Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Using multiple ethernet ports simultaneously

Using multiple ethernet ports simultaneously
maximage
Nov 29, 2001, 11:39 AM

I want to connect my Quicksilver to an ethernet hub via Appletalk and the built in port, and then ALSO simultaneously connect to a PC directly using Appletalk and an installed PCI Ethernet card. This is all for the sake of a 5 way Tournament session tomorrow night using my tower, my iBook, a G3 Pismo, a G4 TiBook, and (gasp!) a PC. My hub is only 4 way so we need this desparate measure to get the 5th computer in. Any way to get the extra computer running on the network with any of the other available ports, or to get my tower to utilise both Ethernet ports at once?

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 29, 2001, 02:59 PM

I've never tried using two Ethernet cards with a Mac. But I know a couple of PCs that do exactly that, so if you had difficulty setting up the Mac with two cards maybe you could try it with the PC? Otherwise, hopefully someone who knows what they're doing will be able to help...
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2001, 06:43 PM

If you use IPNetRouter, you can do it. You should be using TCP/IP though, and not AppleTalk to play games. I don't know of any current games that use AppleTalk, and I don't know of ANY for the PC. Anyway, the mac with the two cards would probably have to be the server for all the games, but it should work.

maximage  (op)
Nov 29, 2001, 10:45 PM

Thankyou for your replies. I actually posted late at night (well, really EARLY morning) here in Western Australia and wasnt thinking too clearly. Went to bed after making post and then realisied my error after lying there thinking about it for half an hour. I did mean Tcp/Ip, not Appletalk! Thanks again for the solution!

Forum Links
Forum Rules