Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G announced - Thinner, metal buttons, better audio, black plastic back, GPS

iPhone 3G announced - Thinner, metal buttons, better audio, black plastic back, GPS (Page 5)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That is incorrect. I sync iCal and Address Book with my current phone sometimes and it's quite quick over Bluetooth, because the amount of data transferred is quite low actually. The battery indicator doesn't even budge.
Ok sorry I assumed that when I said 16 gigs you knew I wasn't talking about a calendar

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ok sorry I assumed that when I said 16 gigs you knew I wasn't talking about a calendar
Of course. However, nonetheless your post was quite misleading and others may not understand.

The bottom line is that calendar information - something that you'd want to update every day - is very quickly sync'd over Bluetooth. I don't sync music every day. However, it's all moot, because Apple left that feature out for some unknown reason.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 05:06 PM

Of course. However, nonetheless your post was quite misleading and others may not understand.

The bottom line is that calendar information - something that you'd want to update every day - is very quickly sync'd over Bluetooth. I don't sync music every day. However, it's all moot, because Apple left that feature out for some unknown reason.
Well I am not saying it is bad to have it but I don't see that big of a need. If you are sitting in front of a computer not much wrong with sticking it in that nice little dock in front of you and doing it all faster and not just bits and pieces and confuse people.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 09:11 PM

That came up weeks ago. Apple is said to be releasing a free iTunes remote controller app upon opening the app store.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2008, 11:15 PM

Yes, I know. However, I hadn't seen the actual iTunes settings for it. Maybe I just missed it though.

BTW, here are some reviews. (Remember, bugmenot.com is your friend.)

Walt Mossberg

If you’ve been waiting to buy an iPhone until it dropped in price, or ran on faster cell networks, you might want to take the plunge, if you can live with the higher service costs and the weaker battery life. The same goes for those with existing iPhones who love the device but crave faster cellular data speeds. But if you already own an iPhone, and can usually use Wi-Fi for data, you probably should hold off and get the free software upgrade before deciding whether it’s worth getting the new hardware.

Edward C. Baig

Extra, extra: iPhone 3G: The Sequel, is worth the wait.
It's cheaper, faster and a lot friendlier for business. Apple's blockbuster smartphone already had nifty features such as visual voicemail, a splendid built-in video iPod and the best mobile Web browser I've ever used. With GPS newly added to the mix, this handheld marvel has no equal among consumer-oriented smartphones.

I reach that verdict after having tested the new iPhone for more than two weeks.

David Pogue

In short, the iPhone is about to become much more than a phone. And here’s the best part: the App Store is also available to the original iPhones and the iPod Touch.

So the iPhone 3G is a nice upgrade. It more than keeps pace with advancing technology, and new buyers will generally be delighted.

But it’s not so much better that it turns all those original iPhones into has-beens. Indeed, the really big deal is the iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store, neither of which requires buying a new iPhone. That twist may come as a refreshing surprise to planned-obsolescence conspiracy theorists — and everyone who stood in line last year.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 01:15 AM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 01:57 AM

Kinda silly to offer GPS without turn-by-turn options. But I still say there'll be something from the App store to cover it. I hope so, at least.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 11:22 AM

Disassembly pics

Battery is no longer soldered. Both previous boards have been merged to one.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Disassembly pics

Battery is no longer soldered. Both previous boards have been merged to one.
Doesn't any of that benefit us in any way?

moep
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 03:57 PM

I guess it's still not user-replaceable but a lot easier to replace if you have no other option.
Same goes for the display which is no longer glued to the glass.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

The new iPhone is easier to take apart and its battery is easier to replace than on the first iPhone. Now which part of that of worthy of complaining?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 05:15 PM

Doesn't any of that benefit us in any way?
Whadya mean? I've tossed off to that 4 times already!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 09:35 PM

I just ordered the Best Skins Ever for the iPhone 3G. It's available now, and they have a 25% off deal until Tues. It's also free shipping if you order 3, but their shipping is very cheap anyway so I didn't.
( Last edited by Eug; Jul 10, 2008 at 09:44 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 02:26 AM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The new iPhone is easier to take apart and its battery is easier to replace than on the first iPhone. Now which part of that of worthy of complaining?
Less durable?

Plus if any of us needed to replace either I am willing to bet the store does it for you anyway.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2008, 02:56 PM

I went into an O2 store yesterday and played with a display model. The new shape of the back is nice in the hand, from what I could tell because there was a security tether stuck to the back of it. Tried a few things out like taking a screenshot, and GPS maps, it found where I was from inside the store, and I tried out a search for 'cafe' and it gave quite a few contacts. App and iTunes store wouldn't connect but it went to the website of one of the cafes on the search. Good to know there is a contact book icon on the home screen now instead of inside the phone app. All in all I walked away impressed with it, I'd had quick plays with the original iPhone in the stores, but never had a good look around it.

I can't think of any other phones around that I'd want to have instead, I tried out a C902, but the keypad buttons are way too small for me. I wouldn't have an N95 because a few friends have had handsets go wrong or just fall apart on them. Viewty is still a maybe, and the Samsung F480 too. But none of those have wifi.

I just did a search on gsmarena.com phone finder, filtered to the UK network bands, 2MP camera, bluetooth, wifi and MP3. Apart from the iPhone, the results are the high end Nokia and SE, Windows Mobile PDA phones and a few Samsungs. A few of them like the Xperia and HTC touch phones are going after Apple. But none of them are iPhones .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2008, 04:19 PM

Less durable?
One word: FUD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules