Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Serious Accounts Bug (6C115)

Serious Accounts Bug (6C115)
Subzero Diesel949
Aug 19, 2002, 01:50 AM

This is a duplicate post from the "Official Bug List" thread, but I need to know if there are people out there who can reproduce the following with an existing non-admin user who has previously logged in:

Go to System Prefs => Accounts and try to set capabilities for a non-admin user. Restrict a few apps. Better yet, uncheck a few things toward the top of the pane. Or maybe do one or the other (unchecking either the apps or the things up top). Now have the person attempt to log in. All they will get is a hung "Logging In..." screen with the "barber shop" meter. The only way out of it is a force restart, and the only way the person can ever log in again is by creating a new user account. The fix? Use permissions from Get Info a la pre-Jaguar.

This occurred on an iBook 600 and an iBook 300; 256 MB and 160 MB RAM, respectively.

eep!
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2002, 03:03 PM

I get the hung login screen in 10.1.5 if the computer has been to sleep for a few hours. anyone get that problem?

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:

Go to System Prefs => Accounts and try to set capabilities for a non-admin user. Restrict a few apps. Better yet, uncheck a few things toward the top of the pane. Or maybe do one or the other (unchecking either the apps or the things up top). Now have the person attempt to log in. All they will get is a hung "Logging In..." screen with the "barber shop" meter. The only way out of it is a force restart, and the only way the person can ever log in again is by creating a new user account. The fix? Use permissions from Get Info a la pre-Jaguar.

This occurred on an iBook 600 and an iBook 300; 256 MB and 160 MB RAM, respectively.
I don't have another user on my system, so can't try this, but did you report this a bug to Apple? Even if no one else sees it, it may still be a problem.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 07:02 PM

Haven't had time to create a new user, login, logout, log back in as myself, change the new user's capabilities, log back out, etc, etc. Will try this some time.

However, I did try creating a new user and setting them up with the Simple Finder and access to all applications except Address Book.

Amusingly, I found at least 3 ways in which Address Book could be accessed:
(i) clicking the button to edit My Address Book Card in My Account prefs;
(ii) changing one of the aliases in My Applications to point to Address Book;
(iii) opening the Terminal and entering 'open /Applications/Address Book.app'

LOL. I assume this isn't being sold to schools.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:

However, I did try creating a new user and setting them up with the Simple Finder and access to all applications except Address Book.

LOL. I assume this isn't being sold to schools.
What is so bad about the address book, they probably figured that everyone would want it so they didn't think of ways to keep it completely seperate from other programs, such as Mail...

JellyBeen
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
This is a duplicate post from the "Official Bug List" thread, but I need to know if there are people out there who can reproduce the following with an existing non-admin user who has previously logged in:

On a different note, In 6c115, I can no longer use the "log in automatically" check box. It always reverts to Login with a list of users or I have to write in my admin name and Password. I think this further confirms that the accounts Pref pane is not up to par...
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2002, 08:10 PM

it works fine for me, both of them. including auto login on admin account, even root. You guys must have done something wrong.

cowerd
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 08:50 PM

On a different note, In 6c115, I can no longer use the "log in automatically" check box.
This was a bug in previous builds--up to 6C106. But, for me at least, it is fine in 6C115.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by cowerd:

This was a bug in previous builds--up to 6C106. But, for me at least, it is fine in 6C115.
I wonder if it could be a currupt file that carried over from my previous Preferences files?...
I could dump all the apple Pref or re-install the OS..just re-run it to let the installer fix any problems that it might find..
I'll let you guys know how it pans out...
But then again, if that was a bug in 6C106...who am I kidding...

JellyBeen
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 10:20 PM

Well guys, I fixed the Accounts Pref "Log in Automatically as..." bug that I had.
The first thing that I tried worked.
Trashed Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist file and Restarted.
Problem solved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules