Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > signs (the movie)

signs (the movie)
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2002, 05:35 PM

it pretty much sucked. lots of "boring" with small pieces of "jump out and frighten" b-horror scare tactics and brief moments of "comic relief" which are about the only moments of "character development". unfortunately theres not really enough to develop any sense of caring for these characters and the movie to me feels like it drags and drags until the finale which is just so goddamned contrived its almost sickening. maybe it was his purpose to make it so contrived? who knows. ugh.

it seems like shyamalan (sp?) keeps trying to reachieve that same effect he achieved (quite nicely i might add) in sixth sense with signs and unbreakable, but fails. even without sixth sense to try and live up to neither movie stands very well on their own.

anyone else?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2002, 05:45 PM

I thought this movie was very entertaining, pretty good.

Very well edited, put together, and overall a very cohesive piece. Even the critics are agreeing that this was a good movie, which is pretty rare.

I must say I have not seen either the Sixth Sense (I know...) or Unbreakable, so this is my first exposure to M. Night Shymalan's work... but I was impressed!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2002, 05:51 PM

I haven't seen Signs yet, but I'm a big fan of Unbreakable. (I also really liked Sixth Sense too). I thought Unbreakable and way it dealt with the comic book genre was genius. Almost every shot in that film was as if it was taken directly from a comic book frame.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Signs. I have heard mostly good things.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2002, 06:29 PM

Signs was great! I loved the persepective they put on the whole situation... from the view of Mel and his family.

It was well editied and great!

I love that the director was in it too

-Owl

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2002, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
I love that the director was in it too

-Owl
He's been in all 3 of his movies, I think. I know he was the doctor who examined Bruce Willis' character in the beginning of Unbreakable. I think he played a doctor in Sixth Sense too, but I'm not certain. He's doing the Hitchcock thing by appearing in his films (he's been compared to Hitchcock quite a bit).

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 07:12 PM

Gah. I saw it this weekend, and hated it.

There were too many holes, and not enough story.
That said, the visual style and overall production was awesome.

::::Spoiler:::::

Why the hell would aliens who die when exposed to water even think about attacking a planet that is 75% water?????

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2002, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:

::::Spoiler:::::

Why the hell would aliens who die when exposed to water even think about attacking a planet that is 75% water?????

Perhaps the were just passing by and stopped for a snack of humans. Or they REALLY wanted us for some reason. Look at the lenghs we go through to get to the moon even though the whole damn rock would kill us in every way.

Also, they were not after people in boats, they were after people on land. Duh.

I liked the movie, I was just upset that I didn't get as scared as I thought I would.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CreamyAcorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2002, 11:15 PM

I actually just came back from watching it with my gf.

I thought the characters were really enjoyable, and the little girl was simply adorable. As mentioned, the comic relief, even during tight situations, was welcome.

Aside from that aspect, the situation in which they are placed is just like any other bad alien invasion movie. I mean, c'mon, water?

Do you suppose the invasion was postponed due to rain in some parts of the world? I hope they packed those umbrellas! And which one of them aliens had the bright idea to prance around naked on a mostly humid planet? They travel thousands of light years and they forget the environmental suits. What's alien for "D'oh!", anybody?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 05:13 AM

wasn't shalaman also the drug dealer at the stadium?

The difference (between shalaman and hitchcock) is that shalaman gives himself talking parts, and with hitchcock it was like he walks by the camera. Or am I wrong about that? I know in vertigo, he didn't have any talking parts.

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:

Perhaps the were just passing by and stopped for a snack of humans. Or they REALLY wanted us for some reason. Look at the lenghs we go through to get to the moon even though the whole damn rock would kill us in every way.

Also, they were not after people in boats, they were after people on land. Duh.

I liked the movie, I was just upset that I didn't get as scared as I thought I would.
********spoiler*********
couldn't be a snack, our blood and body is mostly water, so eating us would make them die. the water vapor in our breath could give 'em a good burn, much less the atomosphere - where were the space suits. water is life on this planet, stupid aliens.

i liked the movie up until the ending which was a goofy hollywood ending IMHO. i think he should have ended it when they went to open the cellar door.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 05:49 PM

Just saw the movie. I thought it was great, but I think I need to see it again to figure some stuff out. I have a few questions for those who have seen it, though:

Were the aliens just killing people, or were they abducting them after they gassed them?

Why did the alien poison the boy in the last scene? And why didn't he fight back after the emperor from Gladiator started kicking the shyt out of him?

Also, M. Night Shyamalan always throws little secrets and stuff into his movies. Are there any in Signs that anyone caught?

--Chris

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Aug 16, 2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Just saw the movie. I thought it was great, but I think I need to see it again to figure some stuff out. I have a few questions for those who have seen it, though:

Were the aliens just killing people, or were they abducting them after they gassed them?

Why did the alien poison the boy in the last scene? And why didn't he fight back after the emperor from Gladiator started kicking the shyt out of him?

Also, M. Night Shyamalan always throws little secrets and stuff into his movies. Are there any in Signs that anyone caught?

--Chris
They gased them and took them.

The alien at the end was gasing him to take him. They probibly gas you and take you back to the ship and do god knows what with you.

the alien did fight back as far as I saw.

No secrets that I could see other then the director was in it like always.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2002, 06:06 PM

Haven't seen Signs yet, judging by this crowd, i probably won't bother. Maybe a 99cent rental one day.

I don't understand the hype about Shyamalan. None of his movies have impressed me at all. In fact, my impression from 6th Sense and Unbreakable is that he is a man who has great idea but can't make them into good movies. Both of those films left me thinking, "interesting idea. Too bad they didn't really do anything with it."

I'm sure i'm in the minority on that.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 06:07 PM

[edit]
thunderous_funker, just read your post. If you like spooky/suspense movies, I think Signs is worth at least a matinee viewing while still in the theaters. Also, I think Shyamalan executes his movies well, and that Sixth Sense was great. What didn't you like about it?
[/edit]

So what happened to scare them off? Merril repeated what he saw on TV (or heard on the radio) about them using poison gas, and he says "a lot of people died." Did the people in East Asia (I think it was) figuring out water was bad for them spook them and they just took off?

--Chris

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Aug 16, 2002, 06:09 PM

So what happened to scare them off? Merril repeated what he saw on TV (or heard on the radio) about them using poison gas, and he says "a lot of people died." Did the people in East Asia (I think it was) figuring out water was bad for them spook them and they just took off?

--Chris
I guess they tossed water on them.

CreamyAcorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 06:59 PM

Why did the alien poison the boy in the last scene?
I think it was the alien that had his fingers cut off by Mel Gibson's character. I had the same question as you, and while I didn't notice it myself, my girlfriend said ol' greenie's fingers were missing. Common sense is not their forte, but perhaps revenge is...

As for those of you who haven't see it:
Watch it if you like character development, comedic situations to break up a tense scene, and cute kids.
Don't watch it if you hate implausible alien invasion storylines.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by CreamyAcorn:
I think it was the alien that had his fingers cut off by Mel Gibson's character. I had the same question as you, and while I didn't notice it myself, my girlfriend said ol' greenie's fingers were missing. Common sense is not their forte, but perhaps revenge is...

As for those of you who haven't see it:
Watch it if you like character development, comedic situations to break up a tense scene, and cute kids.
Don't watch it if you hate implausible alien invasion storylines.
It was definitely the alien that Graham injured in the vet's house. I don't think it was revenge, because the alien waited so long to do it. Maybe he didn't know that everyone had left and was still just doing his job? Either that or he knew the situation was hopeless - being outnumbered and all - so he decided to just kill the little guy.

I agree with the "implausible alien invasion storylines" comment -- why the heII were they even here?

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Aug 16, 2002, 07:20 PM

I agree with the "implausible alien invasion storylines" comment -- why the heII were they even here?
Perhaps they were just passing by and wanted some food. Or they are explorers that wanted a few samples.

hayesk
Aug 16, 2002, 08:16 PM

I think the plot device of the crop circles could have worked a few years ago, but now that we know how it's done. I don't think I could sit through the movie without thinking "That's not made by aliens, it was a couple of guys with a piece of wood and some rope!"

mchladek
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 08:24 PM

The Sixth Sense was awesome, Unbreakable was pretty cool, but Signs was just downright awful. The character development wasn't all that great (all seemed more like wooden statues; the only well acted scene was the dinner scene, IMO), the humour was forced, and there was no motive for the aliens to be in the story.

**Spoilers**

I got fairly excited about this movie from the previews which claimed, 'This August you'll find out what the signs mean.' I was expecting a decent explanation of the signs purposes. Not the one liner, 'They're used for navigation.' Well, how the hell are they used for navigation? If there to mark where they're going to attack why not just make a simple little circle? Why did they create such complex designs with each one being different? There's no explanation.

The supposed frightful parts were way to predictable. Wow! Mel Gibson is trying to get a peak of the alien inside the pantry, reaching his hand underneath the door. Gee, I wonder what could happen Oh look! The Culken kid is standing right in front of a metal grate when the aliens are trying to get inside. I wonder if an alien will try to grab him

The philosophical part was really stupid too. Gibson's whole spiel about 'There are two types of people: those who see signs as miracles from a higher power and those who see everything as pure chance.' That's complete BS! What about people who believe everything has a cause/effect relationship and that everything happens for a reason but not because of some higher power but because previous actions caused those inevitable effects?

Another thing about the aliens. Why was there no attempt to communicate with them? Sure they were hostile when they landed but there must have been some way to communicate. Like at the end. Everyone is just standing around waiting for this alien to kill the Culken kid. Why is it that the only course of action was to beat this alien to death with a baseball bat? It makes no sense. And, Han Solo, the alien didn't try to fight back at all. It just stood there taking the beating. Stupid!

Weak plot + poor acting = Shymalan's worst movie yet. Hopefully he will take longer developing his next story so he can fill in all the holes.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2002, 09:31 PM

I read (I believe at aintitcool.com's Talkback) one person's theory that the entire story was about the America and Middle East situation. It was very interesting, as many parts had some merit, but others were just wrong. Also, the movie started filming Sept. 10 of last year, so all the writing would've had to have been done before then. Of course, last minute changes were also possible.

The post itself talked about many things, including saying, "Gibson chopping off the alien's fingers was the most crazy movie allusion to the twin towers being destroyed yet conceived." It compared the aliens to America moving in on the Middle East. It was very crazy, and I don't agree with many parts of it, but a very interesting concept anyhow. Take a look at the Signs movie review Talk back at aintitcool.com to find out more, I'm too lazy to repost what was said

mchladek
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
I read (I believe at aintitcool.com's Talkback) one person's theory that the entire story was about the America and Middle East situation. It was very interesting, as many parts had some merit, but others were just wrong. Also, the movie started filming Sept. 10 of last year, so all the writing would've had to have been done before then. Of course, last minute changes were also possible.

The post itself talked about many things, including saying, "Gibson chopping off the alien's fingers was the most crazy movie allusion to the twin towers being destroyed yet conceived." It compared the aliens to America moving in on the Middle East. It was very crazy, and I don't agree with many parts of it, but a very interesting concept anyhow. Take a look at the Signs movie review Talk back at aintitcool.com to find out more, I'm too lazy to repost what was said
Why are people so obsessed with looking for connections that aren't there? Are people so afraid of looking for answers within themselves they have to go looking for meaning in their lives in entertainment?

It's just like Lord of the Rings. Everybody gets this notion that the entire story was conceived from World War I or Tolkien's Catholic background. Although in every interview and every letter written he specifically said he hates allegory and that the whole basis behind LOTR was to put a myth behind the language he created. End of story!

This wishful thinking reminds me of those who just know that Apple is going to make a huge announcement in X days releasing brand new 25" iMacs with Gigawire and USB 2 and SuperDuperOoper Drives and 4.5GHz AMD super-secret processors. Will people please just look at things as they are? Please?!?!

:shrug: I guess I'm in a bad mood tonight. Sorry!

PS-This wasn't directed at you funkboy just a rant I felt like typing.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 10:23 PM

mchladek, I disagree with your take on the character development. I thought the scenes were well acted, and I enjoyed getting to know each character. Also, I welcomed the comic relief and I thought it was even more effective because everyone in the theater got to let out some nervous laughter.

I do agree that some of the suspense scenes were a stretch (like the grate), but they were still entertaining.

One of the freakiest scenes for me was the Brazilian scene, when the alien walks by the birthday party. The way he walks, and his look back over his shoulder, is exactly like that bigfoot tape - does anyone know what I'm talking about? Oooo, still creeps me out.

CreamyAcorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 10:33 PM

With the fear of derailing this thread...
Originally posted by hayesk:
I think the plot device of the crop circles could have worked a few years ago, but now that we know how it's done. I don't think I could sit through the movie without thinking "That's not made by aliens, it was a couple of guys with a piece of wood and some rope!"
Don't believe everything you see on TLC. I don't subscribe to alien communication theories, or earth-energy lines, or wierd meditation crap. And it is known that a large majority of them are hoaxes. But just because most crop circles are explained, doesn't mean that all of them are.

I'm no expert, and won't get into the supposed evidence that 'genuine' crop circles provide. If you're interested, search the web, there's supposedly a lot of legit science investigating the phenomenon.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2002, 12:26 AM

two thumbs down for this movie.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
two thumbs down for this movie.
You'll have to pull them out of your �ss first

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 01:14 AM

Children, let's play nice.

or not. i'm bored. as you were!

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Aug 17, 2002, 03:35 AM

Okay, while I think that Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were masterpieces, this was not. Comparing it to the rest of the summer garbage, it was amazing...on its own..it was a solid move...but not all that I expected.

The aliens...my theory is that they're nothing more than retrievers...the intelligent aliens said, "Hey...go fetch us some human flesh!" And they did. Was this movie all that i was hoping it would be? No...not by a long shot...after Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, this was lame. Good overall...but lame compared to his other movies.

Nimisys
Banned
Aug 17, 2002, 03:45 AM

unbreakbale was pretty lame in myu book, and while i haven't seen signs yet, it looks pretty dumb as well... this one will most diffently be a rental movie

eep!
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 05:07 PM

Stuart Little Rocked!!!

And the twist�
at the end�
genius!

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
unbreakbale was pretty lame in myu book
Ya I loved 6th and liked Signs but unbreakable was just about the worst thing I have ever seen.

"Barwaraaawww"

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 09:33 PM

I thought Unbreakable was ok, but it's not a movie I want to see again and again. Signs, on the other hand, I'm going to see again this weekend.

shanraghan
Senior User
Aug 18, 2002, 01:42 AM

Wait... aliens that die when they come in contact with water? Those idiots! Why're they trying to attack us when we have the perfect weapon against them: Wall Drug! (Free ice water. )
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2002, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
unbreakbale was pretty lame in myu book, and while i haven't seen signs yet, it looks pretty dumb as well... this one will most diffently be a rental movie
I agree, unbreakable took 3 tries to actually watch I fell asleep twice trying! Sixth was okay, I picked up early on and overall I have no plans to watch it again. wasn't a waste of my life so... eh.

I can tell from the previews that Signs was going to suck and reading this thread has confirmed it. This isn't even a rental movie it's a "I'm too lazy to change the channel and its' on HBO" movie.
( Last edited by juanvaldes; Aug 18, 2002 at 03:43 AM. )
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2002, 03:09 AM

[edit]
thunderous_funker, just read your post. If you like spooky/suspense movies, I think Signs is worth at least a matinee viewing while still in the theaters. Also, I think Shyamalan executes his movies well, and that Sixth Sense was great. What didn't you like about it?
[/edit]

--Chris
Maybe it just rained

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2002, 03:13 AM

It should be noted that it was TAP WATER that burned the alien.

I don't have any evidence to back this up, but maybe ordinary water isn't what hurts these aliens... maybe it's the chlorine in it. The little girl did say through the whole movie she didn't like the taste of the water.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 12:49 PM

what's with the roll-eyes, jackass.

hayesk
Aug 18, 2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by CreamyAcorn:
With the fear of derailing this thread...Don't believe everything you see on TLC. I don't subscribe to alien communication theories, or earth-energy lines, or wierd meditation crap. And it is known that a large majority of them are hoaxes. But just because most crop circles are explained, doesn't mean that all of them are.

I'm no expert, and won't get into the supposed evidence that 'genuine' crop circles provide. If you're interested, search the web, there's supposedly a lot of legit science investigating the phenomenon.
No, legit science used to be investigating the phenomenon and the only people who are now, are making silly TV shows to propagate the myth that the circles are of "unknown" origin. The media conveniently forgets the mystery was solved because they can generate more hype and sell TV shows about the subject.

The most complex patterns that "legit science" said could not be made by humans was explained and and showed by a couple of guys with wood and rope. Then people say "but these happened all over the world with different patterns". Of course, once word got out how the first people did it, copycats everywhere used similar methods but not exactly the same, hence the patterns and orientation of the grass came out slightly different.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but just about anyone can make strange and complex crop circles.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2002, 05:47 PM

Oh for the hell of it I think I will stick this pic in this thread

discovered on 15th August in Hampshire UK.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Oh for the hell of it I think I will stick this pic in this thread

discovered on 15th August in Hampshire UK.
pretty cool. any idea what that circle is supposed to be?

i wonder how many people it took to make that, it's pretty good-sized..

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2002, 04:19 AM

The circle is thought to be a spiral of binary code.
Whoever did it, it's amazing. But it's had no news coverage over here, strange considering 'Signs' isn't out yet here, you wood have thought it would have been used as a promo tool?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2002, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by mchladek:
The Sixth Sense was awesome, Unbreakable was pretty cool, but Signs was just downright awful. The character development wasn't all that great (all seemed more like wooden statues; the only well acted scene was the dinner scene, IMO), the humour was forced, and there was no motive for the aliens to be in the story.

**Spoilers**

I got fairly excited about this movie from the previews which claimed, 'This August you'll find out what the signs mean.' I was expecting a decent explanation of the signs purposes. Not the one liner, 'They're used for navigation.' Well, how the hell are they used for navigation? If there to mark where they're going to attack why not just make a simple little circle? Why did they create such complex designs with each one being different? There's no explanation.

The supposed frightful parts were way to predictable. Wow! Mel Gibson is trying to get a peak of the alien inside the pantry, reaching his hand underneath the door. Gee, I wonder what could happen Oh look! The Culken kid is standing right in front of a metal grate when the aliens are trying to get inside. I wonder if an alien will try to grab him

The philosophical part was really stupid too. Gibson's whole spiel about 'There are two types of people: those who see signs as miracles from a higher power and those who see everything as pure chance.' That's complete BS! What about people who believe everything has a cause/effect relationship and that everything happens for a reason but not because of some higher power but because previous actions caused those inevitable effects?

Another thing about the aliens. Why was there no attempt to communicate with them? Sure they were hostile when they landed but there must have been some way to communicate. Like at the end. Everyone is just standing around waiting for this alien to kill the Culken kid. Why is it that the only course of action was to beat this alien to death with a baseball bat? It makes no sense. And, Han Solo, the alien didn't try to fight back at all. It just stood there taking the beating. Stupid!

Weak plot + poor acting = Shymalan's worst movie yet. Hopefully he will take longer developing his next story so he can fill in all the holes.
Truthfully I thought The Sixth Sense was one of the worst horror films ever. Not a *thing* about that movie was scary at all. I actually laughed in the theatre (pissed of the guy sitting in front of me) at a few parts 'cause it was so damn cheesy.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2002, 04:31 AM

La de da...

Anyway, saw the flick last week and it wasn't at all what I expected it to be. In fact, I was thoroughly entertained! ^_^ One of the best flicks I'd seen in a while (of the Hollywood variety).

So even though we aren't voting, put my vote in for "I enjoyed it" and "go see this film."

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 03:38 AM

Signs came out on video this week in the States. Anyone rented it yet? I bought it but didn't watch it till tonight with my folks.

It was still really good, but it's better the first time for obvious reasons.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2003, 03:54 AM

Signs was retarded.

An alien species deathly alergic to water attacks a planet 75% covered in water with regular precipetation, with a species made of 90% water.

They have trouble breaking down pantry doors but will turn over furniture and take 5 or 6 swings from a bat via a very powerful baseball hitter.

On top of that, the only people interested in the attacking space ships is the news media. Oooh no, the military's still hiding someplace denying the whole thing. Meanwhile people go about their merry way.

The only thing I liked about the movie was the point of view. Other than that it was terrible.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules