Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MLB 2004 Playoff discussion

MLB 2004 Playoff discussion (Page 5)
dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
I don't think Boston can come back, and whomever faces NY will beat the crap out of them in the WS. Tonight's game in Houston is HUGE.
I don't think Boston can come back either, but I'm rooting for them. There's nothing that would make this Met fan happier (short of the Mets doing it, of course) than the prospect of the Red Sox eliminating the Yankees in Game 7 at the Stadium. Nearly happened last time...

And do you think that Boston winning four straight to snatch victory away from the Yankees would be enough to kill the curse? How about if they win the WS by beating Clemens? Man, the script just writes itself, we just need the Sox to deliver...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2004, 01:58 PM

I don't think Boston can come back, and whomever faces NY will beat the crap out of them in the WS. Tonight's game in Houston is HUGE.

If Houston wins tonight, Munro should pitch Wed in case we win so Clemens can be fully rested for Game 1 of the WS against NY (think that game will be hyped? ). If Houston loses, Clemens will pitch on short rest on Wed to keep us alive.

At least one of the Champ series is interesting!

I was at the game yesterday, will be there tonight, and have tix to Game 4 of the WS. Go Astros!
I can't believe Beltran hit that pitch.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
I can't believe Beltran hit that pitch.
How long before he is a Yankee?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
How long before he is a Yankee?
Well, hopefully he'll be on the free agent market on wednesday

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 02:40 PM

Now that would end the curse once and for all. I'd love to see that. My Marlins put the whooping on the Yankees last year. It would be great for baseball if the Red Sox come back and make history. No matter what happens the Yankees can't win this year I'd just prove that baseball needs reform. The Yankees out spend everyone and it sucks.

vivamisha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 02:58 PM

Ugh, as fun as the Marlins were, and as much as many people enjoyed seeing the vaunted Yankees taken down, I'm really tired of these wildcard teams riding a streak at the right moment in the playoffs. The Yankees had just gone through one of the most draining, grueling and intense series in baseball history, and then they have to turn around and face this happy go lucky team where everything is just gravy. In my mind, the ALCS was waaaaay more entertaining.

I used to love a good penant race, and the winner of the division got respect. Loser went home. But these days it hardly matters, as long as you make it to the playoffs riding a streak, and have your pitchers hot at the right time. Baseball needs to fix this. I like the wildcard, but I want Division winners to have a bit of an edge, dammit!

And these late starting game are killing me here!!!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by vivamisha:
Ugh, as fun as the Marlins were, and as much as many people enjoyed seeing the vaunted Yankees taken down, I'm really tired of these wildcard teams riding a streak at the right moment in the playoffs. The Yankees had just gone through one of the most draining, grueling and intense series in baseball history, and then they have to turn around and face this happy go lucky team where everything is just gravy. In my mind, the ALCS was waaaaay more entertaining.

I used to love a good penant race, and the winner of the division got respect. Loser went home. But these days it hardly matters, as long as you make it to the playoffs riding a streak, and have your pitchers hot at the right time. Baseball needs to fix this. I like the wildcard, but I want Division winners to have a bit of an edge, dammit!

I agree 100%, I think the Wildcard sucks. I especially agree with the late start times, WTF are they thinking? Every game is ending at like 1-1:30 in the morning. And what's up with scheduling both games at the same time? Baseball is run by idiots and played by idiots. That's all I have to say about that.

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by vivamisha:

The Cubs-Marlins series was just as tough.

I disagree on the WC opinion. I think the Wild Card has really added something to the game. Look at this year's race. Instead of only the NL West to be decided, there was also the Wild Card. Baseball's WC is different than other leagues like the NFL, where the WC always plays on the road. In MLB, even WC teams get home games during the playoffs, so they get the benefit of home field advantage during those games.

Think back to pre-WC with some of the pennant races. Some of the teams that didn't make it would have won the WS as a WC team. I think the WC is good for baseball. And I'm not just saying that because the Astros are the WC this year.

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
I agree 100%, I think the Wildcard sucks. I especially agree with the late start times, WTF are they thinking? Every game is ending at like 1-1:30 in the morning. And what's up with scheduling both games at the same time? Baseball is run by idiots and played by idiots. That's all I have to say about that.
I hate the start times too. Oh for the days before cable when they would schedule all games to be on broadcast television.

vivamisha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 03:51 PM

I'm not just saying that because the Astros are the WC this year.
Why don't I believe that? And hey I'm not anti Wild Card- there have been many memorable series with wild card teams. I just think the wild card teams should start out the playoffs at a disadvantage. Minnesota wins their division and they start on the road, same as the wild card Red Sox. Sure the Sox are a better team, but they were given ample oppurtunity to win the division- a frigging basebal tradition! - and failed.

Once a team gets to the LCS, it's one thing but those division series best of five's are daaangerous. Just ask Oakland fans...

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 05:31 PM

watching the Yankee Sox game right now is PAINFUL.
the umpire isn't calling ANYTHING.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 06:47 PM

I wasn't a big fan of the wild card when it started. But after seeing it in action, I'm in favor of the current wild card system. Let's face it: most of the time, the wild card is the second- or third- best team in the league. I can't remember the last time there was a wild card team who didn't deserve to be in the playoffs. The Red Sox would have finished 1st in any other AL division, and the Astros were only a game off the pace of the nearest NL division leader. Neither team is a pushover...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
watching the Yankee Sox game right now is PAINFUL.
the umpire isn't calling ANYTHING.
Why, it's not painful for me! Yet...

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Why, it's not painful for me! Yet...

Go Sox!!! I've decided that I don't hate baseball anymore.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 07:21 PM

Man, what I wouldn't do to bean Pedro right in the freaking head with a fastball. That little chicken$hit is lucky he isn't in the national league or will ever been in a world series where he would have to hit or he would catch a high heater right to the head.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2004, 08:30 PM

I can't believe they even pitch to Ortiz.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2004, 10:16 PM

Will this game ever end?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Will this game ever end?
I'd say the odds are likely yes...a "tie" would really muck things up, eh?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:23 PM

And if the Sox win, they have to travel to NY and play tomorrow night, right?

I think everyone will be praying for rain...

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 10:25 PM

Haven't read the rest of the thread but I am going to have a lot of sleepy kids in class tomorrow.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:26 PM

I'd say the odds are likely yes...a "tie" would really muck things up, eh?
I don't know... is Bud in attendance? What happens when the AL All Sta... err... the Yankees run out of pitchers?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2004, 10:31 PM

This Sox-Yankees series is wild. Too bad the Sox have so much history working against them, I'd like to see this go 7.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2004, 10:59 PM

Bottom of the 14th, 2 on, 2 out, 2-2 count. No pressure!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 11:02 PM

Wow. That Ortiz guy is having quite a post-season...

Wow. do you think the Sox will be pumped up for Tomorrow's game now?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 11:03 PM

Ortiz vs. Beltran in the post-season? Hmm...

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 11:04 PM

Woo hoo! Go Sox!

That was a damn long game...

dreilly1
Mac Elite

Could be the first time that a World Series features a Home Run Derby...

Ghoser777
Professional Poster

I ask again, why do they pitch to him? (Not that I want them to stop...)

Longest playoff game ever (time wise).... crazy.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
I ask again, why do they pitch to him? (Not that I want them to stop...)
It's because people think they're really pitching to Mo Vaughn...

Ok, it's time to go to bed now. No matter how many posts I make in this thread, I can't catch up to gorickeymanofsteal, anyway.

edit: geez, now I have to wait until the end of the 9th in the other game. this is why I'm so sleepy at wotk in October...
( Last edited by dreilly1; Oct 18, 2004 at 11:15 PM. )

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 11:29 PM

let's hope they start tomorrow's game at noon so we can catch up on our sleep

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 11:30 PM

Ortiz and Beltran... wow!

But who'd have thought, I watched Jeff Kent on the Giants for years and I could've sworn he was gonna GIDP

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2004, 11:55 PM

See I want the Sox to win. So badly.
But they're ****ing me up with the late inning wins. They need to get it done early or not at all.
How's someone supposed to get a midterm essay done around here?
haven't had a good sleep in days!

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 01:56 AM

Don't give up on Albert Pujols!

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 01:59 AM

Here's a short video of the crowd celebrating taken with my K700. You have to download it before viewing in QT.

Go Astros!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2004, 08:11 AM

Remember 2001 World Series...

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2004, 09:56 PM

Looks like little MIa learned somewhere along the way what Bartman didn't.
Good call.

Pleeeease let this go to 7, I just want to see NY lose.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

wolfen
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 10:12 PM

I'm going to bed. If the Red Sox win tonite, I hope I don't wake up.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 10:41 PM

Not a good sign.

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 11:21 PM

That was not a nice ting to do.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2004, 11:21 PM

Yank's like to cheat I guess.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 11:22 PM

good refs and now it is raining balls.

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2004, 11:24 PM

Yankees breaking the rules and getting caught, then whining about getting caught...Buncha' overpaid babies.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 11:26 PM

I didn't think anything could top last years' ALCS and series, but this series keeps getting better and better... Definitely one to remember.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
Yankees breaking the rules and getting caught, then whining about getting caught...Buncha' overpaid babies.
And it's not just any Yankee, but A-Rod.... I'm sure some Red Sox fans see some poetic justice in that.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 11:30 PM

i bet tomorrow's game will have the highest ratings ever...er...if a game 7 is needed

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 11:42 PM

Such bad manners those fans have. Hey can they call the game because of raining debris?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 11:54 PM

Speaking as someone born and raised in NYC, I'm embarassed that New York fans don't know how to comport themselves.

But speaking as someone who's had to deal with annoying, over-confident Yankee fans for years, I don't think anyone should be suprised.

And yes, they can call the game due to raining debris, and call it a forfeit by the home team...

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2004, 12:09 AM

I BELIEVE!!! Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 12:11 AM

It's official... "Foulke" is now a four-letter word in the Bronx.

And congrats to the Red Sox. Win or lose tomorrow, they've already made history!

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 12:12 AM

Beautiful, can't wait for game 7. Very exciting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules