Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac 17"...can I install Superdrive?

New iMac 17"...can I install Superdrive?
gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 08:16 PM

Hello,

I have a 17" iMac I received as a promotion (free)...it is the 1.83 Ghz w/ combo drive. Can I install a superdrive on this thing myself? I haven't seen any tear downs of this machine on the web...

Thoughts?

TGF

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 10:13 PM

I wouldn't. You practically have to tear the thing apart. Sure, it was easy with the Rev. A and Rev. B iMac G5s, but with the Rev. C G5 and the Intels, Apple inexplicably decided to make it a major pain in the ass to access any of the internals other than RAM, in order to make the machine a few centimeters thinner. I'd just go with an external FireWire burner.

If you must do it, though, here's some instructions. Note that they're for the original Core Duo iMac and there may be some small differences with the Core 2 Duo model.

iMac_Disassembly

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gentryfunk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the info....when i saw the "now remove the black film" I got the willys....I've built a lot of machines in my time but this thing looks donright wacky...

TGF
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by gentryfunk View Post
Thanks for the info....when i saw the "now remove the black film" I got the willys....I've built a lot of machines in my time but this thing looks donright wacky...

TGF
I know. Now look at how easy it is to disassemble the original iMac G5 (pre-iSight):

Disassembled iMac G5 by KODAWARISAN_Page1

Apple even provided instructions:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._harddrive.pdf

That was changed into the monstrosity that is the current iMac to make the case a tiny bit thinner... on a DESKTOP MACHINE.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2006, 02:38 AM

make it real simple. get an external dvd burner. the added bonus is that with an external you can copy a cd directly without having to put it on the hard drive. and you can use it on other (future) machines. enjoy your free imac.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 11:10 AM

Don't be a wimp. Open it up and install the drive. Do some net searching for more than one disassembly guide. You will be able to do it, just be patient and detailed in your efforts.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

LittleBastad
Dec 3, 2006, 06:48 PM

You have a 17" iMac that you received free, as a promotion? What promotion? Where do I sign up?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 07:47 PM

Since it's a desktop, I'd go with an external. About the same price, faster burner, and much easier to throw a Pioneer DVR-111D in a FW400 or USB2 case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules