Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Whoa: Faster than 56Mbps???

Whoa: Faster than 56Mbps???
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 07:43 PM

I'm well aware that there are lots of 802.11g routers out there that will work with an AirPort Extreme card.

But what about the new products from D-Link — such as the DI-624
and the DWL-2000AP — that claim to achieve speeds of 108Mbps.

My natural questions are:[list=1][*]Those speeds cannot be achieved using an AirPort Extreme card, can they? I mean, the router may be able to broadcast at that speed, but the card can't receive that quickly, right?[*]Are there any Cardbus products that can receive at that speed and will work on a PowerBook?[*]Is this for real? Is it worthwhile?[/list=1]

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by selowitch:

I'm well aware that there are lots of 802.11g routers out there that will work with an AirPort Extreme card.

But what about the new products from D-Link — such as the DI-624
and the DWL-2000AP — that claim to achieve speeds of 108Mbps.

My natural questions are:[list=1][*]Those speeds cannot be achieved using an AirPort Extreme card, can they? I mean, the router may be able to broadcast at that speed, but the card can't receive that quickly, right?[*]Are there any Cardbus products that can receive at that speed and will work on a PowerBook?[*]Is this for real? Is it worthwhile?[/list=1]
The D-Link (and other 108mbps cards) work by using dual channels simultaneously. So, yes, they can work although like all wireless solutions, the rates quoted are theoretical maximum and never achieved in the real world.

Any such card would work on the Mac if the vendors provided drivers. I'm not sure off hand which (if any) do.

As for whether or not it's worth it, probably not. Unless your internet connection is DS-3 (45mbps) or faster, you're not going to notice the speed on browsing. The only boost would be on local networking with other machinces in your local subnet.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by Camelot:
As for whether or not it's worth it, probably not.
Well, right now D-Link has a promo for both items for $120 after MIR. That's pretty good, isn't it?

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2004, 09:36 AM

The D-Link (and other 108mbps cards) work by using dual channels simultaneously. So, yes, they can work although like all wireless solutions, the rates quoted are theoretical maximum and never achieved in the real world.
Actually thats not quite accurate. 802.11b and 802.11g use DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum) to transmit/receive. What this means is every Layer 2 frame is broken up into "chips" and sent over a wide band of frequencies (30MHz), resulting in overlapping channels. There are currently 3 non-overlapping channels in teh 2.4GHz band (1, 6, 11). For a good article about this, check out http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...e.php/2107261.

As for the D-Link product, while their card is compatible with regular 802.11g products, to achieve the 108MB advertised, they are using a a couple of different methods to achieve higher throughput, all of which have not been ratifed by the IEEE, meaning it is a proprietary solution. http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DI-624 explains how they are doing it.

Personally, I don't like proprietary solutions. When a company goes off and does their own thing against an industry standard, they tend not to play nicely with those that do.
iMac therefor iAm

Forum Links
Forum Rules