Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1.67Ghz PB Struggling?

1.67Ghz PB Struggling?
cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 11:16 PM

Hey Guys/Gals, i have a question...
I have my 1.67Ghz aluminum pb with 1gig of ram powering a 21" HD lcd with a max resolution of 1680x1050 thru a DVI-D connector straight to the the DVI out on the side of the pb. i have no applications running other then firefox. i tried to watch a H.264 codec 720p quality video at a resolution of 1280x720. when i tried to watch it, it was bogging, play a few seconds, pause, play a few, pause etc etc. I then quit firefox so quicktime was the only app running, and it was better, but still doing the same thing, what can be causing this?
Also, when i check iStat pro, the memory scale is at almost 100% capacity when 545mb is labeled inactive? could this be the cause and if so why? it says only 80mb is free when im only running firefox now...please help
Thanks in advance
John N.

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 02:24 AM

Apple states on their website that HD in 720p and higher requires a G5 or an Intel Core Duo or better to play smoothly. This is clearly another one of the reasons Apple switched over to Intel processors so their notebooks and Mac Mini could play HD.
Apple - QuickTime - HD Gallery - System Recommendations
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 02:45 AM

thanks for the info, after i posted i tried it again to make sure, ait ctually played very nicely for about half of the 4 minute length, then it began to bog, thanks again.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2006, 07:55 PM

Yeah, HD is extremely taxing on any system (it even takes 75% of MBP's resources at 1080p), and yes, that's definitly one reason Apple switched to Intel, the G4 couldn't keep up and the G5 didn't work in a Laptop.

I wouldn't worry about it (or just stick with lower-resolution video).

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 08:03 PM

yea, 720p works just fine, sucks that it cant be a bigger size tho, my monitor drawfs the 800x800 size of 720p...looks like i should just bite the bullet and but a mbp, but ill wait until steve has his little meeting thing and see wassup, hopefully the iphone is coming out?...

GeniusInABottle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic
yea, 720p works just fine, sucks that it cant be a bigger size tho, my monitor drawfs the 800x800 size of 720p...looks like i should just bite the bullet and but a mbp, but ill wait until steve has his little meeting thing and see wassup, hopefully the iphone is coming out?...
the resolution of 720p is 1280x720.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2006, 05:21 AM

i stand corrected, dunno what i was thinking when i typed that.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 06:52 AM

The G4 is such an old processor... it was 2001-2002 when it was comparable to Intel chips. Since then, Intel chips have been light years ahead of the G4 in terms of speed. Even though G4 machines were sold up to about 6 months ago, the processor technology was aging, and hence cannot keep up with todays computing demands.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules