Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 12" heat question

Powerbook 12" heat question
Boosted2003
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 08:50 PM

I performed a seach but could not fine any good info all the temp max's Graphics processor. Only for the processor.

My processors temp doesn't really seem to be a concern. I am more worried about the graphics processor temp.

These are the max temp numbers while playing WOW.

Here is a screen shot of WOW running.

Does anyone believe I should not use the Powerbook 12" for playing WOW?

The computer seems fine running final cut pro with 1.25g of ram rendering HD. (I know I should have G5 but I am waiting on the core duo 2 processor to be aviable in the laptop)

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 01:46 AM

I would be more worried about your hard drive and optical drive! My HDD has never gone beyond 30C, even when i was running my MB with the stock 512MB, which meant constant page-in/page-outs. HDD's shouldn't hit that sorta temperature IMO.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2006, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by pheonixash
I would be more worried about your hard drive and optical drive! My HDD has never gone beyond 30C, even when i was running my MB with the stock 512MB, which meant constant page-in/page-outs. HDD's shouldn't hit that sorta temperature IMO.
My HD temp is usually 40C or under. And I have 2GBs of RAM. Probably because I have a Powerbook.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2006, 10:20 AM

Difficult to give any advice when you don't list which 12" PB you have and how much RAM, how much empty HD space, etc.

Main thing to do is simply to buy a small desk fan, elevate the rear of the 12" using gum erasers or whatever, and blow air across yourself and the PB while gaming (or anything processor intensive...) It'll lower your temps drastically.

Summer room temps are also a contributing factor.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 01:06 PM

Those stats look normal. Play on.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Jeff Lebowski
Jul 29, 2006, 01:47 PM

Yes, notebook components are made to withstand higher temperatures than desktop ones. That's how you can fry an egg on your macbook . Don't worry about it. These things are built to last.

Forum Links
Forum Rules