Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Adding a second Ethernet card

Adding a second Ethernet card
fbroz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2000, 06:25 PM

I remember reading about people adding a second ethernet card to their macs (mine is a G4 450 AGP) but I can't get it to work. If I understand it right, a new selection should show up in the TCP/IP control panel, but it doesn't. Is there something I need to do to get the mac to detect the new hardware? I had foolishly hoped that installing a second Ethernet card would be as easy as installing a second HD.
--
Frank
--
Frank

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2000, 07:31 PM

Well you need the drivers (extension(s)) for the card...once those are in it should work fine. If it doesn't, then something is wrong with the card.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2000, 01:09 AM

Yes you need to install drivers which means you cannot just install any old PCI ethernet card...you need one that comes with Mac drivers.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2000, 10:50 AM

The others are correct. I recommend the Asant� cards - they have great drivers and take all of 5 minutes to get up and running.

Scott

fbroz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2000, 11:05 AM

Yea, I suppose I will have to admit defeat. I was hoping that I would be able to find some sort of generic 3com drivers that would at least help the mac recognise the card. I was able to pick up a used 3com 10baseT for 5 bucks so it is no big loss. Maybe I will try installing the asante drivers and see if they do anything at all.
--
Frank

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2000, 11:23 AM

Don't give up hope yet. If you know the manufacturer, you might want to ask them if they have a Mac version of their driver. Its a long shot, but it may be worth it. You could also ask them if they know anyone who's had a hack for their product.

Since its 3Com, you may just find something out in the net. May I know what exact model you have?

fbroz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2000, 12:19 PM

Yea, if you have any leads they would be much appreciated... it is an Etherlink lll PCI, but I couldn't find any kind of mac drivers on the 3com website.
--
Frank
--
Frank

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2000, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by fbroz:
Yea, if you have any leads they would be much appreciated... it is an Etherlink lll PCI, but I couldn't find any kind of mac drivers on the 3com website.
--
Frank
Frank, what chipset is on it? this'll be a 3cxxxx style number...
I don't know about making it work in os9, but we can darn sure get it working in osX (ahhh, the magic that is BSD!)
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

fbroz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2000, 01:40 PM

Judging from the info on the 3Com website, it is a 3c590, but I don't have the card in front of me right now. I have very little experiance in using FreeBSD, but I would be interested to know what you would have to do to get it working.
--
Frank
--
Frank

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2000, 04:54 AM

Hmm... Since its a 3Com 3C509, there're quite a number of drivers for that out there, and for different platforms. I'll see what i can find.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2000, 09:49 AM

3Com stopped supporting Mac a long time ago. It makes cards for Farallon, but Farallon's driver does not work with 3C590.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2000, 02:13 PM

Not sure if this will work but try to give it a shot:
www.mactcp.org.nz/ethernet.html.

Forum Links
Forum Rules