Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Dearest John Kerry, please shut up. LOL

Dearest John Kerry, please shut up. LOL (Page 2)
ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
Are you operating under the assumption that one has to be smart and work hard to graduate from Ivy League schools?
Well, as far as I know they're not into handing out degrees to conservatives.
ebuddy

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
If you call helping to give the people there a chance for freedom such as you enjoy dumb, I think you are pretty twisted.

Anyone who calls themselves a caring, sensitive person who loves humanity and values America and freedom would support our being there to help prevent the EVIL ones from taking that away from the noble freedom fighters.

Anyone who calls themselves intelligent will recognize that the same forces that are willing to kill and wreak havoc and chaos in Iraq will not stop once they defeat the freedom fighters.

Anyone who wouldn't help others achieve the freedom we have is small and selfish.

Anyone who wouldn't fight to keep the wolves from their own door is suicidally dumb.
then go an join up soilder!

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
bush/republicans are too dumb to know that it was a stab at bush.

anyone volunteering to go to iraq is dumb. without a draft, u can only get the bottom of the barrel
What the?
ebuddy

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
The military can be an extremely positive experience for a person. It's not "the bottom of the barrel". You want to see that, look at the 40 year old working for McDonalds.
yes you are right...i was um...refering to kerry

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Yeah, that's why I said Kerry couldn't be talking against Ivy League graduates since he, himself is one. At least that's what I meant. I'm trying to figure out how Kerry could've been talking about Bush with the joke.

Couldn't be Ivy League education, they both have one.
According to Kerry it's not about the military, but...

I don't see how it could be about anything else.
I think you're thinking about it too hard. He was just calling Bush dumb. He wasn't trying to craft a courtroom argument for a jury or something.

Watching Brit Hume/Mort Kondracke repeatedly overrule Fred Barnes on this point on tonight's Special Report was gratifying.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

marden
Baninated
Oct 31, 2006, 11:05 PM

then go an join up soilder!
How do you know I'm not currently serving or haven't already satisfied my military obligation or am unable to qualify for service?

True liberal (un)thinking process on display. You are the "soil-der!"

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:08 PM

are you or have you?

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I think you're thinking about it too hard. He was just calling Bush dumb. He wasn't trying to craft a courtroom argument for a jury or something.

Watching Brit Hume/Mort Kondracke repeatedly overrule Fred Barnes on this point on tonight's Special Report was gratifying.
Look, here's the thing; it's just a stupid, divisive thing to say and karma reared to bite him in his dumb ass. I must admit I was flame-baiting a bit, but really what a nimrod. Given what this man has said about his fellow servicemen historically, few put such a statement past him contrived or not. If a Republican said anything remotely like this, they'd be wiped all over the floor with it.

How is that joke even remotely sensible though? I mean it's not even funny. Apparently they're not teaching ice-breakers in speech class at them-thar scholastiks.

His feeble attempt at reconciling the error by pounding his chest was what I found most gratifying of all.
ebuddy

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:15 PM

How is that joke even remotely sensible though? I mean it's not even funny. His feeble attempt at reconciling the error by pounding his chest was what I found most gratifying of all.
That's why it was a joke that bombed. And I agree, it wasn't a good joke.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:20 PM

I still can't figure out how he won the primary in 2004.

marden
Baninated
Oct 31, 2006, 11:24 PM

are you or have you?
I'm sure you've heard of, "don't ask, don't tell."

marden
Baninated
Oct 31, 2006, 11:26 PM

Look, here's the thing; it's just a stupid, divisive thing to say and karma reared to bite him in his dumb ass. I must admit I was flame-baiting a bit, but really what a nimrod. Given what this man has said about his fellow servicemen historically, few put such a statement past him contrived or not. If a Republican said anything remotely like this, they'd be wiped all over the floor with it.

How is that joke even remotely sensible though? I mean it's not even funny. Apparently they're not teaching ice-breakers in speech class at them-thar scholastiks.

His feeble attempt at reconciling the error by pounding his chest was what I found most gratifying of all.

Yup!

He KNEW if he apologized he'd be accused ONCE AGAIN of being a flip flopper!

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:29 PM

Kerry was referencing Bush himself, calling him a certifiable idiot who did poorly in school and ended up leading ito Iraq. It was a poor choice of words because it appeared to insult the rank and file, but that was clearly not his intent.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of those who mock John Kerry and parrot back the lies of the

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:29 PM

Yeah, that's why I said Kerry couldn't be talking against Ivy League graduates since he, himself is one. At least that's what I meant. I'm trying to figure out how Kerry could've been talking about Bush with the joke.

Couldn't be Ivy League education, they both have one.
According to Kerry it's not about the military, but...

I don't see how it could be about anything else.
I'd have to agree. John Kerry, in trying to insult George Bush, managed to insult US troops serving in Iraq. That's not good.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:31 PM

Kerry was referencing Bush himself, calling him a certifiable idiot who did poorly in school and ended up leading ito Iraq. It was a poor choice of words because it appeared to insult the rank and file, but that was clearly not his intent.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of those who mock John Kerry and parrot back the lies of the Swift Boaters. A fair-minded person should be able to see that the Massachusetts senator is a genuine war hero and an excellent human being. Sure, you can disagree with his politics, but the character assassination is as distasteful as it is ultimately self-defeating.

Meanwhile, I'll see you losers on Tuesday, where you'll be crying in your beers over your defeat in the midterm elections.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:35 PM

Once again, Democrats are their own worst enemy.

Kerry's such a turd. He could have applogized to the troops for any misunderstanding and left it that. Enstead, he takes the usual low-road and just keeps shoving his foot deeper into his mouth and proving himself far dumber than anyone he couldn't even make some snotty joke about.

More and more I'm convinced the Dems wanted to lose in '04 by picking such a nitwit as a candidate.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
More and more I'm convinced the Dems wanted to lose in '04 by picking such a nitwit as a candidate.
'Cause the '04 election was such a blowout for Bush?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
'Cause the '04 election was such a blowout for Bush?
It was such a success for Lurch and the Dems?

marden
Baninated
Oct 31, 2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post

Personally, I'm sick and tired of those who mock John Kerry and parrot back the lies of the Swift Boaters. A fair-minded person should be able to see that the Massachusetts senator is a genuine war hero and an excellent human being. Sure, you can disagree with his politics, but the character assassination is as distasteful as it is ultimately self-defeating.

Meanwhile, I'll see you losers on Tuesday, where you'll be crying in your beers over your defeat in the midterm elections.
Let's get out our "Sorry Everybody" pics.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 12:08 AM

I predict that Wednesday after the elections we'll be hearing a bunch of whining about how the voting machines were hacked and voters were disenfranchised. The Dems have already got the ball rolling - expecting a dismal election day.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2006, 12:10 AM

How was it "clearly" not his intent?

It was pretty darn clear when I heard the speech.

He encouraged students to do well or else they would end up "stuck in Iraq."

He did not reference Bush.
The Senator for Massachusetts should stop making himself so easy to mock. He should stop assassinating his own character, whether it's through statements like these that embarrass him, or proudly proclaiming his anti-SUV position and then owning one,

his statements about Christmas in Cambodia which certainly never took place,

or his surprisingly long delay in revealing documents about his service which he promised to release two years ago - after all, they surely only verify the truthinessâ„¢ of his genuine war hero status.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 12:47 AM

I simply don't buy Kerry's explanation that he was referring to Bush. Kerry was at a college, addressing college students. If he really was trying to put down the President, then his responses to the criticism are completely off base. I know many Republicans are salivating at this, but I'm not too sure how much effect it will have on the elections. We'll see next week.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 02:03 AM

Kerry said Pres. Bush was intellectually lazy, getting us into this Iraq mess. Like how Republicans twist everything... like aways.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 02:17 AM

I don't really care whether Kerry is a bad guy or a good guy because of what he said. Frankly, not to sound condescending, but I don't understand why anybody else really cares either. We have always had Senators and other politicians that have said some crazy things, ala Santorum et all. Kerry is not really even in the public spotlight these days over organizing a prominent committee or task force or anything else that I'm aware of, so what does it matter?

Just wondering...

marden
Baninated
Nov 1, 2006, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
I simply don't buy Kerry's explanation that he was referring to Bush. Kerry was at a college, addressing college students. If he really was trying to put down the President, then his responses to the criticism are completely off base. I know many Republicans are salivating at this, but I'm not too sure how much effect it will have on the elections. We'll see next week.
What we can discern immediately, however, is the effect that one damaging news item can have on the efforts to achieve a goal.

In this case we see that whatever Democratic momentum there might have been has come to a screeching halt. And how is that done? Because of PUBLIC OPINION. The kind of public opinion that the bashers have been generating against the war, Bush and America.

Every time there was a lamentable prisoner story in Iraq or Gitmo. Whenever there was a leak of national secrets to the press. Whenever the President said or did or didn't do a thing the bashers jumped on it and as much of an impact it had/has here it had and has as much of an effect on our enemies.

Many of you want to deny that it does but look in your hearts right now and imagine how others will act or react as a result of this terrible thing Kerry has said. Look in your heart and know the feeling that we live with and our soldiers die from each and every time you use public opinion as a weapon.

You say you are against the war but FOR the troops. You say you are FOR your country but against the war. But there is a fire goin on around the world and we are fighting it in Iraq and Afghanistan. Whenever you hurt the effort to extinguish that fire you get our firefighters killed because their enemies feel encouraged the way the conservatives now feel encouraged because of Kerry's comments.

You have THE RIGHT to say whatever you want, but that doesn't make what you say RIGHTEOUS. And you are only able to exercise those rights thanks to those who defend them for US and who are selfless enough to lay down their lives to help free those who would be enslaved in Iraq.

We aren't fighting the slaves we are fighting those who want the old slave system to spread and take root in Iraq.

It's as if you would slam Dr. King as he tried to win freedom for African Americans.

Please stop criticizing the war.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't really care whether Kerry is a bad guy or a good guy because of what he said. Frankly, not to sound condescending, but I don't understand why anybody else really cares either. We have always had Senators and other politicians that have said some crazy things, ala Santorum et all. Kerry is not really even in the public spotlight these days over organizing a prominent committee or task force or anything else that I'm aware of, so what does it matter?

Just wondering...
It's not. Republicans are just grasping for straws.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2006, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Conservatives: "People who disagree with me are evil."
Liberals: "People who disagree with me are uneducated."

One side abuses morality while the other side abuses epistemology, but both sides are abusive.

Ok I agree the joke was completely tastesless....and stupid!
But come on! If a survey were done of the people who 'volunteer' for Iraq it would no doubt be found they are exactly the kind of people who Kerry described and were dooped into doing it. Well, either that or if they had more education they would have realized they were being lied to and not gone in the first place.

Of course with most people making their political choices based on 30 second attack ads, even if Kerry were describing the reality using a bad joke, it would still get twisted into oblivion. Neither Bush/Cheney/Rummy or Rice for that matter have been to any war themselves. Rich people don't fight in pointless wars, they finance them!

What is the reality? That, it's not smart for any nation to send their best and brightest off to an unwinnable war is it?

Oh yea, I went there.

(ps) I guess I'm a liberal (though not the twisted American perception of one: since I'm not even american ) But I admit I have a habit of perceiving those who dramatically disagree with me as being less than smart...perhaps they just need more education??? (answer is yes! ofcourse!)
( Last edited by Nicko; Nov 1, 2006 at 03:21 AM. )

marden
Baninated
Nov 1, 2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Ok I agree the joke was completely tastesless....and stupid!

But really, I think if a survey were done of the people who 'volunteer' for Iraq are exactly the kind of people who Karry described were dooped into doing it. Well, either that or if they had more education they would have realized they were being lied to.

It wouldn't be that smart for any nation to send their best and brightest off to an unwinnable war now would it?

Oh yea, I went there.
Off of whose blood and tears do you traipse the world freely?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2006, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
Me neither.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2006, 03:35 AM

Sorry marden your're not smart enough to be off my ignore list yet. (yea I peeked!)

Not a personal attack, just a fact of life.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Kerry said Pres. Bush was intellectually lazy, getting us into this Iraq mess. Like how Republicans twist everything... like aways.
Forgive me, but I fail to see how Kerry's explanation of "referring to Bush" is anything but downright strange. Bush isn't in Iraq, while many people of the same age, socioeconomic background, and yes, level of education, as the ones Kerry was addressing are in Iraq. Surely it is far easier to reach the conclusion that Kerry was referring to these, not to Bush?

If Kerry truly did intend to refer to Bush, frankly I don't think he'd have worded it this poorly. Even Bush has enough talent as a speaker to avoid that kind of mistake, and that's really saying something given his recent slip-ups.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 09:55 AM

This is what kills me. Divisive rhetoric is what won him the primary. They've made Dean their official spokesman for the party, they've alienated folks like Lieberman from their party leaving it only to those like Kerry and Dean who continue sticking their feet in their mouth. Will they learn? Nope.
ebuddy

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
I predict that Wednesday after the elections we'll be hearing a bunch of whining about how the voting machines were hacked and voters were disenfranchised. The Dems have already got the ball rolling - expecting a dismal election day.

... and let's not forget that they've already found some ballots turned in by dead people. Apparently, this is the Democratic base they're hoping for to pull off some of the tighter elections. If they can just register a few more dead people and hopefully disenfranchise some military ballots, they may pull off the impossible.
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 10:02 AM

Why is it that the Right obsesses over some characters on the Left even when they aren't in power? You are in charge now, your rants about Clinton, Moore, Kerry, Sheehan, etc. are not necessary, they aren't stopping your beloved party from doing what they want to do.

It's like a sort of highly self-conscious personality lacking confidence/Stuart Smalley

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 10:04 AM

... and let's not forget that they've already found some ballots turned in by dead people. Apparently, this is the Democratic base they're hoping for to pull off some of the tighter elections. If they can just register a few more dead people and hopefully disenfranchise some military ballots, they may pull off the impossible.

Your level of partisanship is really off-putting, at least Spliffdaddy is in character.

I would hope that most here would welcome some additional checks and balances, because you sure as hell have no reason to trust this current government as much as many seem to.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 10:12 AM

This is what kills me. Divisive rhetoric is what won him the primary. They've made Dean their official spokesman for the party, they've alienated folks like Lieberman from their party leaving it only to those like Kerry and Dean who continue sticking their feet in their mouth. Will they learn? Nope.
Well, we can hope that they learn sooner or later.

Also, both parties are fully engaged in divisive rhetoric ("cut and runners", etc.).

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 10:14 AM

Clearly not his intent? How so? The entire audience sat stunned. This was a University in California mind you where he was invited to speak. This was not a hostile crowd towards him, but just following the "clearly intended" Bush joke, they sat completely quiet. If it was so "clear", you would've thought at least a couple would've gotten it. You could've heard a paper-clip drop. The dumb-founded look on his face when he pulled the pin on that one. Aww, pictures say a thousand words.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of those who mock John Kerry
John Kerry walks into a bar and sits down. Bartender walks up to him and says; "what's with the long face?"

and parrot back the lies of the Swift Boaters.
VVLF issues lawsuit against Kerry for lies against fellow soldiers causing undo stress to POWs and calls into question almost every aspect of his alleged hero status. Kerry was nothing more than a priveleged man who used the system to get himself out of combat. He's no hero jack. There are few who buy into his service record and a great many calling for opened records. You're all about wanting open records on this administration, but not any candidates for President eh?

Kerry continues trying to sue the VVLF into submission and this league of Vietnam Veterans (true heroes) need your help to get the truth out about our military and about Kerry's service... err, non-service in Vietnam. VVLF

A fair-minded person should be able to see that the Massachusetts senator is a genuine war hero and an excellent human being. Sure, you can disagree with his politics, but the character assassination is as distasteful as it is ultimately self-defeating.
It's not self-defeating at all. The swift-boat ads were extremely effective within the districts they ran. What was defeating was when Kerry spoke. Even more defeating was when his wife spoke. This was all the voters needed. They handed Bush quite the popular vote.

Losing is when we don't have a well-rounded representation in the House and Senate. I'm hoping the Dems pick up a few seats. They'll have to do it in spite of themselves and now in spite of Kerry. They'll never learn and when we return to this thread on Wednesday, I'll be asking for your take on how the elections went.

The elections are a little too tight right now for anyone to be talking smack like this.
ebuddy

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 10:16 AM

Well, we can hope that they learn sooner or later.

Also, both parties are fully engaged in divisive rhetoric ("cut and runners", etc.).
"cut and run" is criticizing policy ideals. Calling the President stupid is simply vitriolic and divisive rhetoric. Public representatives need to remain a little more disciplined in their rhetoric yet at every turn Dean et al. are sticking their feet in their mouth. I sometimes wonder how many elections they've botched because they can't just keep their mouths shut.
ebuddy

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Your level of partisanship is really off-putting, at least Spliffdaddy is in character.

I would hope that most here would welcome some additional checks and balances, because you sure as hell have no reason to trust this current government as much as many seem to.
Why not trust this Administration? Unemployment below 5%. Homeland Security measure proving successful. Market at unprecedented all-time highs through the worst tragedy this country ever endured, FAA grounding all flights foreign and domestic, Katrina, Corporate scandals, etc... the list goes on. I agree that a well-rounded House and Senate is critical. I'm skeptical whether or not the left side of the aisle can remain silent enough to win a few seats. They had it in the bag, but they're up to their old tricks again. This doesn't mean I want them to attain these seats on the backs of registered dead people.
ebuddy

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Nov 1, 2006, 10:28 AM

I noticed there were heckelers at his speech.
He was allowed to spew his hateful rhetoric so many absorb as gospel.
But the Minuitemen or Senator Allen aren't allowed their forum.

There's only freedom of speech when you're a Democrat apparently.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 11:34 AM

He's a Senator from Massachusetts and his initials are JFK. Democrats got confused, maybe.

He didn't say the word "Bush" or "President" and certainly didn't call him a "certifiable idiot who did poorly in school." Even saying that would have been misleading, since Bush, although not a fantastic student, didn't do poorly.

Well, we'll see. I won't be crying in my beer since I don't care who wins the elections and I don't drink beer. But I think that I should tell you something about chickens and counting them before they hatch.

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Did you even hear what he said?? He didn't say what you are saying he said. He didn't use the term "intellectually lazy" or use the President's name.

How many times have Republicans mangled a joke and ended up having Democrats call for their resignations?

What it comes down to is that, for one of the first times ever, a Democrat is being held to the fire for saying something.

Example: Senator George Allen supposedly said the "N" word 35 years ago (although nobody can prove it), and he's under attack. Robert Byrd, a former KKK leader, said it less than 3 years ago, and he's still serving as a Senator.

Let's look at it this way. Suppose the "joke" truly was Kerry's way of saying, "Get an education, because if you aren't smart, you end up leading the country into Iraq."

First, it's not funny.

Second, is he calling his colleagues who voted for the war uneducated and stupid? I thought Hilary Clinton was the Smartest Woman on the Planet.

Third, getting an education does NOT make someone smarter. It makes them MORE EDUCATED. I'm pretty sure that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are smart, neither of them graduated from college.

Fourth, the implication that can be read into the "joke" is that those in the military are somehow not intelligent, whether that's the intent or not.

I, personally, know two people who have served terms in Iraq. One, a friend, is 50+ and was called back into the Air Force after 9/11. He's been all over the world since then. He's also pretty well educated: He's a high school teacher.

The other, my sister-in-law, graduated top of her college class with a nursing degree, then went on to become a nurse anesthetist in an elite Army program, where only the best of the best even get in, and half still fail to graduate. And she graduated in the top 2 of her class of 12.

This also isn't the first time Kerry has said something stupid. But this is the first time anyone has made a big deal about it. Do you remember less than a month ago, he made an off-hand remark about, essentially, assassinating the President.

So how come Democrats are calling for Dennis Hastert to resign over the Foley thing before the facts even come in, yet, they are offended when someone calls for Kerry to resign over this?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Conservatives: "People who disagree with me are evil."
Liberals: "People who disagree with me are uneducated."

One side abuses morality while the other side abuses epistemology, but both sides are abusive.
Well said. You are my hero.

And those of us in the middle end up being called stupid AND evil.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post

This also isn't the first time Kerry has said something stupid. But this is the first time anyone has made a big deal about it. Do you remember less than a month ago, he made an off-hand remark about, essentially, assassinating the President.

Maybe it's that "liberal media" up to its dirty no-good slant again. After all, this is the same media that ignored Bush joking about WMD at the Radio and Television Correspondents' dinner. Apparently it's OK to joke about the reason for going to war when your sons/daughters/husbands/wives are being killed daily in that war, but it's not OK to make or flub a joke about the cretin who started all of this.

This is all a delicious strawman for the Repubs, you know it, we all know it, so argue about it but don't forget it's a strawman.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
This is all a delicious strawman for the Repubs, you know it, we all know it, so argue about it but don't forget it's a strawman.
Yeah, yeah, it's the big, bad, Rove-led Republican Campaign Machine (or as Kerry's people call it "Republican Hate Machine") that made Kerry say it.

The solution is simple: come out and say, "You know, I meant it as a joke, it came out wrong, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't mean to imply that our soldiers, airmen, sailors and Marines are less intelligent or uneducated. The truth is, our military is the finest and most well educated in the world and they are fine, fine people."

Of course, then he'd have to explain his accusations that those same fine people are "terrorizing" people in Iraq.

Instead of an apology, though, he comes out and digs a deeper hole.

Usually, strawmen don't actively dig themselves a hole.

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
It was a bad joke about Bush and had nothing to do with the troops.

The Blog | Taylor Marsh: Kerry's Mangled Statement a Distraction --updated-- | The Huffington Post
If this is true, then how sad that a hero of the Democrats who they tout as this sophisticated, Ivy League, New Englander, couldn't convey a message as simple as 'Do well in school, or you'll end up like Bush'.

I've read the transcript and I've watched the video clip three times. Anyone with a comprehension level above a 5 year olds can tell he was not talking about Bush. There was no jocularity at all. His demeanor and tone was of a bitter, nasty man. So the Democrats can either 1) continue to insist that he was refering to Bush and continue to look like idiots. 2) Agree with him and continue to look like the A**es that they are. 3) Distance themselves from him and condemn the man that was the best they could come up with in 04.

Kerry is the hypocrit of all hypocrits. He uses his military service as a badge of credibility to say that those who haven't worn the uniform do not have the credibility to oppose him. Yet says that those who do not wear the uniform are the ones that are smart enough to make it through the educational system. So whose the wiser Kerry? Those smart enough to not have to wear the uniform of our country? Or only those who have are smart enough to weigh in on matters of war and national defense? Oh I get it. It's only those that have worn the uniform of our country and then has utter disdain for those in the military that are the smart ones. I guess they would also have to marry filthy rich women too in order to meet his standards of what makes one smart.

The Left
Baninated
Nov 1, 2006, 12:19 PM

John Kerry has nothing to apoligize for.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 12:20 PM

I guess the irony here is that, if the joke was that Bush didn't do well in college, so he led the country into war, Kerry had worse grades at Yale than Bush did.

Maybe he was saying that if you don't do well in school, you get sent to war, get three purple hearts (two self-inflicted) and then use your service to inoculate yourself to criticism and justify your positions for the rest of your life.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Left View Post
John Kerry has nothing to apoligize for.

John Kerry = Chuck Norris = all that is perfect

marden
Baninated
Nov 1, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by John Kerry
if you don't do well in school, you will "get stuck in Iraq."

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Sorry marden your're not smart enough to be off my ignore list yet. (yea I peeked!)

Not a personal attack, just a fact of life.
(INSERT FOTO HERE)

Atta boy, I guess your motto must be, "like father..."

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2006, 12:27 PM

Wouldn't want the people to discuss any of the real issues would they?...

Forum Links
Forum Rules