Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PC GeForce 2 MX

PC GeForce 2 MX
j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 07:02 AM

I finally went out and bought a:

AGP 2x/4x PalitDaytona GeForce 2 MX 200 64MB

After reading all the threads on PC GF2s being installed in Cubes I decided to get one for my Cube.

I'm running Firmware 4.1.9 although when installed no signal is sent through its VGA port (monitor does not turn on).

I tried it several times with no luck.

Is the problem in the brand? The MX speed (200mx vs 400mx)? Or something else?

Thanks.
j

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: j3kyll ]
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2001, 08:06 AM

MX 200s won't work with the Mac ROM. The MX 200 uses 64-bit SDRAM, whereas the standard MX, and MX 400 use either 128-bit SDRAM, or 64-bit DDR RAM. The Mac ROM isn't made to work with 64-bit SDRAM.

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2001, 06:01 PM

yea make sure to get the same version as the thing on XLR8 your mac's page
or it won't work

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2001, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by COmie JOe:
<STRONG>yea make sure to get the same version as the thing on XLR8 your mac's page
or it won't work</STRONG>
There are many different cards that will work. I have a PNY card in mine that works fine. Other people have Asus cards, or Hercules Prophet IIs, LeadTek, Abit, and others.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2001, 07:40 AM

How about a PC GeForce 3 card? That's what I'd like to get, since they're always on sale at stores like bestbuy for 100 bucks. I don't wanna have to flash the ROM in a PC cuz the only people I have with PCs have older ones with PCI boards. What's gonna work right out of the box?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by mrchin:
<STRONG>How about a PC GeForce 3 card? That's what I'd like to get, since they're always on sale at stores like bestbuy for 100 bucks. I don't wanna have to flash the ROM in a PC cuz the only people I have with PCs have older ones with PCI boards. What's gonna work right out of the box?</STRONG>
The bad news is none of the $100 GeForce 3 cards are going to work. Those are the GeForce 3 TI 200s. I haven't heard of anyone getting one to work yet (I have heard of several failures though). I'm sure some people have gotten standard GeForce 3 cards to work out of the box, but I just went through 2 months of posts on XLR8YourMac and couldn't find a specific card that did. PNY's GeForce 3 might work out of the box since their 2 MX400 did for me. Make sure you are getting a standard GeForce 3, and not a TI 200 or TI 500 though.

<Jesper>
Dec 17, 2001, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by kbbaucom:
<STRONG>

The bad news is none of the $100 GeForce 3 cards are going to work. Those are the GeForce 3 TI 200s. I haven't heard of anyone getting one to work yet (I have heard of several failures though). I'm sure some people have gotten standard GeForce 3 cards to work out of the box, but I just went through 2 months of posts on XLR8YourMac and couldn't find a specific card that did. PNY's GeForce 3 might work out of the box since their 2 MX400 did for me. Make sure you are getting a standard GeForce 3, and not a TI 200 or TI 500 though.</STRONG>
Hi

So, what is a standard Geforce 3 card? I might be trying to get one for my quicksilver 733, but it feels a bit like entering uncharted waters to try and add a pc geforce 3 to a mac. I havent been able to find a webpage that really explains all about it either. can you give me some tips?

//Jesper

Forum Links
Forum Rules