Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No Pope Francis thread?

No Pope Francis thread?
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 10:36 PM

The pope and the devil: Is Francis an exorcist?

I'm having a hard time deciding if Pope Francis is good for the Catholic Church (and the world) or will besmirch the reputation of Jesuits for a thousand years.

Hell, I can barely believe a Jesuit is Pope.

Frankly, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Once Francis is bored of lecturing everyone about the evils of capitalism and selfishness, he'll certainly settle into a funk of anti-secular outrage until he drops dead.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 02:48 PM

This isn't new or shocking, but it will probably shock Evangelicals regardless:

Pope at Mass: Culture of encounter is the foundation of peace

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 02:56 PM

A Jesuit assuming the role of Pope and then naming himself after the patron of the Franciscans is not a gesture of unification; it's an internal declaration of victory in a bitter political feud that his faction has won.

Gestures he performs to the outside world are hollow and just that. Nice gestures, but completely irrelevant to how the church actually works. Nothing changes except for PR.

Far more interesting than his public relations are his historical relations, IMNSHO:

BBC News - Pope Francis and Argentina´s disappeared

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
A Jesuit assuming the role of Pope and then naming himself after the patron of the Franciscans is not a gesture of unification; it's an internal declaration of victory in a bitter political feud that his faction has won.

Forum Links
Forum Rules