Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Server

Server
masons247
Sep 4, 2006, 01:40 PM

I just won a Sun Microsystems Netra T105 server from ebay for $18. It does not have a hard drive. It has a CD-rom a 450MHz processor, and 512MB of ram.

What exactly can I do with this? I planned on using it for a Counter-Strike Server but I have no clue how to. It has no VGA and no place to put a video card. Can I use this as a Counter-Strike server? If so, how?

If I can't make a CS server with it, what exactly CAN I do?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 02:20 PM

If I recall correctly, a Netra T105 is Sparc, not x86, so you can't run a counterstrike server on it.

Use it as a web/email server? Not much to do with such a sled.

I mean, there's always

masons247  (op)
Sep 4, 2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
If I recall correctly, a Netra T105 is Sparc, not x86, so you can't run a counterstrike server on it.

Use it as a web/email server? Not much to do with such a sled.

I mean, there's always
What if I used linux from here: UltraLinux Home Page designed for a SPARC processor?

Also, how would I make a web server? If I plug the server into the wall will I be able to see it in My Network Places?

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2006, 03:16 PM

As long as there are no SPARC binaries of Counterstrike, you can't use it as a game server. On the other hand, Sun makes excellent server hardware and it can be used for serving webpages or other services (either running Solaris, Linux, NetBSD or any other OS which runs on SPARC).

Don't fool yourself, though, it'll probably be loud (as most `real' servers are).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by masons247
What if I used linux from here: UltraLinux Home Page designed for a SPARC processor?

Also, how would I make a web server? If I plug the server into the wall will I be able to see it in My Network Places?
Sure, you can run Linux on Sparc, but the Linux/x86 CS server binaries won't run on it.

No, you'll need a serial console or similar to configure that server. With Samba and enough tweaking you should be able to get it to show up in Network Neighborhood.

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2006, 04:18 PM

Well, many PCs still have a serial port … so that should work. (We even used an old Mac once to configure a big Sun server )

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 4, 2006, 04:22 PM

Serial console is a perfect use for some ancient x86 computer that can't do anything else-there are a bazillion (that's a conservative estimate) serial comm apps for plain DOS (or the free versions of it) and 8086-based PCs. They take a few k of RAM (that's right, kilobytes) and not much processor power. I have a very ancient 80286SX-based laptop on hand for such purposes (and I shudder to think that I paid about $1500 for it new!).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Sep 4, 2006, 05:28 PM

Windows also comes with a terminal application, although I have never actually used it.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2006, 06:41 PM

You can't do anything with it, at least not without at least putting in a hard drive.

Of course, it could be configured to NetBoot, but then you're going to have to build a Solaris NetBoot server - buying a disk for the system is going to be cheaper and a lot less heartache.

Once you've done that you can install Solaris on it. You can download Solaris 10 for free from Sun and burn it onto a CD. At the very least you're going to need a serial console to the server in order to configure it. Your Mac can do this with one of the KeySpan serial port devices, but you'll also need a RJ-45 to DB9 converter (the Sun box will have a RJ-45 serial port).

Solaris is one of the better unix variants out there. You can do pretty much anything you can do on any other unix system, including running a web server, mail server, nfs server, etc.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules