Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WIFI in the USA

WIFI in the USA
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2004, 07:45 AM

Hello. I will be soon coming to San Francisco and Las Vegas with my PowerBook 12 (airport equiped). Are there places where I can check my e-mails for free ? Apple Stores ?

Of course I saw McDonald's and Starbuks, but it seems to be a little expensive just to check emails during 5-10 minutes.

Second part of the question:
1- Do you have experience with hotspots ? What's your favorite place ? How much do you pay ?
2- How does it work concretely ? Does the PB detect the network automatically ? And then ?
3- How do you feel using your PowerBook in a public place ? Are people staring at you ? ;-)
4- What about security ?

Thank you
S k y p a t

toshigen
Mar 15, 2004, 10:15 AM

This may help some, although it doesn't seem to list what the wifi locations charge:

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 10:25 AM

Quick search on google found this:

free wifi cafes in sf

Adopt-A-Yankee

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by paully dub:
Quick search on google found this:

free wifi cafes in sf
It's over a year old, but it's a place to start...

Adopt-A-Yankee

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the links.
No one has personnal experience to share ?
S k y p a t

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 01:17 PM

It really depends on the location. There are fair number of coffee bars out there that just have free wi-fi, but there are also a fair numeber that are pay-based. (and usually pretty expensive)

Technically, I've never had a problem with any hotspots. You typically just turn airport on and it gets an IP, and you're set.

I think in any major city, you'll be able to find a cybercafe. Steer clear of starbucks..they're eeeeevil.

And there's always MacStumbler.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 03:33 PM

Thanks. And what about Apple Stores ? Is it possible to connect there wirelessly for free ?
S k y p a t

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2004, 07:55 PM

I visit California for weeks at a time. I just pay 40 bucks for a whole month of wifi at Starbucks and use that. That may sound expensive but it's definitely worth it. If you're the only one there with a laptop (which is most of the time) then you got your very own T1 connection! And it's also unrestricted so they don't slow down Kazaa and BitTorrent.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 10:05 PM

I've stopped in to debug things at apple stores and don't remember needing a password, so you can prob also use their airport networks.

ALSO:
Most Kinko's have LapTop stations with an ethernet cable hanging loose. (Tho with one new Kinko's I had to bring my own ethernet cable). Can't beat that for connection speed.
PS: Some of the laptop stations have only cables labeled "for PC" and an empty hole for "Mac" -- but ethernet internet connection is internet connection.
(Please don't tell everybody, I want a station free when *I* am in town )
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by Skypat:

4- What about security ?

Well, quite simply, there isn't any. Unless you are running a vpn or accessing ssl sites, everything is going through the airwaves as clear text. Unless you are using web based email, checking your email will send your password out and about as clear text.

I love free wifi. When there, I just make it a point to shut down my mail, iChat, newsbrowser, and surf only to sites where none of my personal info goes out.

Or you can try www.hotspotvpn.com Cool concept but I don't use enough open wifi to make it worth while. Maybe when I'm going to travel in Europe for a bit, I'll subscribe.

Good luck and enjoy the City.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules