something that will make 3 gig possible?

Cipher13
Dec 10, 2001, 02:49 AM

You can't use 1 gig sticks... too many banks... the mobo cant' address it all. Or somethin' like that.

I still find it amusing that my G4 can have more RAM than yours

otis52
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2001, 03:13 AM

Cipher..what are you running &how much ram do you have. if you don't mind me asking.
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

Leonis
Senior User
Dec 10, 2001, 03:43 AM

Well. My Dual 500 has four RAM slots. Three 512s and one 256.....1.75 GB total
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Cipher13
Dec 10, 2001, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by otis52:
<STRONG>Cipher..what are you running &how much ram do you have. if you don't mind me asking.</STRONG>
Sawtooth 400 with 4 RAM slots... 3 occupied; 64 + 64 + 512.

640 megs total; another 512 on the way soon for 1152 megs, and then I might ditch the 64's and take her up to 2 gigs.

The ultimate system is a Sawtooth with a dual 533 card.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 10:55 AM

I thought Mac OS oculd only recognize 1.5 gigs of memory. Wait, that's OS 9.

RAM is cheap. Getting expensive. I'm getting a 512 stick for my iMac Christmas so I can run OS X.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2001, 12:55 PM

Cypher, you're only at 640. I have 1280 MB - 2 x 512 plus 1 x 256. But as Cypher says, I'm currently restricted to a max of 1.5 GB in my Dual-800.

MacOS 9 can only reference 1.5 GB, but I believe MacOS X can reference up 2 GB.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 05:02 PM

Actually, in Mach (Darwin/OS X) each application has up to 4 GB of addressable memory space.

3 GB should work in a QS (although I take no responsibility if yours fries while trying it).

They said 512 was the max for the pismo, and mine has 1 GB in it, so I think those "up to x amount of ram" are the marketing department sniffing glue again. Basically, the machine is capable, but it depends what is on the market when the machine sells. Since 512 was it, then 3*512=1.5 GB.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

andywoollard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2001, 07:06 PM

you have 3 slots hence 1.5 gig at 3 x 512mb However I have found that if you use multiple 512 chips g4 gets unstable. I suggest you go for 1 x 512 and 2 x 256 = 1 gig . who the hell needs more than that anyway.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 07:16 PM

Well, maybe it's capable. I know my Beige G3 was only supposed to be able to support 128 MB DIMMs, but it's happily running a 256 MB module. So the Quicksilver mobo _may_ support 1 GB DIMMs, but there might be issues and you'll only see 512, etc. Only way to find out is to try....worst thing that can happen is you'll only address half the memory or it won't work at all. Or a total protonic reversal...no, wait, that's from crossing the streams. Nevermind

"Why worry? Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back."

--J

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by andywoollard:
<STRONG>you have 3 slots hence 1.5 gig at 3 x 512mb However I have found that if you use multiple 512 chips g4 gets unstable. I suggest you go for 1 x 512 and 2 x 256 = 1 gig . who the hell needs more than that anyway. </STRONG>
You obviously don't do video editing/dvd burning

Multiple 512 sticks work fine in G4--no stability issues whatsoever. Uptime for me is ~24 days. Perhaps the RAM you got is shoddy? I use OWC and find it works fine.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Cipher13
Dec 11, 2001, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>I thought Mac OS oculd only recognize 1.5 gigs of memory. Wait, that's OS 9.

RAM is cheap. Getting expensive. I'm getting a 512 stick for my iMac Christmas so I can run OS X.</STRONG>
The other 512 megs is recognised just fine and can be used as a RAM disk.

v0id7
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 09:56 PM

would linux be able to recognise 3gb of ram?
_______void_______

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2001, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by v0id7:
<STRONG>would linux be able to recognise 3gb of ram?</STRONG>
The issue isn't if the OS will recognize it. It's if the motherboard supports it. OS X will definitely be able to use 3GB if the motherboard sees it all. I'm pretty sure Linux would too.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: kbbaucom ]

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2001, 05:58 PM

Hmm, it could do it, we just need to find someone with a 1 GB chip to try it. I doubt it though cuz most of those 1 GB chips and stuff bigger are for beefy servers only.

Forum Links
Forum Rules