Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti Hinge Snap

Ti Hinge Snap
huxbnw
Sep 4, 2004, 06:36 PM

After no significant problems with my computer for 18 months, the left hinge of my 1 Gig Ti snapped tonight. The computer still works, but I cannot really open or close the screen. I need this as a laptop, so the current condition is not sustainable.

I do have AppleCare (but live for the year in France), so I assumed it would cover the damage, which was not caused by any carelessness on my part.

But after reading the forums a bit on this problem, I'm concerned that Apple may not cover this kind of damage. I find this completely absurd, since this is a hardware issue that I did not cause. I baby this machine to the point that it scares my girlfriend sometimes.

So can someone tell me what my options are. Will AppleCare cover this damage? Any help from someone who had this problem would be great, as I'm not only bummed about the computer problem, but also that it may now cost a lot to even fix it. Thanks.

ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 07:24 PM

Haha. I'm the same way with my computer. My girlfriend pokes fun at me a lot when I baby my powerbook. She thinks it's ridiculous, but hey, we paid a lot of money for a great looking and working computer, so there's no way that I'm not going to baby it.

Okay, back to being serious. I have a Aluminum Powerbook, so my case is definitely different than yours. But I'll try to help out the best I can.

AppleCare is a funny thing. If they have the slightest doubt that you might have caused the problem, then there's no way that they'll fix it for you on the AppleCare plan. Yeah, it's extremely obsurd and ridiculous. But, there have been reports that the hinges on the current and the past powerbooks haven't been that good. I had to send my powerbook in because my screen became so loose, that it would shake when I typed on it.

So is your hinge completely broken? Do you have pictures or do you think you could take pictures of the hinge situation right now? I think if you explaned to Apple or had a Genius take a look at it, you might be able to get them to replace the hinge for you. I know, it's pretty ridiculous that we have to go to such lengths to get our machines fixed even though we're under warranty, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get covered.

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 07:28 PM

huxbnw: Off topic, but are you in France for school, work, or ???

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by huxbnw:
After no significant problems with my computer for 18 months, the left hinge of my 1 Gig Ti snapped tonight. ...
Apple will fix this under your warranty. This is a very common problem with these machines. Apple is really picky about a lot of stuff, but they know that the hinges are far weaker than they should be--on the Titanium PowerBooks. So, as long as you don't go in and tell them it dropped five feet and cracked, they should fix it for you.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

huxbnw  (op)
Sep 5, 2004, 01:52 AM

If I were in the U.S. I would not be so concerned, as I've heard that this issue is rather common. I really did nothing to create this mess. All was fine until last nightk, when there was some extra tightness in the hinge. I tried to open it ever so slightly, being as careful as possible, and crack. I didn't even move it more than a half inch.

So I'm in France for school until next May. This clearly cannot wait until then. I sincerely hope the service in France will not be markedly different from that in the U.S. Last year my AC adapter blew and it took them 2 weeks to get me a new one. I will take all kinds of pictures before sending it away, probably because I'm an anal law student.

Well thanks for your help. I'll let you all know how things turn out.

huxbnw  (op)
Sep 5, 2004, 11:56 AM

Called AppleCare France this morning, and after an hour wait on hold, I finally got some good news. They agreed to take it away and fix the hinge, stating that this is a common problem with Ti Powerbooks, and they realize they'll have to fix this problem with some regularity. She said it would take 1-2 weeks, which would be quite welcome, seeing as how school starts in 3 weeks. Hopefully I'll get some good news in the weeks to come.

Anyone else had AppleCare cover this kind of damage?

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2004, 02:17 PM

Yes, I owned a Pb 400 (the first g4 powerbook) and I had this happen. It was repaired under applecare US (i believe the top and bottom screen assembly was replaced)

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by huxbnw:
Anyone else had AppleCare cover this kind of damage?
Yes.. about 5 months ago, I opened my PB, and snap.. one of the hinges snapped, half way open. Called up Apple, they agreed to fix it (I had an authorized service guy, one of the few non-apple ones left, 2 blocks away). Took it into him. As he opened it, the other hinge went. He had a screen overnighted to him, and I had my PB back in less than 24 hours.. was pretty impressive!! (I had to pay an extra $30.00 for express service, but as I am working on my PhD with this machine, it was well worth it!)

huxbnw  (op)
Sep 21, 2004, 06:22 AM

Two weeks at AppleCare Europe, and no computer, no message, nothing. If the hinge is such a common problem, shouldn't this be an easy repair? Living without this maching is nearly killing me!

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 06:41 AM

Contact them to see what the deal is. The repair itself is quite short. I had mine done and it took about an hour for them to complete it.

Luckily for me I dropped it into a certified repairer and picked it up an hour later.

And I know how it feels. They make you dependent on the machines by making them so easy to use, and then they take it away - BASTARDS!

Buck_W
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 08:20 AM

I have a 15" TiBook, but unfortunately I do not have Apple Care. Can someone give me a ball park idea on what the costs will be should one of my hinges decide to the go the way of... Well, let's hope not, but I'd like to be prepared.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

robbien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 02:18 PM

I got the dreaded hinge snap last week. I'm out of warranty without Apple Care. I went to the Apple Store in Cambridge, MA and they told me 620 dollars to fix it. Supposedly, they don't just repair the hinge. Instead, they replace the entire casing. I'm currently using this machine to work on my PhD as well. I need it fixed, but I couldn't afford 620 dollars. I ended up sending my PowerBook to pbparts. They charge 200 dollars (labor included) to replace the hinge. The sound of the hinge snap still haunts my dreams.

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 03:08 PM

Geeeeez. For $1050 you could just buy my TiBook from me and have the a year and a half of AppleCare left on it...

Voch

robbien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Voch:
Geeeeez. For $1050 you could just buy my TiBook from me and have the a year and a half of AppleCare left on it...

Voch
Very true. A new 12 iBook costs around 900 dollars with the educational discount. I spent plenty of time at store.apple.com with my mouse ready to click on a new purchase. I eventually talked myself out of it. I'm banking on getting another year and half of use out of my PowerBook and then getting a new one. This time with AppleCare.

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by robbien:
Very true. A new 12 iBook costs around 900 dollars with the educational discount. I spent plenty of time at store.apple.com with my mouse ready to click on a new purchase. I eventually talked myself out of it. I'm banking on getting another year and half of use out of my PowerBook and then getting a new one. This time with AppleCare.
I'm in the same boat, except I may keep my TiBook as a small-factor home server or give it to my Dad or something.

When the low-end iBook has double the processor speed (not quite there yet), double the HD size (with a 60GB BTO upgrade), faster and better wireless, better video (Radeon 9200 vs. Radeon 7500), more RAM capacity (I would max it out to 1.25GB for ~$250 from OWC) and a faster optical drive (8X vs. 24X CD writing) it's almost time to upgrade. Maybe the next revision will tempt me (a $100 price drop would be cool too for us non-edu folks).

Voch

huxbnw  (op)
Sep 22, 2004, 05:48 AM

Called AppleCare Europe this morning and heard some interesting news. Unfortunately, the Powerbook is still there, waiting for a new part to come in. When I asked about the needed part, noting that it was only a basic repair on a hinge, they checked and discovered that after a diagnostic test, I needed 3 parts replaced -- my screen, the hinge, and I didn't catch the third. They said the wait is for the screen. With 3 needed repairs, I myself am thinking about buying a new Powerbook. My plan as of now is to wait until the G5, hoping this one will last in the interim. They said by the end of next week I'd receive it. Sure.

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 05:56 AM

I soldiered on with my machine until the part came in. If they are close by you could ask it back until it arrives.

You take the snapped hinge and a pair of pliers and twist the hinge back until it is out of the way. However this will put pressure on the other hinge and the cabling, so I used some padding to "prop" the screen up.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 10:04 AM

I need to renew my Applecare for my PB 12 and reading through the Term and Conditions, I see:

The Plan does not cover:

a Installation, removal, or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;

b Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, improper environment (including lack of proper temperature or humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure or fluctuation of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, or acts of God;

c Any equipment with a serial number that has been altered or removed;

d Problems caused by a device that is not the Covered Equipment, including equipment that is not Apple-branded, whether or not purchased at the same time as the Covered Equipment;

e Service necessary to comply with the regulations of any government body or agency arising after the date of this Plan;

f Recovery or replacement of any data or software stored on the Covered Equipment;

g Repair, replacement, or maintenance of items that have been subject to wear and tear, such as cases, key caps, knobs, handles, batteries or mechanical parts.

h The provision of replacement equipment during the period when the Covered Equipment is being repaired.
Points B and G are particularly worrying as these are pretty much blanket statements to absolve Apple of any obligation to repair your laptop under any condition. "Wear and tear" could technically cover any moving part, could it not?

Are they generally good about stuff like hinges, LCD screens flaking out, Superdrives breaking, broken fans, or hard drive failure?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules