Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Turn on logging of shared files

Turn on logging of shared files
kooBi
Mar 12, 2005, 02:40 AM

I'm sharing files with friends' windows computers on our LAN, partly because I'm sometimes forced to use them and want to get stuff from my desktop on the other side of the building.

Is there any way to turn on logging of shared files on my machine, i.e. can I get back to my desktop and pull up a log of files that have been downloaded from my machine from the PCs? I've tried looking for such a log but having little UNIX experience, I don't really know where to look or how to turn on such a function, if it exists.

btw I'm running OS X 10.3.8, if that helps.

Thanks!

kooBi  (op)
Mar 16, 2005, 05:01 AM

After some digging I managed to find a windows networking log file:

/private/var/log/samba/log.smbd

Which at least logs who connects, but not what they do. It's a start! I might try to modify some folder action scripts to do what I want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules