Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Aperture to iPhoto 6?

Aperture to iPhoto 6?
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 04:58 AM

I've been using Aperture for a few weeks now, but this being a PowerBook, and my photos being 8 MP RAW files, it runs wild slow, and doesn't seem to offer me much in exchange for the speed hit.

So I'm thinking of getting the new iLife suite, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the procedure is like converting an Aperture library to an iPhoto 6 library. Will iPhoto import my stuff? Will I have to manually export all of it?

hollowflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 09:20 AM

Not positive, but I don't think iPhoto supports RAW files...

hollowflame
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 09:22 AM

Sorry for the double post!
( Last edited by hollowflame; Jan 12, 2006 at 09:23 AM. Reason: double post)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2006, 10:25 AM

iPhoto does indeed support RAW-files and have for quite some time.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 10:59 AM

iPhoto does indeed support RAW and I believe RAW conversion is done by the OS and not by the application.

A good question and one that I posed at dpreview.com. What benefit does Apeture give you over iPhoto, especially since iPhoto can handle large volumes of images.

Here's some of the features that I see that Aperture has that iPhoto doesn't (correct me of I'm wrong as I haven't used iPhoto in a few versions).

Biggest one is non destructive editing.
Another is more book printing options.
Light table organization
More flexible Web gallerly/web journal options.
Maybe more flexible keyword assignment
Maybe better image editting capabilities.

I'm using Aperture and overall I'm happy with it. Yes it has bogged down on me, but if I quit and restart it, that seems to take care of the issues. Running on a dual G5 2.GHz with 2.5 Gig of ram certainly hasn't hurt the performance either, so I may not be getting the slow downs others have.

I think Aperture is a great application that will only improve in time. iPhoto has a few years under its belt so the teething problems are behind it. Not so with Aperture, I believe we will see speed and feature enhancements as time goes on. Perhaps Apple rushed this out the door a little too soon but overall I think the app is fine [for me].

Mike

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 02:37 PM

But will iPhoto easily import Aperture's library the way Aperture did iPhoto's?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 02:40 PM

No, I don't believe so, Aperture is Apple's Pro photography application while iPhoto is the consumer's app. Why would apple create a migration plan from pro to consumer.

I'm sure you can manually/applescript/automator script add them but there's no way for iphoto to take them in.

Mike

wreising
Jan 12, 2006, 02:45 PM

I'll be interested to see how I will be able to move files from Aperture to iPhoto 6 so I can use them with iWeb and Photocasting.

Maybe a bit of AppleScripting is in order.
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 02:50 PM

have you seen Lightroom from Adobe/Macromedia - http://labs.macromedia.com/technologies/lightroom/

It's not as fast as Adobe Bridge when using it as a image viewer, but it's only a Beta at the moment and looks like it could be good.

--
While searching for the above link i found this site, i haven't d/l the demo yet, but looks interesting http://www.lightboxsoftware.com/

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 06:54 PM

No, I don't believe so, Aperture is Apple's Pro photography application while iPhoto is the consumer's app. Why would apple create a migration plan from pro to consumer.

I'm sure you can manually/applescript/automator script add them but there's no way for iphoto to take them in.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules