Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Max throughput of Gigabit ethernet on PowerMac G4?

Max throughput of Gigabit ethernet on PowerMac G4?
zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 09:42 AM

**Posted this in the proper forum now, feel free to move the other!**

Basically I am trying to find out if anyone is achieving greater speeds than my setup with an older G4 Tower.

I am using the built-in ethernet connecting at 1000T full duplex. I have a 3-drive RAID 0 using 2 SATA Drives on a PCI Card, the drives pull about 130MB Read/Write locally but over the network they are pulling around 50MB Read 65MB Write

Is this just a limitation of the machine? I thought gigabit could do 125MB?

I am using a Dell 48 port gigabit switch and all Cat 6 cabling. The Host is a Quicksilver 1.5GHz single G4 with 2GB Ram running OS X Server 10.4.7

Any Ideas or other tests I can do?

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 01:27 AM

Yes, theoretically gigabit ethernet can achieve 125MB/sec, but you are never going to get that on a single host. Most networks run at about half the theoretical speed, and that's what you're getting, so you're about right.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 07:28 AM

Ok just checking, I am thinking of other ideas for sharing the data with 4 machines, something like a fibre channel setup. Then just let the OS X Server do its duties (print que, mail, web) without the file sharing pressure.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 12:45 PM

I'm not sure how you expect to integrate fiber channel into this setup unless you're talking XServe RAID, in which case you'll need the RAID, a fiber channel switch, HBAs, etc. - you're talking $20K now (at least for a fully-loaded XServe RAID). At that rate you could replace all your machines with new quad-core MacPros with a terabyte of storage each, eliminating the network bottleneck altogether.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 09:16 PM

Right, but the problem is we all need to access each-others files and they need to be centralized the way our backups and general workflow goes. We might just be stuck at gigabit speed.

I did find out that our cable is Cat 5e and upgrading it to Cat 6 would probably not do much for us.

Forum Links
Forum Rules