Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > cookies across multiple domains

cookies across multiple domains
jon31
May 7, 2004, 06:28 PM

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me how to set a cookie with php so that it works across two of my domains. Is that even possible?

Jon
www.jmarus.com - kicks by JM

derbs
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 10:54 AM

I don't think that's possible. Would be quite a security risk. You can set cookies that work across sub-domains (like site1.mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com), but i don't think you can set a cookie to work from a totally different domain.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 01:09 PM

I think that would be a breach of the cookie protocol. I don't think it is possible.

If you are using the cookie for sessions, to go cross domain, you can pass the session ID the URL between the 2 domains.

jon31  (op)
May 8, 2004, 01:37 PM

well, it's across domains, but they are both hosted on the same server. The are essentially sub-domains, ie.. site1.mydomain.com, site2.mydomain.com. Would that help?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by jon31:
well, it's across domains, but they are both hosted on the same server. The are essentially sub-domains, ie.. site1.mydomain.com, site2.mydomain.com. Would that help?
if it is subdomains and not multiple domains (I am getting confused because you say across domains but in your example both are the same domain) if you set the cookie domain to "mydomain.com" and cookie path to "/", the cookies should be accessible to both subdomains from any path on the sites.

if using PHP you can do something like this where you want to set the cookie:
setcookie(string name, string value, int expire, string path, string domain, int secure);

so your example with a cookie lifetime of 60 days (lifetime is in seconds):
[php]
setcookie('cookie_name', 'cookie_value', 5184000, '/', 'mydomain.com', 0);
[/php]

jon31  (op)
May 8, 2004, 02:08 PM

Sorry to be confusing. I have 3 domains, one is my main domain, the other's are add-on domains to my account.

So, my main domain is jmarus.com, but I have two domains that are addons, that just point to different directories of jmarus.com.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2004, 02:11 PM

Sorry to be confusing. I have 3 domains, one is my main domain, the other's are add-on domains to my account.

So, my main domain is jmarus.com, but I have two domains that are addons, that just point to different directories of jmarus.com.
Ok, but cookies are domain based and not server or directory path based (though they can be restricted to paths but again this is based on domain and not server path)...

again, multiple domains cannot share cookies. subdomains can. If you made your add-on domains subdomains of your main domain, then they could share cookies, but as separate domains they cannot.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 12:57 PM

If your other domains are sub-domains, such as images.jmarus.com and files.jmarus.com, yes, the code shown above will work. If they are not in the jmarus.com domain, it's not possible...
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2004, 01:19 PM

If you set document.domain to "jmarus.com" before setting any cookies (doing it at the beginning of the script is fine), then it should work.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
If you set document.domain to "jmarus.com" before setting any cookies (doing it at the beginning of the script is fine), then it should work.
many browsers now come setup by default to only accept cookies from sites you navigate to, or if a site attempts to give you a different cookie than the current domain, some throw a security warning.

You could also set with php the cookie.domain value, but with either of these, how would the browser interpret it? I do not know, but I think it would see it as an "outside" cookie, one from a domain you did not navigate to, which many now block by default or warn against. But I honestly don't know how a browser would handle setting the cookie domain to one other than the domain navigated to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules