Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > 6100wG3 upgrade burning up

6100wG3 upgrade burning up
mattstoton
Senior User
Dec 17, 2001, 02:00 PM

I have a 6100/66 with 40MB of RAM (actually I own an iMac). I just added a Sonnet Crescendo 266 with 1 MB of cache and now it crashes randomly. It doesn't matter what I do... it'll freeze on anything. I've done all the normal stuff... reinstalling the system and such... but to no avail. Could it be over-heating? Am I running the correct system (either 9.0 or 9.1). If it is too hot (the Metronome stats app says 51c), what brand of fan should I buy and where should I put it?
New sig coming soon. Yes, it will violate the sig guidelines :p

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 09:33 AM

I've got a 6100 w/ G3 from Newer. It does not overheat or crash. When I tried upping the cache speed it would crash so you could try lowering that ratio.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2001, 05:13 AM

I have a Newer card in one of my 6100s, and it runs hotter, but never crashes. I am running 9.0.4. As Roofus said, lowering the cache speed might work.

mattstoton  (op)
Senior User
Dec 29, 2001, 07:55 AM

How do I lower the cache speed on a sonnet?
New sig coming soon. Yes, it will violate the sig guidelines :p

<JoeG4Error>
Dec 29, 2001, 10:58 AM

Dangit that anime girl is pretty

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 12:16 AM

anyway. the 6100 has heat dissipation issues. Elevate it from your desk if possible. there was supposed to be a way to replace the bad fan in the powersupply (i want to know too). on the old processor heat sink, you could fit one of those tiny fans. i'd say add a fan next to the powersupply blowing the correct way. just throw in a few 486/pentium fans.

try removing the cdrom if you don't really need it, or have an external box for it. try clearing the pram and holding down the cuda button. I've never seen this upgrade, but if its heat dissipation, all of that will fix it. if it still overheats, try mounting it in a PC or watercooling it and tell me how =)
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2002, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
<STRONG>anyway. the 6100 has heat dissipation issues. Elevate it from your desk if possible. there was supposed to be a way to replace the bad fan in the powersupply (i want to know too). on the old processor heat sink, you could fit one of those tiny fans. i'd say add a fan next to the powersupply blowing the correct way. just throw in a few 486/pentium fans.

try removing the cdrom if you don't really need it, or have an external box for it. try clearing the pram and holding down the cuda button. I've never seen this upgrade, but if its heat dissipation, all of that will fix it. if it still overheats, try mounting it in a PC or watercooling it and tell me how =)</STRONG>
Replacing the fan in the PSU is pretty easy. First remove the power supply. Then take it apart. I believe it has 3 screws holding it together. Then cut the wires going to the fan (close to the fan). Get an 80mm fan and cut the connector off of it. Then connect it to the wires that were going to the old fan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules