Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Broken iPod...not cool.

Broken iPod...not cool.
WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 03:55 PM

I have never been pissed at Apple. Now's the first time.

So, I recharged my iPod last night, and I plugged it in this morning to sync it with itunes. Except itunes didn't start up, even though the iPod was mounted on the dekstop.

So, whatever, no worries...I go to iSync. Worries start, because it's not detecting my iPod. So, I go to ADD DEVICE, and the iPod shows up, under UNKNOWN, so I double-click the iPod icon in iSync's ADD DEVICE, and nothing happens.

No worries...I restore the iPod to factory settings. But it didn't do anything.

So, I tried the defribulator method...PLAY and MENU at the same time....all clear! The iPod starts again...and....nothing.

So, I call Apple. Turns out that the iPod is a month out of warranty. ONE MONTH. I calmly ask how much it'll cost to fix the bugger, and the rep tells me that it'll be $255. $255 to fix a $300 iPod. I told him I'd rather friggin' buy a BRAND NEW iPod for that money.

So, I talk to the guy, tell him about how I've bought 5 macs in my short time on this earth, and I currently run 3 of them all the time...and that TWO are AppleCare registered..my 1-year iBook, and my brand new iMac. And that I have .mac. And that I have iPod. And that I have every single version of OS X that Apple's ever sold in stores, including the Beta.

Doesn't seem to matter that I'm an Apple-obsessed freak, and one of their most loyal and dedicated customers ever. Nope...not at all.

So, I'm calling Customer Service later today, although I doubt anything will come of that. I honestly don't know what to do...it really, really aggrivates me that Apple won't be fixing my iPod...one month after the warranty ended.

Not cool...not cool.

Excuse me while I vent by seeing how much my iBook can fetch on eBay, so I can see what kind of PC laptop I can get.

Nah, I won't really do that.

But it still REALLY isn't cool. Not cool, Apple. Not cool.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2003, 05:20 PM

You have every right to complain that's no way to threat your loyal customers. Apple support sucks, maybe you have more luck bringing your iPod to your local mac store. My local mac reseller replaced my broken mouse and keyboard for free although warranty had expired and I had no Applecare contract or anything similar. That's the service we expect from Apple, it shouldn't matter if you have 10 macs or if you're an windows user that just bought a iPod, you deserve good support after all you pay for it, an iPod is not really cheap...

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2003, 05:38 PM

Hey,

Sorry about the predicament. As a fellow Mac freak, I understand the frustration when dealing with Apple about repairs. Although Apple has no legal responsibility to fix post-warranty items, I feel they should at least offer discounted or free service/analysis for devoted customers.

Perhaps Apple should offer a "Mac-Lover" card if the customer has purchased a certain number of Macs or software titles. Maybe the card could offer deals, discounts, and priority service to Apple's core consumers. I guess it could work like those Macy's, Banana Republic, GAP, or other credit cards - without being credit cards of course. Maybe it's a stupid idea, but I think Apple should readily offer benefits of some kind to loyal customers.

New refurbed 5GB iPods are around $200 nowadays and I saw an ad for a $250 original 10GB iPod (http://www.dealmac.com). Refurbed new 10GB iPods are around $329.

Good luck figuring out the iPod situation. You can always try to sell your iPod on eBay for parts - they sell for quite a bit sometimes.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by G-mac:
I feel they should at least offer discounted or free service/analysis for devoted customers.

Perhaps Apple should offer a "Mac-Lover" card if the customer has purchased a certain number of Macs or software titles. Maybe the card could offer deals, discounts, and priority service to Apple's core consumers. (http://www.dealmac.com). Refurbed new 10GB iPods are around $329.

Good luck figuring out the iPod situation. You can always try to sell your iPod on eBay for parts - they sell for quite a bit sometimes.
Sorry but I think that's a terrible idea, it shouldn't matter if you have one mac or ten macs, if you just switched or you always used macs from the beginning or if you are a windows user that just bought his first iPod, every user deserves the same support and service from Apple. Customer cards can only work for new purchases but NOT for service or support...
( Last edited by kovacs; Feb 2, 2003 at 05:55 AM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 07:50 PM

WAIT!

Look at this first:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61584

Try out the firewire reviving method.

I also have a similar problem:
My iPod works perfectly fine when it is
connected to the firewire connection, but
not remotely.

It sits at the Apple logo forever.

If it ends up being a $255 expense I'll probably vomit.

Leaping Gnome
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2003, 10:46 AM

No offense to you at all WinsOBoogi, but what do you expect Apple to do? It is a one year warranty. If they extend it to 13 months then everyone that has theirs break at 13 months + 1 week will complain then they extend it to 14 months and then everyone that has theirs break at 14 months + 1 week will complain, etc, etc.... they have to set a limit somewhere.

I do not think the one year warranty is bad at all, a lot better than the 90 days when the iPods first came out. Of course, I may feel different if mine broke at 13 months, but I can see where Apple is coming from.

rjc3
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2003, 12:00 PM

I agree with the Gnome.

Caveat emptor: You knew the warranty only lasted for one year when you bought the thing. WHen you paid your money, you accepted the terms of that contract. Just as it would be unreasonable for Apple to ask for more money than the agreed upon price, it is unreasonable to expect warranty service when your item is clearly out of the warranty period.

btw - I'm really sorry to hear about your iPod breaking. That sucks!

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 12:45 PM

Maybe you can sneek support in under one of your Macs that's still covered. It sounds like the iPod works fine, and iTunes and iSync are the problem. Especially if the unit mounts on the Desktop. Will your iPod sync to iTunes on any other machine?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules