Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Securing additional hard drives & pci boards in a G4 case

Securing additional hard drives & pci boards in a G4 case
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 10:19 PM

I've been the proud owner of a Power Mac G4/400 sawtooth system for about 18 months now. Along the way I've made various modifications to the system's internal hardware without incident (knock on wood).

However, I hadn't taken out as much time as I should have to make sure the IBM Desktar 60xp 40GB drive recently purchased was secure, nor was the Realtek 8139 (?) PCI NIC secure. In another posting I mentioned that this being accidentally pulled on caused my performa 6400's motherboard to cease working earlier this year.

The hard drive is in there with just a single screw.

Are there any companies that make "utility packs" for apple's tower designs? Say some torx and flat head screwdrivers of the appropriate size and screws for when you lose them or the device you added to your case doesn't come with them.

Thanks for the help.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2001, 05:46 AM

You don' t need any special "utility packs" to secure hard drives or PCI cards in a G4. They both use standard phillips screws. To install the PCI card, you had to remove a screw, and PCI slot cover. Use the same screw to hold the card in. Hard drives come with screws (usually 4-8 of them).

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2001, 01:30 AM

velcro is another alternative to securing (additional) hard disks inside a G4

Forum Links
Forum Rules