Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My friend's files have vanished on his G5....??

My friend's files have vanished on his G5....??
QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2004, 07:51 PM

My friend was cruising the internet as usual on his G5 1.6 with 1 gig of ram. OS 10.3.5.

He was using Acquisition for most noble causes surely, when he went into his music folder in his home, and before his eyes a windows media file that he had downloaded from Acquisition disappeared, along with, to his dismay, every single movie, jpeg, and song file he had ever downloaded; around 40-50 gigs of goodiness he had 'collected'.

He points all his acquisition downloads into the 'music' folder, where he then sorts them into their respective places, notably, 'pictures', 'movies', and into iTunes library.

All his bookmarks in Safari have also vannished, and we're pretty sure the missing data is gone, because the hard drive says it has almost all its space available now.

We're not sure what to make of this, and find it bizarre. The PowerMac G5 runs fine.

Could this be some kinda hack or virus or something. It sounds like something that would happen on a pc. We're at a loss. Where's that pesky OS 9 when you need it?

????????

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2004, 08:40 PM

While I can't say for sure what caused this, hopefully your friend will learn to keep a backup from now on.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 21, 2004, 09:14 PM

It wasn't a windoze media file. It was an AppleScript or Application with a custom icon to look like a media file. When launched, it executes a command to delete every file it has permission to delete - ie, all user-owned files.

You might want to leave your downloads folder in List mode, so you can verify that it is a file rather than an application or other item.

An undelete utility that scavenges files from disk may be able to recover many of the lost files. It has a better chance if the files are in subfolders, and if you do not use the HD after the deletions. TechTool Pro can scavenge the volume for files, so can Data Rescue. Norton used to be able to undelete too.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2004, 12:45 AM

what was the last file your friend tried to open?

bighead
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 02:01 AM

Programs like LimeWire and Acquisition hose your directory structures nicely. There's a good chance that to recover the ill-gotten files you'll have to run something like DiskWarrior to hopefully reconstruct a directory. Then copy the files to another volume, format the hard disk and start from scratch.

Continued use of things like Acquisition will cause things to disappear, including system files that will prevent the unit from booting. I deal with it all of the time. It's always college students with their final project that disappeared because of LimeWire (and they blame it on Apple...)

Don't believe me? Boot from your drive in single user mode, run 'fsck -fy' and tell me what you see. Chances are good you'll see invalid b-tree nodes and overlapped extents.

I always zero drives after this, but it's not usually necessary.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

QuadG5Man  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2004, 12:54 PM

Agreed on all counts.

The culprit indeed may have been a small installer file he opened. The file claimed to be a full software install, but was only 50 k in size. When it launched he said the computer acted noticeably strained, such as being locked up, and he had to force quit out of the 'installer' to get anywhere.

Lesson learned the hard way, ouch. Use caution while 'file sharing' folks.

I've never used file recovery software before because it sounds like magic to me.
If 50 gigs are missing, how can they just be formulated again, like a liquid Terminator
oozing back together after enduring the shock and awe attack of the military, or in this case a disguised applescript file.

What kind of results could he expect? Can someone shed a little light down this corridor, inquiring mac minds want to know.

My friend was having trouble getting an account on macnn. Hopefully he'll chime in here.

Fortunately for him, at least his music collection is intact, due to BACking uP!

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by bighead:

Don't believe me? Boot from your drive in single user mode, run 'fsck -fy' and tell me what you see. Chances are good you'll see invalid b-tree nodes and overlapped extents.

I always zero drives after this, but it's not usually necessary.
If zeroing the drive makes a difference, you need a new drive. Zeroing the drive will do a basic attempt at ensuring that files can't be recovered; however, it also maps out bad blocks. Therefore, if zeroing the drive makes a difference, you should be buying a new drive. Instead of just blindly zeroing drives, you should be running TTP4's surface scan. Or, if the machine will boot into OS 9, you can use Drive Setup's surface scan. Don't just blindly zero the drive to fix problems. It's ignorant and irresponsible.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by QuadG5Man:

I've never used file recovery software before because it sounds like magic to me.
If 50 gigs are missing, how can they just be formulated again, like a liquid Terminator
oozing back together after enduring the shock and awe attack of the military, or in this case a disguised applescript file.

What kind of results could he expect? Can someone shed a little light down this corridor, inquiring mac minds want to know.

This is why the detail about NOT USING the machine is important. The only thing that deleting files does is remove the reference in the directory structure. The data is still there. However, in creating or modifying existing files, the data could/will be overwritten, as it is officially "free space." It's not magic. Magic would be undeleting the hand written term paper you lit on fire. This is more like *remembering* where you need to look on the chalkboard to find the information--before it has been cleaned and overwritten.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by QuadG5Man:
Agreed on all counts.

The culprit indeed may have been a small installer file he opened. The file claimed to be a full software install, but was only 50 k in size. When it launched he said the computer acted noticeably strained, such as being locked up, and he had to force quit out of the 'installer' to get anywhere.

Wasn't there a bogus MS Office installer trojan going around the file-sharing networks? Sounds like that to me. Do a search in the OS X forum.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2004, 01:49 AM

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 05:07 PM

That's pretty good - installing what you think is a hot copy of an app will kill your drive. wow - makes you want to think twice about what you install. kind of like dating.

yeah, ah, you generally should not run installer scripts unless you know exactly what the hell you're doing or unless you've completed backed up your drive and don't mind screwing around for 1/2 day recovering the machine.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
That's pretty good - installing what you think is a hot copy of an app will kill your drive. wow - makes you want to think twice about what you install. kind of like dating.

yeah, ah, you generally should not run installer scripts unless you know exactly what the hell you're doing or unless you've completed backed up your drive and don't mind screwing around for 1/2 day recovering the machine.
???
I can wipe a drive and clone from a backup in about 30 minutes, but you're right-- it's Russian Roulette.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2004, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
???
I can wipe a drive and clone from a backup in about 30 minutes, but you're right-- it's Russian Roulette.
Very true, but guys like you and me aren't going to be running some unknown script. The guys who have no clue about cloning drives fwtdm, disk images, etc., etc., etc., are the ones who will get their drives trashed.

I've always said that if you're gonna do **** like that you need to have a spare machine - one for work stuff and one for ****ing around with stuff that you completely don't mind losing. Way too many people have one machine with a single copy of their data. Ouch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules