Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help! Office docs password protected!

Help! Office docs password protected!
rjc3
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 06:56 PM

While living in a house full of people last year, I got into the habit of password protecting all of my word docs.
Unfortunately, now that I am living alone, I need to access a copy of my resume that is password protected and can't, for the life of me, remember the password to open the doc.
Can someone please provide a workaround so I can access the data contained in my locked word docs?
It is a microsoft product, so I assume there is some relatively easy way to bypass the password protection?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks to all in advance for their responses ans suggestions.

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 07:56 PM

When you ask Word to save a document with a "password to read", Word prompts you to re-enter the password, with the text: "Caution: If you lose or forget the password, it cannot be recovered. It is advisable to keep a list of passwords and their corresponding document names in a safe place."

Honestly, what would be the point to encrypt a document if anyone who knew some trick could read it?

Luckily for you, the encryption Microsoft used sucks (which is one reason I use OS X AES-128 encrtypted disk images for sensitive documents.) If you type "crack microsoft word password" into Google, you'll find a number of services and applications for cracking them. Several have free trial downloads. Unluckily, none of these run on a Mac (though they can crack Mac Word documents), so you'll need a PC (or Virtual PC) to use the program.

These work by trial attacks, so the process can take some time.

And you may want to avoid using Panther's file vault.
( Last edited by car1son; Dec 6, 2003 at 08:02 PM. )

rjc3  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 07:54 PM

Can anyone else provide me with some options here? There must be some way to open teh file with a text viewer like BBEdit and view the password itself? C'mon gang, I could really use some help here!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 08:14 PM

That would be a very dumb protection had it tha password stored in the document itself.

Maybe if GUI scripting works with Word you could try a brute force attack using AppleScript.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

rjc3  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 09:43 PM

I agree. It would be dumb to store password in the doc itself, but hey, this IS a microsoft product we are talking about. There MUST be some simple way to retreive the password, right? right?

rjc3  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 09:45 PM

My kingdom for a password....

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 12:17 AM

If you want you can send me the document and I'll try to get you the password.

[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules