Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Two Docks?

Two Docks?
kbbaucom
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2001, 10:43 AM

My room mate had the idea of having two docks, in different locations, with different things in them (one with apps, one with folders, whatever). I tried to get it working a couple months ago, but never figured it out. I got several other cocoa apps to use different prefs files, and run two at the same time (an analog and digital clock running at the same time, each with it's own prefs file, and two Omniwebs with different prefs). There seems to be something in the System that doesn't allow two docks to run at once. I can't seem to find it though. Anyone have an idea?

v0id7
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 11:30 AM

drag thing will look just like a transparent dock if u use the transparency option and u can even make it come up when u move your mouse to a certain side of the screen
_______void_______

rstevens
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2001, 11:48 PM

lovin' the drag thing - but is there any way to run it w/o a dock icon?

v0id7
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2001, 08:17 PM

i dont use my dock at all, i just made it very small and put it on the top of the screen
_______void_______

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2001, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by v0id7:
<STRONG>i dont use my dock at all, i just made it very small and put it on the top of the screen</STRONG>
Top of the screen???? how did you manage that?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

kbbaucom  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
<STRONG>

Top of the screen???? how did you manage that?</STRONG>
Easy. Just modify com.apple.dock.plist in ~/Library/Preferences so it has

&lt;key&gt;orientation&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;top&lt;/string&gt;

Or get TinkerTool, which might be easier, but still can't do all the things you can do in the CLI

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2001, 02:26 AM

LOL, if Steve Jobs ever found out somebody hacked a second dock into OS X, he would probably have a heart attack! hehe...that guy is such a control Nazi.

I've been sending OS X feedback in suggesting multiple docks ever since the public beta. I think it would rock to organize icons by type into seperate docks...unfortunately Apple doesn't agree.

But wouldn't it be a great option? Apple could make it an "advanced" or "pro" option, bury it deep within the preferences, and that way newbies wouldn't get scared of having two docks (although I think the only person it would scare is Steve Jobs. Sometimes I think that guy is a little bit slow, and that's why he's such a control freak...but I digress).

So yeah, multiple docks would rule. Keep sending in that feedback.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

kbbaucom  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 04:16 AM

Ok...since another person wants two docks, I think I will try again to do it. I *know* it can be done. I just have to do a little (read a LOT) of looking through system files. :-/

v0id7
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2001, 08:23 AM

cool! i bet u could charge 7 bucks for it like windowshade and ppl would pay for shareware that gave u 2 docks...or it could be freeware =)
_______void_______

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2001, 09:46 AM

Just to share some of my experience...

I had been looking to launch two docks for a while now, and just recently in the last month I made a few serious efforts to try and figure it out. I duplicated Dock.app (so now I had Dock2.app as well), went to the preferences folder and duplicated com.apple.dock.plist (com.apple.dock2.plist), then went into Dock2.app/Contents/ and edited the info.plist to change all references of com.apple.dock.plist to com.apple.dock2.plist... when that didn't work, I kind of gave up. Maybe you'll have more perseverance than I.
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2001, 10:47 AM

While two docks would rock, I think multiple workspaces would be even better. I would take two docks in the meantime
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

kbbaucom  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by rgoer:
<STRONG>Just to share some of my experience...

I had been looking to launch two docks for a while now, and just recently in the last month I made a few serious efforts to try and figure it out. I duplicated Dock.app (so now I had Dock2.app as well), went to the preferences folder and duplicated com.apple.dock.plist (com.apple.dock2.plist), then went into Dock2.app/Contents/ and edited the info.plist to change all references of com.apple.dock.plist to com.apple.dock2.plist... when that didn't work, I kind of gave up. Maybe you'll have more perseverance than I.</STRONG>
That's what I tried a couple months ago. It works with everything else. I just haven't figured out how to get the Dock to do it.

udecker
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 12:09 PM

If you do a strings command on the actual Dock application (Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock) you'll see that there is a hardcoded com.apple.dock entry.

If you could patch the app to change that little string to com.apple.dock2 or whatever, you could probably make it work.

(This is assuming that each little string has that much bearing.)

-uD

Forum Links
Forum Rules