Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > windoze ipod features

windoze ipod features
poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2002, 01:40 PM

Does the calendar and address book work w/ the windoze ipod?
if i buy the mac ipod and use the 3rd party software (xplay) to connect it to my pc, will the calendar and address book work then?

will later updates (1.3?) have a mac ipod version and a pc ipod version?

if i buy a pc ipod and later buy a macintosh computer can i plug the pc ipod into my new mac w/out 3rd party software and use the pc ipod as a external hard drive on my mac?

Ca$h68
Banned
Aug 29, 2002, 01:52 PM

If I buy a mac iPod but update the firmware to linux can I link up with my computer? My computer is a Playstation 2 running sony linux emulating macintosh emulating a Windows 98 Machine. It also has Game Cube firmware patches with modified Xbox controllers.

Will it work?

>SLAP<

- Ca$h

'`'`'`

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2002, 02:01 PM

If I was going for an ipod I'd grab the PC one but use it on my mac just because I'd get a free mp3 player app for my PC

But they say PC ipods won't work on macs.. wtf?!!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2002, 02:28 PM

if i buy a pc ipod and later buy a macintosh computer can i plug the pc ipod into my new mac w/out 3rd party software and use the pc ipod as a external hard drive on my mac?
No, unfortunately. My sister and family have been struggling with which iPod to purchase, as well. I don't have supporting links offhand, but an iPod/PC cannot be used on a Mac (even with a reformat or whatever). The best route would be to purchase an iPod/Mac and use Xplay + MacDrive for the PC. This will ensure that you also could use it on any current or new Mac.

I'm unsure of the calendar and contact features of the iPod?PC.

I don't believe iPod/PCs are shipping yet (?); I'm sure there will be some 3rd party hacks to do whatever you need, regardless (there always are...).
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Roxie
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2002, 03:45 PM

From Apple's support site.

This document outlines the differences between iPod 1.2 software for Macintosh and Windows.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSSION

Due to differences between iTunes 3 and MusicMatch software, the following iPod 1.2 features are not available when iPod for Windows Software 1.0 is installed:

* Audible.com spoken word file playback
* Sound Check
* browse by composer
* play counts
* play dates
* my rating
* per-song EQ settings (general EQ settings work as expected.)
* Smart Playlists

Note: MusicMatch Jukebox, included with iPod for Windows, has an feature called Volume Leveling that is similar to Sound Check. However, the Volume Leveling feature is not part of iPod for Windows Software 1.0. Using Volume Leveling has no effect when playing songs on iPod.

Thrax
Banned
Aug 29, 2002, 06:38 PM

I hate to get this discussion off topic, but why can't Apple make iPods that work with both Mac OS and Windows? For a company so obsessed with inventory management - which is why the Power Mac Servers have CD-RW drives and Radeon cards, it seems odd that they end up selling six products that could easily be three.

eep!
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 07:48 PM

is it just me or does anyone else think music match jukebox is a POS?

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2002, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by eep!:
is it just me or does anyone else think music match jukebox is a POS?
I think it's the worse out of all the Mp3 players for Windows/Mac. I hated it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules