Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Verizon: iPhone sales less than Android, more than LTE

Verizon: iPhone sales less than Android, more than LTE
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 19, 2012, 09:08 AM

Verizon Wireless has revealed more information regarding its phone sales for the second quarter. In an investor conference call, Chief financial officer Fran Shammo noted that 2.7 million iPhones were sold over the three-month span, falling below the 2.9 million Android-based smartphone shipments but maintaining an edge over the 2.5 million 4G LTE-enabled devices. An analyst recently claimed the iPhone was no longer Verizon's bestselling smartphone, losing its position to the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx.

iPhone sales are marginally higher than the 2.3 million sold in the same period last year, but lag far behind the peak of 3.2 million from the first quarter this year. The falloff is likely due in part to customers expecting a new iteration of Apple's iconic handset, which is rumored to have a thinner display. Apple is expected to maintain the release schedule from the iPhone 4S, suggesting the sixth-generation edition could be on its way in October, however the company has yet to officially confirm any details. According to Shammo, a quarter of iPhone sales in the quarter were from new Verizon Wireless customers. In comparison, only a fifth of customers buying 4G LTE phones were new subscribers. In the original earnings report released earlier today, Verizon revealed that 50 percent of its subscriber base used smartphones of some description, up from 47 percent in the first quarter. Revenues for the Wireless division totaled $15.8 billion, and data revenues rose by $1.1 billion year-over-year to reach $6.9 billion. [via Apple Insider]

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2012, 09:22 AM

Was there ever any doubt??

:-)

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2012, 09:29 AM

Got to love 'analysts'.

"An analyst recently claimed the iPhone was no longer Verizon's bestselling smartphone, losing its position to the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx."

Let's put that into the numbers, shall we.

2.9 million Android phones
2.7 million iPhones.

That would mean that Verizon had to have sold at least 2,700,001 Motorola Droid Razr Maxx's (where DO they come up with these names??)
Moreover, it means that Verizon sold a total of just 200,000 other Android phones. That's all the Samsungs, HTCs, etc

Oh, but wait, it gets better.

The Droid Razr Maxx is an LTE phone. hmm... According to the same Analyst, Verizon sold "... 2.5 million 4G LTE-enabled devices".

So here we are, at the same time, the Droid Razr Maxx (no, that doesn't get any easier to type) sold both MORE than Apple's 2.7 million iPhones and LESS that the 2.5 million LTE phones.

Analyst.. Stick it up your...
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

macvette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2012, 09:46 AM

"... and data revenues rose by $1.1 billion year-over-year to reach $6.9 billion."

Thus the need for those pathetic new shared data plans. Will any customers actually save money with those?!?!?

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2012, 10:30 AM

Just goes to show how powerful LTE is as a sales tool. I'll bet a dollar that the iPhone (6th gen) will be LTE-capable.

airmanchairman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2012, 10:41 AM

What's so hard about telling the truth about the iPhone being the top seller?

Such ungraciousness, hiding behind a faceless Android statistic, with irrational envy and hatred to boot.

Shameful...

Bobfozz
Jul 19, 2012, 10:54 AM

ANALYST are not really analysts.
I talk to the actual people who work at Verizon. Here is what they tell me. They love APPLE because people buy and they get a commission... then, out the door. On the Android phones they have so many different ones that it is easy for the customer to become confused. Time wasted. Apple doesn't promote but if you have been in a big Verizon store, they have posters and all kinds of gimmicks and gadgets which Verizon spends money on to convince you to buy something UNDER the radar (non Apple). More $$$ more wasted time. Like analysts.

testudo
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post
What's so hard about telling the truth about the iPhone being the top seller?
Such ungraciousness, hiding behind a faceless Android statistic, with irrational envy and hatred to boot.
Shameful...
Yeah, I'm sure Verizon is fudging its numbers so they don't have to admit that the iPhone is a top seller.

testudo
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bobfozz View Post
I talk to the actual people who work at Verizon. Here is what they tell me. They love APPLE because people buy and they get a commission... then, out the door. On the Android phones they have so many different ones that it is easy for the customer to become confused. Time wasted.
All that says to me is that the people who 'work' at the store like Apple because that means they don't have to actually work. Then again, people who walk in knowing they want an iphone are just like people who walk in who know they want a samsung galaxy. There's no confusion or time wasted on them.

Originally Posted by Bobfozz View Post
On the Android phones they have so many different ones that it is easy for the customer to become confused. Time wasted.
What you're saying is really "People who come into the store not knowing what they want are all confused about the options." These options are NOT just android phones, they also include iphones and any other phones.

BTW, this is WHY they have sales associates. It's to help the customer pick out the phone that best serves them. Apparently the people you talk with just wants them all to buy iPhones because then they don't have to deal with them ever again. Something wrong? Call apple. I'm busy on Facebook.

Bobfozz
Jul 19, 2012, 11:28 AM

TESTUDO NEVER COULD READ WITH UNDERSTANDING
If you've ever been in sales, which I am guessing you are not, and you get commissions, it's desirable to whip customers along. At the end of the day the one who has been selling Apple products will get a bigger check. THIS is what motivates salespeople, not your whining about "not wanting to work." Most Verizon sales assoc. I have seen are EXCELLENT workers and know their stuff. When are YOU ever going to get IT instead of playing "Devil's Advocate." Just when we think you are starting to exhibit a "lick of sense," you open your mouth.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2012, 02:41 PM

@Camelot-- Good catch!

I hope the iPhone 5 is utilizing the thin screens to allow more space for a larger battery to compete better with the Motorola Razor Maxx on battery life.

totalmuddog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2012, 06:30 PM

Not surprised. I bought my iPhone 4s four months ago. I told the Verizon sales person I wanted to by a smart phone. He showed me every phone but the iPhone. After he exhausted himself telling me everything about the Android phones and how great they were, I asked him what phone he had. He pulled out the iPhone 4s.

He never told me one thing about the iPhone until I asked. I am surprised there weren't more Android phones sold since it was obvious that Verizon was pushing everything but the iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules