Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > -HELP: Xserve and DNS server

-HELP: Xserve and DNS server
lapinos
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2002, 05:56 AM

I have an Xserve in its box just in front of me, ready to work...
BUT...
I read that Xserve needs to have an external DNS server to work correctly with remote admin tools...which I don't have.
I also read that it is possible to configure Xserve manually changing some config siles. I am very far from being an UNIX guru, but I could be able to follow a step-by-step instruction

Has anyone a kind of tutorial?

Thanx a LOT
greg
Lao_Tseu

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 01:52 AM

I don't have a tutorial right here, but Mac OS X Server ships with example BIND configuration files in /etc/named.conf and /var/named/. You should be able to follow them to get something basic working.

I also highly recommend the O'Reilly book "DNS and BIND" by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu. It has more than enough to get you going with big stuff.

There was an article, IIRC on LinuxGazette.com, called something like "DNS for Home Networking" that I found really useful when starting out with DNS. Maybe you could google for that as well.

HTH,
Fraser
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

eep!
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 07:58 PM

Here's the article if you can't be bothered looking.
(I went looking and when I found it I thought I'd post it, just to be helpful, I mean, it's not like I go around looking for posts where people haven't posted exact links. I do have a life, y'know?)

lapinos  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by eep!:
Here's the article if you can't be bothered looking.
(I went looking and when I found it I thought I'd post it, just to be helpful, I mean, it's not like I go around looking for posts where people haven't posted exact links. I do have a life, y'know?)
Wow, that will be useful for sure.
The example you gave is working on linux, will it be exactly the same for X?
My local network is behind a DSL router with NAT on a leased line. We use internal IP addresses in 192.168.25.XX.
Will there be any interference with our ISP?

The article says we need the bind program. Is it already installed on the Xserve?

Thanx
greg
Lao_Tseu

Forum Links
Forum Rules