Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G announced - Thinner, metal buttons, better audio, black plastic back, GPS

iPhone 3G announced - Thinner, metal buttons, better audio, black plastic back, GPS (Page 4)
Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Yet another n00b question from sek...

To make use of WiFi do I need a WiFi card (100$ from sonnet) or would any old wireless router do?
Any wireless router should do.

Well, a few reports of incompatibilities exist, but most should work fine.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 01:11 PM

Any old wireless router.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 03:17 PM

Here's a good article for the common iPhone 3G questions:
iPhone 3G: everything you ever wanted to know (but were afraid to ask) - Engadget

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Except for the camera cover constantly sliding open and draining the battery while you carry it in your pocket.
Heh, thankfully I never had that problem.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 05:02 PM

Apple iPhone 3G (8GB/16GB) | iLounge

Its front is almost exactly the same as the original model’s, now with an array of three sensors (two proximity sensors, one ambient light sensor) in a J shape to the left of the ear speaker [Ed note: The old one had 1 proximity sensor and 1 light sensor], and a wider black frame around its 3.5” touchscreen. Whereas the previous iPhone was narrower than a full-sized iPod, iPod classic or iPod touch, the iPhone 3G is now the same 2.4” width, and slightly taller than the iPod touch and classic at 4.5” versus 4.3” and 4.1”. The 0.48” depth is thicker than the touch (0.31"), 80GB classic (0.41"), and original iPhone (0.46") but thinner than the 160GB classic (0.53"), and tapered at the sides for the appearance of thinness. At 4.7 ounces, it weighs more than iPod touch (4.2), but less than the iPod classic (4.9-5.7 oz.).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Any wireless router should do.

Well, a few reports of incompatibilities exist, but most should work fine.
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Any old wireless router.
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Here's a good article for the common iPhone 3G questions:
iPhone 3G: everything you ever wanted to know (but were afraid to ask) - Engadget
Thank you all! Helpful answers all around.

Now I can get excited for July 11th without having a myriad of unanswered problems floating around in my head.

Seems as if most positive-reviewed wireless routers (on newegg) are around the same price as the aforementioned WiFi PCI card...hmm at least I get to think about it for a while.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 06:23 PM

I'm currently using a DSL router that had built-in 802.11g support. It was a cheap refurb - $25 - and it worked fine when my friend with a prev-gen iPhone visited.

IOW, I would suggest getting a cheap but reasonably reviewed router and try that first.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Max price for the phone will be $199 anywhere, so that's only £101 - even without a subsidy I'm on that so fast!!!!
Pre-VAT price. Add on 17% VAT on top of that.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Max price for the phone will be $199 anywhere, so that's only £101 - even without a subsidy I'm on that so fast!!!!
Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Pre-VAT price. Add on 17% VAT on top of that.
8GB is £99 or free, 16GB is £159, £59 or free. The £35 contract seems like the sweet spot , it will be on pre-paid 'Pay & Go' too.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I think the point also is that back when the RAZR came out it was a luxury item as it cost almost $1000 a phone. ...
It was $600 at intro. Hardly almost $1000. I know. I bought one.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
... they're at least 11,000 miles away...
22,233 miles to be precise.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
22,233 miles to be precise.
No, GPS satellites are in "half-synchronous" orbits at approximately 11,000 miles in altitude. This means that they orbit twice daily, providing for (this is important) a changing visible constellation of satellites over every point on the globe. Since the satellites move over your position, you get more useful distance data than if they were always overhead. In fact, the optimum position for localizing services is AT the horizon. With four satellites at different spots on your horizon, you can get very accurate longitude, latitude, altitude and time data.

TheWiki article on GPS is quite informative and accurate. I use "11,000 miles" to split the difference between the statute and nautical mile representations of the birds' altitudes (12,600 and 10,900 respectively).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
No, GPS satellites are in "half-synchronous" orbits at approximately 11,000 miles in altitude. This means that they orbit twice daily, providing for (this is important) a changing visible constellation of satellites over every point on the globe. Since the satellites move over your position, you get more useful distance data than if they were always overhead. In fact, the optimum position for localizing services is AT the horizon. With four satellites at different spots on your horizon, you can get very accurate longitude, latitude, altitude and time data.

TheWiki article on GPS is quite informative and accurate. I use "11,000 miles" to split the difference between the statute and nautical mile representations of the birds' altitudes (12,600 and 10,900 respectively).
Well thanks for the correction to my "correction". I've learned something new today.

I was thinking of DirecTV, et. al. satellites. Those have to be in true geosynchronous orbit.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Well thanks for the correction to my "correction". I've learned something new today.

I was thinking of DirecTV, et. al. satellites. Those have to be in true geosynchronous orbit.
Yep, you aim your stationary, very directional antenna at the stationary (pretty much) satellite to get that sort of signal. GPS is a truly "broadcast" system, so your receiver's antenna is not all that directional (it's got usually about a 150˚ signal acceptance angle—basically anything "up" from you gets picked up) and it accepts signals from all over the place.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 12:55 PM

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 01:23 PM

globeandmail.com: Rogers to unveil new data plan with iPhone

Although the iPhone has been extremely popular in the United States, analysts say the success of Apple's smart phone in Canada will depend on whether Rogers introduces flat-rate monthly data plans for consumers.

“A lot of people have been concerned about pricing,” Mr. Mohamed said in a presentation to the Canadian Telecom Summit on Monday.

While the carrier is keeping quiet about specific pricing packages, Mr. Mohamed said Rogers will change its prices to be more flexible.

“You will see more value in our pricing as we go forward,” he said.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 04:26 PM

I wish it worked with ipod camera connector or had SD card slot to enable viewing movies or pictures when on vacation. When we were in Australia last year I used a different SD card every day, copied to CD and mailed home as well as uploaded all pictures and videos. I did not want to take chances on loosing more than a day's worth of memories. The touch or iPhone is an excellent viewing platform, but Apple has made it almost impossible to use without a computer!

They are missing a big market!
The old camera connector worked with older 60GB ipod, but they dropped it in all the newer ones! They are worried about copy protection too much!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
I wish it worked with ipod camera connector or had SD card slot to enable viewing movies or pictures when on vacation. When we were in Australia last year I used a different SD card every day, copied to CD and mailed home as well as uploaded all pictures and videos. I did not want to take chances on loosing more than a day's worth of memories. The touch or iPhone is an excellent viewing platform, but Apple has made it almost impossible to use without a computer!

They are missing a big market!
The old camera connector worked with older 60GB ipod, but they dropped it in all the newer ones! They are worried about copy protection too much!
No, it had absolutely nothing to do with copy protection. Images in a camera are almost never going to be infringing on some copyright.

It actually had to do with the fact that the damn thing was not just slow but ****ING MOLASSES, ate iPod battery like Oreos, and hardly ever sold.

There was NOT a "big market" for that thing. Especially since everybody and their kids realized that iPods are anything BUT "safe storage".

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2008, 09:22 PM

Rogers iPhone information: activation, data plans, sign-up process, etc. - ehMac.ca

ie. Very similar to AT&T pricing, except a 3-year commitment is mandatory. So, for $30 a month for a mandatory data plan, as well as that 3-year commitment at that price, I'm a bit less keen on getting the 3G iPhone. However, I will likely still cave. It's a good deal, but it's just that it still ends up being $360 a year.

BTW, what does this mean?

"If the customer cancels service after 30 days, they will be charged the ECF and DECF. The customer is not required to return the device to cancel after 30 days."

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2008, 09:35 PM

It means the phone is yours but you still have to pay the company to get out.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2008, 03:05 PM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 04:30 PM

And as said in the other thread, that phone doesn't look like an iPhone to me. Camera placement is wrong.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2008, 04:43 PM

Yep. Looks like a blackberry to me.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2008, 10:17 PM

Could be a Blackberry, but somehow it doesn't really look like right for the Blackberry Curve either.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by aftering View Post
i noticed that iphone 3g cases have already on stores, though itself hasn't been launched now...
I'maspammerandwantyoutoclick

just like the situation when iphone was first announced last year. we will soon see more and more iphone 3g accessories come out…
Love Spam™ in the morning.

azman_821009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2008, 02:15 AM

I was thinking the 2nd generation of iPhone 3G is more powerful than before. No flash camera on the back? No 3G camera? No Optional MD-Card slot, Memory Stick slot? Higher storage still only 16gb?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 02:56 AM

What the heck is a 3G camera?

16 GB is too limited I'll give you that.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2008, 11:14 AM

How does iCal / Address Book sync'ing work? Would it be simple to sync both my home computers (Intel iMac + MacBook) and my work computer (G4 iMac) using the iPhone?

I don't want to sync Mail though, and I WON'T be getting MobileMe.

I can just do all this over Bluetooth right?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2008, 02:51 PM

I was always under the impression that the iPhone never does any syncing through Bluetooth. It's either via iTunes/USB cable, or, if you get MobileMe, via push over the internet.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I was always under the impression that the iPhone never does any syncing through Bluetooth. It's either via iTunes/USB cable, or, if you get MobileMe, via push over the internet.
Can others confirm this?

That not a deal killer of course, but annoying nonetheless. (I sync my Sony Ericsson phone through Bluetooth on the Mac.)

I can understand not syncing music through Bluetooth, but Bluetooth is perfect for Address Book and iCal.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2008, 03:52 PM

Yes. Slugslugslug is correct. USB or OTA via MobileMe or ActiveSync.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2008, 04:03 PM

Wow. Apple's attitude toward BT on the iPhone is beyond retarded. Still no BT audio, no BT sync, no BT file transfer.

The absence of BT on the iTouch is even more bizarre. I still have a Palm Tungsten kicking around. With it, I can use the Palm dialer app to dial my cell phone via BT -- the iTouch should have been able to do this too.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2008, 04:16 PM

I can see not having BT on an iPod touch but yeah, BT on the iPhone is limited at best. Love to have a set of BT headphones to take calls with and listen to my music with.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Wow. Apple's attitude toward BT on the iPhone is beyond retarded. Still no BT audio, no BT sync, no BT file transfer.
Ya nothing beats syncing 16 gigs over Bluetooth when sitting within 10 feet of the computer anyway. By the time you are done you'll have to plug it in to recharge it and it will be a week later.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 04:46 PM

I would like contact syncing over bluetooth, though. In fact, if they just enabled syncing minus audio/video I'd be happy.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2008, 04:49 PM

Ya nothing beats syncing 16 gigs over Bluetooth when sitting within 10 feet of the computer anyway. By the time you are done you'll have to plug it in to recharge it and it will be a week later.
That is incorrect. I sync iCal and Address Book with my current phone sometimes and it's quite quick over Bluetooth, because the amount of data transferred is quite low actually. The battery indicator doesn't even budge.

It's just a matter of convenience, and the bonus not having to buy additional iPhone USB cables for my secondary computers. I would still need the USB cable for my primary computer of course, for charging, music, and maybe mail too (although mail syncing doesn't necessarily need much data either, unless you're syncing all the attachments as well).

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2008, 05:23 PM

Quit trolling. We're obviously taking about contact/calendar syncing.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2008, 05:42 PM

With mobileme and the cloud syncing, I doubt very much that Apple is going to do anything to make other ways, such as BT syncing, any easier.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2008, 10:32 PM

The lineups have begun.

Hoax, or just stupidity?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 4, 2008, 10:54 PM

I'm going with stupidity, even though it's New York.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2008, 03:38 AM

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2008, 02:26 PM

How to replace an original iPhone with an iPhone 3G

This article explains how to replace an original iPhone with an iPhone 3G using the same carrier. If you follow these steps to backup your original iPhone first, and then restore the backup to your iPhone 3G, your saved SMS messages, email accounts, photos, notes, and other personal settings will be present on your iPhone 3G.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2008, 08:38 PM

Does the iPhone (current model or 3G) see shared iTunes libraries over wifi?

Also, does iTunes on the iPhone see the iTunes radio stations (the radio tab)?

At least one of the two would be groovy.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by GuyWithACamera View Post
Does the iPhone (current model or 3G) see shared iTunes libraries over wifi?

At least one of the two would be groovy.
1. No
2. No

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by GuyWithACamera View Post
There are a couple of nice iphone sites that do streaming of web stations. Seeqpod and flytunes are the ones I use.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2008, 11:51 AM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 12:32 PM

Those arrogant punks! How dare they tease us with unboxing picks this early!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 12:40 PM

Aaaaaaand...he's got smudges already. Maybe the white would be better....
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2008, 01:08 PM

Another pic:

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?i...2008009ne8.jpg

iPhone display:

iPhone 3G SIM card removal tool.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2008, 01:18 PM

Somebody needs to wash their hands. That thing is a mess.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules