Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Logitech X-540 5.1 with MacBook Pro

Logitech X-540 5.1 with MacBook Pro
cbk1994
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2010, 09:57 PM

I got this system recently, and have been disappointed with not being able to use 5.1 surround sound from my MacBook Pro. It's a unibody MBP, the newest model (or very close); bought a bit over a year ago.

I did some Google searches, and it seems my only option is to get an external sound card (USB). However, there were also some things that indicated the MBP supports surround sound, but I need some kind of adapter to use it.

I'm hoping someone can give me a definitive answer on my options.

Thanks!
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2010, 10:36 PM

The Macbook Pro does support 5.1 surround sound via a mini-toslink optical cable through the headphone jack. Once you get either a mini-toslink to toslink adapter to mini-toslink to toslink optical cable, you will have two options to run 5.1 surround sound. You can either get a speaker system that supports an optical toslink input (which are typically on the expensive side, $300+) or you need to get a home theater system and that has an optical toslink input which is pretty much every single system made after 2000. Hope that helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules