Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Speakers

External Speakers
O97Bassist
Jan 5, 2004, 05:31 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm starting to realise that my 'book is going to be at home more than on the road and i'm a huge music junkie, so i'm interested in getting some external speakers for my iBook.
What kind of speakers do i need so they wil connect to my 'book?

What brands or specific sets of speakers do you suggest?

Will it be hard to set up the speakers and unplug them when i'm on the go?
"If You Choose Not To Deciede Then You Still Have Made A Choice" - RUSH

iBook G4 800/640/60/COMBO

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 5, 2004, 05:37 PM

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific with your requirements - your budget for a start?!

If I hadn't been given Soundsticks for Christmas last year, I'd have gone for Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Most should just plug straight into the audio/headphone jack.

Do a search in the peripherals forum - this is a very common topic.

O97Bassist  (op)
Jan 5, 2004, 05:41 PM

Thanks, sorry for the vague question and bad posting forums, I'm a newbie.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 5, 2004, 06:22 PM

No need to say sorry; it's like asking what car to buy - people are going to either recommend the car they own, or the car they'd really like - Ferrari, or whatever!

Any idea how much you want to spend? The Klipsch ones I mentioned are serious speakers, but with a serious price as a result - but they are THX certified.

O97Bassist  (op)
Jan 5, 2004, 06:43 PM

i'm really not setting a price becuase i'm one of those people who is willing to pay big prices for good things, but i'm trying to keep my cash so anywhere from 50$ to 150$ all i need is good sound and i truly don't need a sepearate bass woofer.

arclight
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2004, 07:54 PM

Those Klipsch speakers you speak of are outstanding. My brother has them and I cannot believe how great they sound.

As far as suggestions for a speaker system I would recommend exacty what you said you don't need, a satellite system. That is, two satellite speakers with a separate subwoofer. You will get a wider dynamic range if the speakers are separate from each other (low lows, high highs). They are great for games as well as itunes. Your best bet is to go to Best Buy or CompUSA and check out the systems. You can play around with them and see what sounds best and what fits your budget.

Then when you find what you like, go online and find it cheaper! Cnet has a great price finder here.
---------------------------------------

O97Bassist  (op)
Jan 5, 2004, 08:33 PM

thanks for the great help! I'm starting to feel very welcome in the mac community and never been so excited about my switch!

rjc3
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2004, 08:39 PM

I would second the suggestion to get a satelite (subwoofer and 2 small speakers) system. THey can really produce big, rich sound and you can hide the sub under the desk or coffee table and it practically disappears.

If small size and awesome sound are really important (& money not so important), the bose waveradio is one awesome little machine - about the size of a large clock radio - it produces sound rivaling component stereos that cost hundreds more and take up the better part of a manhatten apartment.

I have my bose hooked up to TV, TiVo, PS2 and iPod. It rocks! (but if you really need good bass, look for a system with subwoofer).

You should have no trouble finding a decent satelite set-up at comp-usa, bestbuy, etc for under $100. Make sure you listen to it before you buy or make sure you can take it back if unsatisfied.

cheers~!

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 12:52 AM

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...zzz&type=store

I know they look teeny, but they are the BEST speakers I have ever heard. They have GREAT bass. In fact, it drives my parents NUTS in out two story house. If you like music, get em. Just make sure you get the black finish!

rubberduck77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 07:21 PM

Even running the risk of being sneered at for pointing to not-top-of-the-line speakers, I was using Logitech Z-340's with my iBook and the sound of these $50 speakers (got them for $25 /w coupon) was IMPRESSIVE. I am no audiophile here, but they really surprised me for that price-tag.

For a few weeks I had some smaller Labtech's, but then I got the deal on the Logitech and after that some friends of mine got them as well. You sure could fill a whole apartment with decent sound. Haven't listened to any Klipsch yet (shame on me), but for a budget I really can recommend the Logitech speakers.

At home I am running Apple pro speakers and an iSub with my cube, and although they sound nice I miss the additional volume of the Logitech sometimes - one of the limitations of running them via usb.

that's my 50 cents, just to underline that decent speakers are available for under $100. Go ahead and find speakers you like at some store and then try to get them for less online. Sometimes dealmac.com is helpful (at least it was for me).
( Last edited by rubberduck77; Jan 10, 2004 at 07:32 PM. )
"If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip."

xmishx
Jan 11, 2004, 09:36 PM

I picked up a set of Monsoon Planar Media 7 Speakers. They only cost $40 but the sound is rich, deep and when needed, powerful. The speakers themselves are roughly 5 x 7 and only 3/4 inch thick. There is a subwoofer that can really overpower the lows, but a wired remote has a dial to control it, as well as volume and mute button on it as well. There is also a 1/4 female plug for headphones.

X

Forum Links
Forum Rules