Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Massive Bolus of 'Recovered Mail' On My Hard Disk

Massive Bolus of 'Recovered Mail' On My Hard Disk
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2011, 10:27 AM

Hey all, it's been a while. I was scolded at the genius bar recently for having such an overloaded hard disk. I'm a filmmaker, and while I don't use my boot drive as a scratch disk, it does find a way of filling up with ancillary media like photoshop files and music and stuff, so I hadn't really though much about the fact that my MBP, which has a 750 GB hard drive in it, was down to its last 3 GB of free space.

So I did some sleuthing and used Disk Inventory X to discover that well over half of my hard drive was taken up by email. WTF, right?

So I figured out how to get to these files despite the Library folder now being hidden (really, Apple?) and did a few trials of having the biggest offender, a 'Recovered Mail' folder in one of my GMail accounts, in the trash. I quit and restarted Mail and it seemed to be fine. I restarted the computer and Mail worked fine, so I deleted the folder.

It seems like things are going good. My question is what the hell was that folder, and how can I prevent that from happening in the future?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2011, 12:31 AM

I'd guess a bit of filesystem corruption.

Forum Links
Forum Rules