Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 24)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The ultimate mind**** touch.
When I imported my castle I flipped it left to right to better fit the slope of the island. I was turning the wrong way for a week. But I haven't been on that SP world since.

Prank Idea, flip the whole SMP map N/S or E/W. Wait 3 minutes after someone logs in, boot them and switch it back.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Not sure... I was inside (railway to right, facing away from door) and I saw one come over the top of the left wall. Or maybe it spawned up there?
Don't forget they won't spawn within 25m and they only see 16m so I bet it climbed over.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 04:31 PM

Twitter
Coming soon to 1.8: hold-to-charge bows. Finished up some of the backing tech for it today. Then we played OpenTTD.
1.8 is going really be a revolutionary change for this game, and the more I hear the less I think I'm going to like it (overall).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
When I imported my castle I flipped it left to right to better fit the slope of the island. I was turning the wrong way for a week. But I haven't been on that SP world since.

Prank Idea, flip the whole SMP map N/S or E/W. Wait 3 minutes after someone logs in, boot them and switch it back.
You'd be a very evil god.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2011, 09:49 PM

BLAZE's Restone Laboratory
Video 1
Location and "Batcave" door.
http://blazemkiv.dyndns.org/Files/CartDoor.mov

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2011, 11:13 AM

Not down with the weird yellow pallor of the ambient(?) lighting. I am curious if these are new textures or blocks, because it looks like what a texture pack would do to unuglify cobble, but with them just having updated that very texture I don't see them updating it yet again.

Edit: It's got to be cobble, there's a mossy version on the left. The semi-broken blocks I imagine are the new block. My guess? They break upon walking on. Could lead to some precarious situations.

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2011, 11:31 AM

I thought it was ruins. But if the stone is breakable after a certain number of walks... interesting.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2011, 11:46 AM

I thought it was ruins. But if the stone is breakable after a certain number of walks... interesting.
If they're introducing several new blocks than I really missed it.

BTW, it's going to suck trying to find this stuff post 1.8 with some of you psychos who went crazy exploring.

Edit: Reading that they may have been referenced as "Stone Bricks" meaning there are three variations.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2011, 01:37 PM

"Jeb: we've added 12 new tiles to terrain.png in 1.8, so far"

Well, then.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 02:13 PM

BTW, it's going to suck trying to find this stuff post 1.8 with some of you psychos who went crazy exploring.
Ha...

The only place I went too awfully crazy with was south of Salt Lake City. Avoid that area (although my progression was linear, and just west/east of it should be fine).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2011, 03:36 PM

Two weeks ago I felt like I was starting way too many projects I couldn't finish. After completing the moat, aqueduct, and the road to the Hall of Justice last weekend, I managed to complete two in progress tunnels, two phases of Idol Valley, and finish work on the two towers of the south reaching bridge wall this weekend. Feels good.

I also added some details to the base of the Fry Memorial. Nothing too cool, but check it out the next time you wander through (If I had the dedication and the know-how, I'd add a pressure plate that activated when you went up top that played a few noted from the Futurama theme).

Speaking of unfinished business, Jawbone and I finally got around to hunting what we suspected was a dungeon, and it turned out we were right. At the base of the steps of the tunnel leading to the Aqueduct, we discovered a skeletal dungeon. We cleared the sucker out, but the loot was not just poor, but piss poor (I noted, thankfully no music disc to fight over). Looking at the silver lining, however, I mentioned that a skeletal spawner would make for a handy arrow grinder.

Cut to yesterday when inspiration hit and I went to work for a few hours (and one revision). We now have a mostly functioning skeletal grinder available. I can't speak if it's any more efficient for gaining arrows than Blaze's grinder, but its there for use now.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2011, 05:28 PM

Cut to yesterday when inspiration hit and I went to work for a few hours (and one revision). We now have a mostly functioning skeletal grinder available.
I know of one ready accessible skeleton spanner under my castle, I've been plotting a mobivator (hence the earlier experiment) to supply them as a first line of defense for the castle. The distance issue though limits the usefulness. A normal spawning room can be made to produce everything but spiders, but I'll still get creepers and zombies which are sub-par as skirmishers. With pistons... <<evil idea>> ...I think I found a use for quite a bit of my iron surplus.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 01:15 AM

Tried the AFKing at the spawner earlier... its quite effective. Two hours gave me severals stacks of arrows.

Anyway, some more images:

Didn't take long... squids in the aqueduct.

Another Mother of Chunk Errors

This is what civilization looks like.

From right to left: The wall/bridge, moat, aqueduct, main road and forest, aqueduct safehouse, and the Fry Memorial.

At bottom, the bridge which leads to... an unfinished concept.

Phase 2 Complete:

Phase 3 Complete:

This is probably the point where I should explain what Phase 4 is – Erecting replica statues of the rest of you in this style:

I haven't worked out the details yet... while I'd like to get all of you holding your favorite tool, the layout of the valley may be too cramped for that. I'll clear up more details and any questions tomorrow.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 08:10 AM

Marathon Art Gallery - Craig Mullins
There's no rocket launcher in Minecraft.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 10:05 AM

Actually, the logical starting point is using the skins you guys are wearing (or prefer, in the case of Jawbone), as they've already been optimized to where 1 pixel = 1 block. From there its just a matter of color matching as best I can.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 11:22 AM

Ad well here's were it's from Skin - Red Marine

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 12:02 PM

Ho...ly...crap.

Also...Dirk is permanent.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 12:22 PM

Ahem... post the skin.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 12:37 PM

Fatty needs to drag his ass in here and post his skin, as well.

Also if you don't think this:

Had something to do with the cactus farm, you're being naive.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 03:40 PM

Umm, is there an easy way to locate my skin, or do I have to rifle through the tons of Gordon Freeman skins to find my exact one?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 03:51 PM

Should be in a folder in you MInecraft App Support, I believe.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 04:33 PM

I had to upload it from the same site blaze linked to in order to get it like this:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 04:36 PM

Don't upload the one from your App Support folder, sek, unless you want to deal with this:

Instead, upload it on this page first:

Submit a New Skin

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I had to upload it from the same site blaze linked to in order to get it like this:

Personally, I like the away uni way better.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 04:44 PM

AGH!!! Where'd you find that?

[EDIT] Never mind...it's not the 2010/2011 away jersey. It's the old, dark navy one from years past.

This is the one I want:

[EDIT Numero Dos] Actually, after looking at this, I've decided I do like the face, hair, shoes, and overall look a lot better, but the color is still driving me crazy. I might try to edit it myself.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 04:46 PM

I've probably thrown away enough cactus to color that much wool. There's a tiny cactus farm in my grinder for those who haven't spent time in the collector.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 04:49 PM

Whoever made that skin did a lousy job on the front, there's no way to keep the numbers legible on the front and in scale, but they smartly didn't try with the lettering.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 04:50 PM

AGH!!! Where'd you find that?

[EDIT] Never mind...it's not the 2010/2011 away jersey. It's the old, dark navy one from years past.

This is the one I want:

[EDIT Numero Dos] Actually, after looking at this, I've decided I do like the face, hair, shoes, and overall look a lot better, but the color is still driving me crazy. I might try to edit it myself.
I can certainly do it if you can't. The white is too... white. (And Dirk too AMIRITE)

I've probably thrown away enough cactus to color that much wool. There's a tiny cactus farm in my grinder for those who haven't spent time in the collector.
I figured that was a side-effect of your grinder.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 05:06 PM

Can't find it, the folder labeled 'texture packs' is empty.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 05:14 PM

What do y'all think?

(note - it looks better with the extra layer of hair, in motion)

[EDIT] I forgot the back layer of dark blue sleeve lining. Agh...

Fixed...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 05:23 PM

From an angle:

andi*pandi
Jul 12, 2011, 05:26 PM

Nice. I need to tweak mine.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 05:45 PM

Nice. I need to tweak mine.
At the risk of offending you, I hope you get rid of the Michelle Bachman eyes. I try not to turn my back when you're around.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 05:51 PM

From an angle:

Judgement call time. Do you want light blue for the jersey and reg blue for the shoulders, or reg blue for the jersey and dark gray for the shoulders? (See: Wool)

Fatty: Looks like it's something you upload to the website, so I guess you do have to find it. Good luck as I did some cursory searches today with little luck. Maybe check you Safari history first?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 06:55 PM

Judgement call time. Do you want light blue for the jersey and reg blue for the shoulders, or reg blue for the jersey and dark gray for the shoulders? (See: Wool)
Probably regular blue for jersey and gray for shoulders. I'll donate some dye/wool to help out.

Fatty: Looks like it's something you upload to the website, so I guess you do have to find it. Good luck as I did some cursory searches today with little luck. Maybe check you Safari history first?
Fatty had to have downloaded the png at some point in order to upload the file to minecraft.net. Do you think you deleted it?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 07:53 PM

Probably regular blue for jersey and gray for shoulders. I'll donate some dye/wool to help out.
I don't need wool per se (As I said I have 26 stacks), but for the dyes that are rare (lapiz), I'd appreciate donations up front. It's up to you whether you'd like to make that in the form of already dyed wool (more efficiently gathered by dying sheep). I believe I'll need a decent amount of sandstone for your skin, as well.

I have green, the various shades of black, and probably red covered for the time being (Though I will happily accept ink sac and rose donations).

Fatty had to have downloaded the png at some point in order to upload the file to minecraft.net. Do you think you deleted it?
Good question.

andi*pandi
Jul 12, 2011, 11:13 PM

It's still not quite right, but eh.

blurry reference:

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 11:23 PM

Id try taking the box off the stomach and stick with how the stars break up the stripes. And just one line diagonally over the shoulder. Oh and it has Mulan eyees. Darkening the blocks under the head and arm and the neck area helps too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 11:38 PM

It's still not quite right, but eh.

I was wrong, it's not the eyes that creepy, it's the smile.

blurry reference:
Also, it looks familiar. What the hell is that (Wait – I know your tendencies – Dr. Who?)

Id try taking the box off the stomach and stick with how the stars break up the stripes. And just one line diagonally over the shoulder. Oh and it has Mulan eyees. Darkening the blocks under the head and arm and the neck area helps too.
Don't forget we're working with a limited color palette here. I'm using sandstone for skin. That's pretty much the only skin tone.

---

Oh, being stupid I've completely underestimated the resources required for each statue, so yes, I'll accept wool donations, though they need not be excessive. I'm estimating I'll be going through around 12 stacks per statue. That's 48 stacks for this entire project. Yikes. (I've already cooked and dyed 48 cactus green).

Blaze's statue is over 50% built right now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2011, 10:59 AM

Dakar's been quite busy lately...

Grinder.

Cactus farm.

And, of course, this...

A creeper, worshipping at Blaze's altar:

You can see Dakar working in Blaze's head in the next two shots.

Admiring his work.

I went on a bit of a westward exploration binge, finally running into a massive desert wilderness. I collected a few more stacks of clay, but I'm becoming addicted to forging out new paths and seeing what all this little world has to offer.

Barren...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2011, 11:49 AM

What's the coords of that dessert, I'd like to try building a passive mob only grinder and need a huge area without grass, if course I,ll have to import grass.

"little world" good one.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 11:58 AM

Cactus farm.
Which has laready proved invaluable. 5 - 7 stacks of cactus cooked already.

Ugh. Part of the reason this project has taken so long is the amount of terraforming the surrounding countryside. From that shot, the grass plains are just too close to statue base. Looks like I'm going to have to move it even further back. Drastically so. Not fun.

Admiring his work.

I won't be able to finish the statue until Isee what the side of Blaze's head looks like.

Also, Blaze, I need a judgement call on your exposed five o' clock shadow. Sandstone looks too pale, but I think dirt might be too dark. Wood?

I went on a bit of a westward exploration binge, finally running into a massive desert wilderness. I collected a few more stacks of clay, but I'm becoming addicted to forging out new paths and seeing what all this little world has to offer.

DAT MOUNTAIN

I double checked but larger biomes or modified terrain generation don't seem to be in the patch notes, though I swore the latter was done or upcoming in the next patch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 12:02 PM

What's the coords of that dessert, I'd like to try building a passive mob only grinder and need a huge area without grass, if course I,ll have to import grass.
Is that worth the effort with passive mobs becoming permanent in the next update? Spawning will become rare.

andi*pandi
Jul 13, 2011, 12:13 PM

^that will suck for leather and other things.

What are those little red sticks in the desert?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 12:16 PM

It's not as bad as it initially sounds. I think they're adding reproduction and baby animals.

What are those little red sticks in the desert?
Dead tall grass. (Shrubs)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2011, 12:40 PM

With passive now spawning regardless of light levels the effectiveness of upper section of the grinder has dropped precipitously. With only 20 passive mobs at a time a well isolated grinder won't need to be large to max out passive mob spawning. I'm thinking 100m^2 of grass or less.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2011, 02:28 PM

"little world" good one.
I have absolutely no idea, but I'll make sure to mark them down the next time I venture out. I left a torch trail from SLC westward to the desert though.

DAT MOUNTAIN
If you like that one, you should see the ones south of SLC.

Is that worth the effort with passive mobs becoming permanent in the next update? Spawning will become rare.
AGGHHHH! I've got to start reading up on this crap...

First thing on my mind.

It's not as bad as it initially sounds. I think they're adding reproduction and baby animals.
Think?

Mmmm...we can make veal...

With passive now spawning regardless of light levels the effectiveness of upper section of the grinder has dropped precipitously. With only 20 passive mobs at a time a well isolated grinder won't need to be large to max out passive mob spawning. I'm thinking 100m^2 of grass or less.
I still haven't seen all your grinders. I'd really like a tour one day.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2011, 02:41 PM

I still haven't seen all your grinders. I'd really like a tour one day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiTNZXyMNeA

Go in the castle, on the first level below ground is Station 1. Clicking on the far right button (labeled Grinder) will take you there. The track can be glitchy sometimes and will take you to Station 2 or the Mine instead. It's a game engine problem not anything to do with the circuitry. Once you stop the collection point is right there, the lava blade is to the left. If you go back up the track 30m the second side stairs takes you to the passive spawning rooms. The first side stair goes to the wolf collector. If you want to go into the dark spawning room just follow the currents from the passive rooms. Just be prepared to fix anything the creepers destroy.

BTW did anyone else see the video of the 100k items/hour mob grinder someone built (not legit)?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 02:43 PM

BTW did anyone else see the video of the 100k items/hour mob grinder someone built (not legit)?
The 82k one? His spawn slots are that failed feature in my skeletal grinder.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2011, 02:52 PM

The 82k one? His spawn slots are that failed feature in my skeletal grinder.
Someone built one using the same slot technique and broke 100k.

Forum Links
Forum Rules