Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Improper restart and shut down behavior

Improper restart and shut down behavior
fbroz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2000, 08:21 PM

I have a 333mhz iMac with 96 megs of RAM running OS 9. My problem is that since a few days ago my iMac has not responded properly when I try to restart it or shut it down. Once I select restart or shut down, the finder starts to quit... the icons disappear, but then things stops. I can force quit the finder but this freezes the computer. I can use apple + option + shift + pwr to cut the power, but this is a workaround, not a fix. The only thing that I can think of that would have caused my problem is that a few days ago I downloaded and ran what was apparently a crack of 9.0.4 updater. I have since done a clean reinstall of the OS and there is no sign of the file "PowerPC Enabler 9.0.4" but the problem remains.

Any Suggestions? I have not been able to find this problem elsewhere in the forums, and it is driving me nutz!

------------------
--
Frank
--
Frank

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2000, 10:20 PM

When you did a clean install of the system, did you move preferences from the old system to the new or did you start with fresh prefs?

It sounds like the finder prefs need to be trashed again. If that doesn't work, I'd zap the PRAM.

fbroz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2000, 11:41 PM

good call, i did use the old preferences... I think I have found the culprit elsewhere though. I am having some other problems with my Zip 100 and I found that when I insert the disk (it doesn't nessicarily show up on the desktop) the iMac restarts and shuts down normaly. hmmm...

------------------
--
Frank
--
Frank

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2000, 11:51 PM

it seems that most users have best luck with zip drives if they use only the iomega driver supplied by Apple in MacOS...

Forum Links
Forum Rules